“A bit of a party scene...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Splash Package!
Ranked #38 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles, California
“A bit of a party scene...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Saguaro Palm Springs is a unique, boutique hotel that offers an array of amenities. The bright colors woven in the decor, linens and paint give the hotel a distinctly fun, retro feel. The staff is competent and the hotel is clean and well-maintained. My 16 year old daughter and I got a kick out of the Barbie Doll display in the lobby, and Sara was helpful with recommendations of things to possibly do while in town.

The convenient map we received when checking in also outlined what is included in the $25/day resort fee: self-parking, free use of the hotel's Cruiser bikes/helmets (during daylight hours only), hourly shuttle service to downtown and airport (with hours listed), Wi-fi and how to log in, 24/7 Fitness Center, daily yoga with times listed, free local calls, free USA Today newspaper, Business Center, Spa, ATM in lobby, and the listing of the pool and pool bar hours, which are open most of the day and night.

The pool with adjoining outdoor bar is quite large and inviting. And I might have gone swimming too, had I not been put off by a bit of a party scene hatching downstairs in the late morning hours. The loud, pulse-pounding music that a live DJ expertly had blaring during most of the day underscores the simple fact that there will be NO NAPS taken here folks. The sound literally penetrates the walls. So much so, that I thought they had left the music on in the room for us when we arrived. Not even the annoying bathroom fan would drown it out.

With all of this MTV spring break-like party infused atmosphere spilling over, you can be sure that there is a healthy share of party-minded guests in attendance. As well there should be. Looked like loads of fun. Except that we (along with a good number of other families) were in town for a cheer/dance meet, with most competitors falling roughly into the age group of 10-16 years of age. I wouldn't call the "action" that we witnesses before noon in the jacuzzi very family friendly. Unless you are starting one. Right then and there.

To be fair to The Saguaro, most other known, family friendly hotel venues in town were booked solid, months out from the date. (With over 300 teams competing, I should have known better, but this is our first year in the competitive cheer world.) The Saguaro popped up with availability, looked decent, and voila our weekend was handled. We were looking forward to making use the hotel's many amenities though there were some, we didn't even count on. I'll be sure and research boutique properties a bit more extensively in the future!

Room Tip: We were right outside of the jacuzzi, not sure if the acoustics are more muted farther away.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed, glowing review of our hotel. I'm happy to hear you appreciated our many amenities and found our pool large and inviting! That said, you are right about our party scene, so I apologize if this was not communicated to you clearly. During the week, we offer a more relaxed atmosphere, but on the weekends we are a getaway for fun in the sun. Overall, I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll choose us again next time you're in Palm Springs!

Steve Rachmat, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Polish first
Sidney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I arrived last Tuesday afternoon and departed Saturday morning and loved every moment of my stay at The Saguaro. My arrival had been delayed a day, but that was absolutely no problem. I felt very welcome and at home right away. Also, as a single, middle-aged woman, I felt very comfortable. Groovy kind of place, not posh or pretentious by any means, with super kind, professional staff all around. The bed and pillows are the absolute heaven! I slept like a log every night! Fantastic maid service every day. Beautiful grounds, and besides the lovely, big pool, there are 2 hot tubs. Great location with a strip mall across the road and bus service right there, too. This was a last minute trip, and I am sooooooo glad I did it! and can't wait to go back to The Saguaro! Thanks for a wonderful getaway!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Hearing you loved every minute of your stay truly means a lot to us! Thank you for taking the time to share your support by writing this great recommendation for us here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you slept like a log and always felt welcomed. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in Palm Springs!

St. George, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We were passing though Palm Springs and found this on line at the last minute. It was a slow time in town and there were lots of options available. This sounded interesting, so we decided to try it. It is definitely a mixed bag. To be fair, we did not try all the amenities. We were only here overnight, so we didn't use the pool area or the spa.

