“Alpine Gardens Hotel thee best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colt's Lodge

You added Colt's Lodge to your Saves list
Colt's Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1586 E Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264 (Formerly Alpine Gardens Hotel)   |
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Palm Springs
Sequim, WA
“Alpine Gardens Hotel thee best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We just returned home from another very enjoyable month at Alpine Gardens Hotel with owners Bill and Tom. Their Travelers' Choice Award #12 in the nation of bargain hotels is so well deserved. Our rooms are already reserved for the same time next year which will be our 15th annual return to Alpine Gardens Hotel. We could not recommend it more highly.
Linda and Fred Harrison, Sequim, WA

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had never stayed here before, but, decided to try it based on what I read on TA. The reviews are right...this is a great place to stay. First, the hosts are friendly and thoughtful. They made me feel welcomed. Second, the grounds are lovely: comfortable and inviting. The pool and jacuzzi are a good size for a small hotel. Third, the vibe here is very low-key and relaxing. This is the place to go if you just want to chill.

The room was comfortable (the vaulted ceiling made it seem larger that it was) and cutely decorated (my grandmother had similar wall hangings...it brought back good memories and made me chuckle). I would stay here again.

Nice job Tom and Bill. You run a great little hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My childhood memories include the annual two-week vacation where my parents drove up to different motels and where we were welcomed in real ways. In the course of time, we would sit under the awning and converse with the guests and the proprietor. If I was lucky there would be a pool to enjoy. I thought those days were gone, replaced by larger operations that sacrificed much in order to gain certain so-called efficiencies in terms of scale. But this is not the case. The genuineness that accompanied such experiences still has a home. It is at the Alpine Gardens in Palm Springs. I cannot begin to tell you how meaningful it was to me to rediscover this.
The owners, Tom and Bill, are wonderful people who take great pride in knowing and assisting their guests. (“How was your golf game?” “What are your plans today?” “Can I help in any way?” “Would you like a ride to the airport?”) Clearly all the guests I talked to felt the same way I did and many of them had visited on numerous occasions and for extended periods.
I believe the Alpine Gardens was built in mid 1950’s, so many of the rooms are larger, some with kitchenettes and from what I could see all had a very comfortable look to them. What may have been a parking lot at one time has been transformed into a superb garden (flowers, desert plants, palm trees, an orange tree etc.) a heated pool and hot tub area. (Both the pool and hot tub have been built with high quality inlaid tile construction.) Each spot has been thoughtfully created and the entire area is fanciful and entertaining. Everything is spotlessly clean and immaculately kept. With respect to room cleanliness I can only speak for my room but it was very clean and kept to that standard each day.
A continental breakfast is available. It is not a bacon and egg kind of thing but it has some good pastries, sweet loaves, English muffins, fresh fruit (bananas, oranges, apples and grapefruits) and an abundant supply of coffee. There is a toaster, a microwave and copies of the local newspaper. Sit under the porch areas or by the pool and enjoy the unfolding of the day. I did.

Room Tip: I think I would choose one that looked out at the pool and the garden area. You get the best of bot...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

friendliest hosts ever - rooms are nice and roomy (we had a jr. suite) - the decor outside is cute and whimsical - keeping with the whole vibe of palm springs decor --- the lounge chairs right out side our door and the sunshine got us to slow down and relax for a few hours....clean and safe place...if anything needs changing it may be the heater/ac could be quieter, otherwise absolutely nothing bad to say or complain about

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Burstall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Greetings Tom & Bill: I booked our 11 night stay based solely on trip advisor reviews and I have to admit I was a little leary because it seemed to good to be true...BUT...it was EVERYTHING I hoped for and more. The photos posted by other reviewers were bang on accurate. We were fortunate enough to get room #2 with a comfortable king size bed and kitchen. Housekeeping did a super job tidying our room and supplying us with fresh bath/pool towels daily. We golfed most days and always came back to a clean room that looked like it was the first day we checked in. I loved the two chairs just outside our room where every morning I enjoyed the complimentary coffee/fruit/danish. Our door was three giant steps from the pool! We used the pool and hot tub everyday and both were kept at a nice temperature and were always clean. The grounds were kept well groomed and immaculate. Staying here was basically like having your own private pool and spa...never more than 1 or 2 people utilizing the lounge chairs. Tom and Bill were there for us whenever needed but they were never intrusive. Tom greeted us and was eager to help us throughout the stay. He even printed off coupons for our shopping trip, recommended restaurants, provided festival details and printed off event tickets we had purchased online. One evening we had family over for a poolside supper and socializing. (BTW, the grounds look wonderful at night too!) Not knowing for sure if this was appropriate or that we might be intruding on the other guests, rest assured Tom graciously welcomes us all and brings us a wonderful tray of sweet desserts for our enjoyment. I have to say in all honesty, this maybe an older hotel but it is nicely decorated and exceptionally well kept and maintained...just like a home. The rooms kind of reminded me of staying in a quaint cottage in Canada (that normally you would pay the big bucks for to get that type of atmosphere). But, here you are still close to all amenities that Palm Springs has to offer and for a mere $10 you can catch a cab to downtown or for just $1 a bus which stops just around the corner. Don't get me wrong, every hotel has its pros and cons but I prefer to focus on the positives that this hotel and the staff have to offer. The hospitality and service we were provided outweighs the other bigger hotels where you are just another number. The Alpine Gardens is proof that "Bigger doesn't always mean better"!

Room Tip: Any room is poolside!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have just spent a wonderful weekend at Palm Springs at the Alpine Gardens Hotel. Bill and Tom are the best hosts ever. The pool and spa were fantastic and the breakfast coffee, orange juice (fresh squeezed I think) and breads and danish just delightful. I will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

How could Alpine Gardens Hotel be rated #8 on Trip Advisor!! I have traveled the world and stayed in many hotels but Alpine Gardens is definitely that little slice of heaven that travelers are always looking for. Tom & Bill pamper their guests; you ask, they provide! I have always found them to be VERY helpful. They are wonderful to chat with as they are a experts about events happening in the desert. As for the hotel, it is immaculately clean, comfortable, the rooms are charmingly decorated and the pool and jacuzzi are well maintained. My favorite thing to do is have coffee by the pool and watch the hummingbirds. Alpine Gardens Hotel is #1 on my list as a truly fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo