“Good hotel, resort fee and slow internet” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
3rd Night Free
Ranked #39 of 72 Hotels in Palm Springs
Cambridge
“Good hotel, resort fee and slow internet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Great bed and sleep quality. The property is quite large, and seemed to have nice pool and bar.

What pissed me off about this place is the resort fee that you have to pay on top of the room rate. On top of the resort fee they ask you to pay for faster internet in your room. Up to 3x faster speed for a fee. Speed test put the internet is 1mbps, 3mbps for extra cash does not sound like a good deal.

Advertising a rate of $100 then charging a resort fee means that your rate is $125. This seems like a dishonest business practice.

Location was good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to follow-up with us here on TripAdvisor. While I'm happy you enjoyed our property and had a great sleep with us, it's disheartening to hear we lost points for our daily fee. I do apologize if our resort fee was not communicated to you clearly, but it does come with a lot of free amenities, such as shuttle service, yoga, bikes and more. Please trust me when I say our intention is to never catch our guests off guard, so I apologize if that was the result. I sincerely hope that next time you're in need of a Palm Springs getaway, you'll keep us in mind. Especially now that our fee is out in the open.

Kindly,
Steve Rachmat, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great 9 day stay. Service and staff.... help and friendliness could not be better. I would have rated five star but pool bar,,, $30 for two drinks and Tinto's $85 EACH valentine supper was a little rich. It showed too as both were mostly empty. At half the price they would have been better patronized. We ate up the street at the Smoketree shopping area.

Room Tip: don't take the upgrade mountain view of the parking lot?? get a pool side room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your support here on TripAdvisor! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed every day of your 9 day getaway and will be sure to pass your kind words about the friendliness of the service and staff along to the team. Hopefully next time you're in need of a Palm Springs vacation -- you'll keep us in mind!

England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here as part of our Honeymoon Trip to the USA. This hotel is so colorful with very friendly and welcoming staff. We stayed two nights and had dinner in both restaurants Tinto and El Jefe. Both really nice, Tinto is a little more on the expensive side but the food is good, breakfast pancakes lovely in here too. Definitely try the Chilango Chop Salad, best salad I think I have ever had and have now downloaded the menu to make it at home. We stayed at Palm springs for some chill time between Vegas and LA and this hotel has a pool and two jacuzzi's. We got an upgrade to a pool view room upon arrival and the view was amazing of the mountains. Worth noting that El Jefe gets very busy in the weekend evenings with locals and can be loud so we sat on one of the tables within the reception area for our food as it was so busy we could not sit in there, but you cannot hear the noise in your room. Overall lovely stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms have an amazing view and Balcony to sit out on.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
I couldn't be happier that you chose our hotel to help celebrate your honeymoon trip to the USA! Congratulations!

My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share this glowing recommendation of our hotel here on TripAdvisor. It's simply fantastic that you enjoyed our restaurants, jacuzzis and upgraded room! It means a lot that overall, you had a lovely stay, and I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you need a Palm Springs getaway.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel is stylish and cool. Tinto has phenomenal food. But what will really stand out to you is the fabulous staff. Susan checked me in and I can not recall a more warm welcome to any hotel I've checked in to (and I work in sales!). Shannon (GM at Tinto) was marvelous as well. Top to bottom what an amazing experience. There's even ping pong in the lobby!

• Stayed February 2014
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Your support means a lot to us, Michael! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share this glowing recommendation here on TripAdvisor. I cannot wait to share your compliments with the team, especially Susan and Shannon, and hope next time you're in Palm Springs -- you'll keep us in mind!

Corona del Mar, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

They tried to upgrade this property by painting everything in a variety of pastel colors, adding small bottles of standard stuff in the bathrooms, and re-furnishing the rooms. The staff was helpful and it was clean. Nevertheless, the structure is a holdover from the 50's and is an upgraded motel with a swimming pool, two spas adjacent to the pool, and a ping pong table in the lobby. The building is 3 stories tall and only one elevator inconveniently located in the northwest corner. I rate this property 2 1/2-3 stars max. There was one bright spot and that is the 8:00 am yoga with Yoga Dave which is included in the room price. I way overpaid at $150/night.