Plus:
We only interacted with front desk. They were friendly and very helpful. 4 Stars
Location - Average 3 stars - nothing special, but nothing negative
Bed was nice, sheets were different and really nice, high quality. 4 stars
Soaps and shampoos in room were above average - 4 stars

Neutral:
This is an older property that has been somewhat renovated and spruced up. Looks like it was an old Holiday Inn with rooms surrounding the pool area. Very bright color scheme, was okay, but it really showed off the areas where upkeep wasn't up to par. A lot of dirty white was apparent on the outside. Dominant purple carpel showed every spill, etc. contrasting with orange ceilings and other bright colors was interesting.
The pool and central court area seemed to be nicely done, but we really didn't use them.

Cons:
Front desk volunteered to give us a complementary room upgrade. This offer was nice - so 5 stars for the offer, but the upgraded room was just a very basic one, so we can't imagine what the original one would have been like. Room was reasonably clean. The night stands and table both were dirty, in that they hadn't really been cleaned well. Furniture was mostly some interesting looking, but cheap and uncomfortable Mexican stuff. Sitting in the chairs for any length of time probably won't do anyone's back any good. The other things were very basic and all painted the bright colors to match the door to the room and bathroom area. Bed was good and sheets were well above average - mentioned in the plus area. There were some stains on the purple carpet. Room overall - 3 stars
Big property, but minimal elevators and three stories. Most rooms are a very long walk from elevators. Layout of hotel, made it a challenge to get from one area to another. The front desk apologized about this when we mentioned it so it was apparent that others had made similar comments. - 3 stars
Resort Fee - adds extra cost without corresponding value and makes it comparable total cost wise to quite a few more properties in Palm Springs. 2 stars
Entry to the room was from an outside, exterior open deck. Exterior/outside entrance to most rooms - 2 stars

We would stay here again without a problem, if it was the only option, but would most likely try out something else because this just wasn't anything special.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you taking the time to share this detailed review with us. Here at The Saguaro, we always welcome constructive feedback on how we can better reach our goal of continuous improvement to better serve our guests. While I'm happy you found our rooms comfortable and of high quality, it's disheartening to hear that overall, you found us only average. When it comes to your cons, I'm surprised a room upgrade was a negative point. It's our pleasure to go over and beyond for our guests so our intention was never for that to take away from your stay. As far as the cleanliness of our facility, we hold our hotel to the highest standards and have a professional team that cleans our hotel regularly. That said, I will be sure to share all this feedback with the appropriate parties so we can become not just an average hotel, but an exemplary one for you to stay at on your next Palm Springs vacation. After all, I'd love for you to experience all of our amenities.

Kindly,
Mississauga, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

First time to be in Palm Springs and found a seemingly good, last-minute deal online. With the additional daily resort fee, the rate became almost equal to more posh boutique hotels in the city.

The hotel is clean, quiet and colorful! It is very easy to find and the area is quiet, far enough from the noise of the main drag but close enough for a very short drive. The airport is a mere 5-minute drive. Checking in and out are a breeze. Thanks to the great reception staff. El Jeffe restaurant is quite good. Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to try Tinto, which is considered to be one of the best in town. The pool area is clean and well maintained. There is enough towel and loungers for the guests.

The room is huge, clean, comfortable and adequately furnished. The fridge is a bit noisy which fortunately, could be hidden behind the sliding closet doors. The good-sized bathroom is clean as well. The toiletries are adequate except for the bath soap which came in as a tiny square and was not replenished as needed.

In all, it is still a good value and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Pick the mountain view rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
I'm happy you chose our place for your first stay in Palm Springs! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share this great feedback. It's fantastic to hear you appreciated our colorful, clean and centrally-located hotel and I'll be sure to pass along your compliments to the El Jeffe team. Overall, I'm thrilled you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back!

La Habra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Very dog friendly hotel without a pet fee, they even provided us with poo poo bags upon check in. We brought our medium sized pug & french bulldog. You do have to sign a pet policy and they will charge an additional $50 if your dog urinate around the hotel area, there are specific areas outside of the hotel where they can go. I do not mind the colorful theme of the hotel, I find it interesting. We did not come during the summer, therefore we didn't have a problem with crowded pool parties nor did we utilize the pool. We enjoyed the balcony with a small table and two chairs overlooking the pool and grounds. MAJOR plus is the shower head, extremely strong pressure with a wide shower head.... Love it.... The location is approximately 2 miles away from downtown, across the street there is a grocery store. Overall a great experience, will probably stay here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hearing this glowing feedback is more rewarding than you know. I'm happy to hear you, your pug and your french bulldog enjoyed staying with us! Even happier that you liked our shower head and appreciated our large balcony. Next time you're in Palm Springs, I hope you'll keep our place in mind!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Our yearly trek to Palm Springs in January for some sun and fun was not disappointing. My husband, my two kids (4 and 8) and myself had the best time relaxing in the sun! This is a big review so get a beverage and prepare for an in-depth review.