Room Tip: If you can get a room here for under $80/night then stay on the 2nd floor off the parking lot and no...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to hear you found our team helpful, our rooms clean and even enjoyed a yoga session with Dave! Thank you, Georges, for taking the time to share this feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. You're right - we did take a motel and update it with vibrant colors and new amenities so we could become the go-to Oasis to enjoy the Palm Springs sun. That said, I'm sorry to hear you feel you overpaid, but we think our rates are competitive with the market. Overall, it sounds like you had a nice stay with us so I hope next time you're in Palm Springs, you'll keep us in mind!

Kindly,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Saguaro Palm Springs is a unique, boutique hotel that offers an array of amenities. The bright colors woven in the decor, linens and paint give the hotel a distinctly fun, retro feel. The staff is competent and the hotel is clean and well-maintained. My 16 year old daughter and I got a kick out of the Barbie Doll display in the lobby, and Sara was helpful with recommendations of things to possibly do while in town.

The convenient map we received when checking in also outlined what is included in the $25/day resort fee: self-parking, free use of the hotel's Cruiser bikes/helmets (during daylight hours only), hourly shuttle service to downtown and airport (with hours listed), Wi-fi and how to log in, 24/7 Fitness Center, daily yoga with times listed, free local calls, free USA Today newspaper, Business Center, Spa, ATM in lobby, and the listing of the pool and pool bar hours, which are open most of the day and night.

The pool with adjoining outdoor bar is quite large and inviting. And I might have gone swimming too, had I not been put off by a bit of a party scene hatching downstairs in the late morning hours. The loud, pulse-pounding music that a live DJ expertly had blaring during most of the day underscores the simple fact that there will be NO NAPS taken here folks. The sound literally penetrates the walls. So much so, that I thought they had left the music on in the room for us when we arrived. Not even the annoying bathroom fan would drown it out.

With all of this MTV spring break-like party infused atmosphere spilling over, you can be sure that there is a healthy share of party-minded guests in attendance. As well there should be. Looked like loads of fun. Except that we (along with a good number of other families) were in town for a cheer/dance meet, with most competitors falling roughly into the age group of 10-16 years of age. I wouldn't call the "action" that we witnesses before noon in the jacuzzi very family friendly. Unless you are starting one. Right then and there.

To be fair to The Saguaro, most other known, family friendly hotel venues in town were booked solid, months out from the date. (With over 300 teams competing, I should have known better, but this is our first year in the competitive cheer world.) The Saguaro popped up with availability, looked decent, and voila our weekend was handled. We were looking forward to making use the hotel's many amenities though there were some, we didn't even count on. I'll be sure and research boutique properties a bit more extensively in the future!

Room Tip: We were right outside of the jacuzzi, not sure if the acoustics are more muted farther away.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed, glowing review of our hotel. I'm happy to hear you appreciated our many amenities and found our pool large and inviting! That said, you are right about our party scene, so I apologize if this was not communicated to you clearly. During the week, we offer a more relaxed atmosphere, but on the weekends we are a getaway for fun in the sun. Overall, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll choose us again next time you're in Palm Springs!

Sidney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I arrived last Tuesday afternoon and departed Saturday morning and loved every moment of my stay at The Saguaro. My arrival had been delayed a day, but that was absolutely no problem. I felt very welcome and at home right away. Also, as a single, middle-aged woman, I felt very comfortable. Groovy kind of place, not posh or pretentious by any means, with super kind, professional staff all around. The bed and pillows are the absolute heaven! I slept like a log every night! Fantastic maid service every day. Beautiful grounds, and besides the lovely, big pool, there are 2 hot tubs. Great location with a strip mall across the road and bus service right there, too. This was a last minute trip, and I am sooooooo glad I did it! and can't wait to go back to The Saguaro! Thanks for a wonderful getaway!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Hearing you loved every minute of your stay truly means a lot to us! Thank you for taking the time to share your support by writing this great recommendation for us here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you slept like a log and always felt welcomed. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in Palm Springs!