Our usual hotel was booked up due to a golf tournament so I decided to shake things up and try a new place. I couldn't be happier with my choice!!!! The website for The Saguaro at Palm Springs made the hotel look fun, artsy, and kid friendly. Upon arrival (we checked in at 8:30 PM) we were stunned at how nice the place actually is. I believe it was once a Holiday Inn now retro'd up and updated.
We discovered that we were the only one with kids currently staying at the hotel. Midweek stays are best for kids as I have heard from staff and other guests that on weekends the hotel fills up with revelers and it can get crazy.
Bright colors envelop you wherever you go, there is a ping pong table open to guests right in the lobby, and the Tequila Bar El Jeffe had a solo musician cranking out some amazing cover songs.
Peter, the concierge, was extremely friendly, helpful, efficient, and professional when he checked us in.
The room was spacious and comfortable -- furniture is sparse. We had a room with two double beds. There was one small table with two leather chairs (not very comfy but they look cool), a four drawer dresser, a desk and one chair, a spacious bathroom, nook near the closet with a fridge, single cup coffee maker, and a safe. There are architecture and art books in the room. The fridge was a bit dodgy, but the staff was quick to fix the situation and the customer service was excellent! Bruce, the day concierge, and Susan, the manager, are very friendly, professional, and in my opinion incredibly competent (verging on awesome).
The air conditioning is great -- each room is self contained with its own fujitsu/halcyon unit on the patio -- but it was a bit loud and grindy outside on the patio You can't hear it in the room. In the room when the air turns off there are a few ticking/tap,tap,tap noises that might wake you up if you are a light sleeper.

The bed is comfortable and the pillows are splendid!

The individual rooms are well sound proofed. You can't hear noise from outside. We did suffer a bit with the upstairs room folks stomping and clomping, and we did not have anyone in the room next door so I don't know if other room noise might be a factor.
There are complimentary bikes for you to toodle around on if you are so inclined.

The pool is fantastic! It's the perfect temperature and the hot tubs are well maintained. There are no slides or a diving board, but it was great for my kids. The area is well maintained and clean and the staff are very friendly.
There is an area set up with croquet, bocci, and sitting areas spread out around the grounds.

Tinto, the restaurant, does not have a kids' menu, but our breakfast was really delicious with big portions.
We had lunch at the pool, El Jeffe, and if you have kids I suggest asking the server to hold the pepper/spice on everything. The chicken was extra spicy, but the restaurant gladly redid my youngest's sandwich without the spice. Our burgers were fantastic!

Overall I would give this hotel a heart five stars for everything! I value customer service and friendly staff and this hotel did not disappoint.

This hotel is extremely LGBT friendly and also family friendly.
The views are amazing.
As a bonus, the hotel is right across from a mall with a market where you can load up on snacks and drinks for your room refrigerator. The hotel is perfectly located to navigate the rest of Palm Springs.

This is perhaps the best family vacation yet! The value for your dollar, as far as amenities go, is worth it.

Room Tip: Ground floor units in building one have pool access.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Your support truly means a lot to us! Thank you, Shandeen, for taking the time to share this glowing recommendation here on TripAdvisor. It's simply fantastic to hear you and the family had the best time relaxing in the sun and your room was both spacious and comfortable. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the team, especially with Peter, Bruce and Susan, almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back.

All the best,
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The views made it for us - to open your curtains each morning and see the blue sky, palms and mountain tops - so relaxing with the pool glinting below !

Great rooms and lovely bathroom and accessories.

We liked the pool side with all the extra little places to sit and relax amongst the trees and humming birds.
The reception and bar area were great loved the Ping Pong table and little shop.

Will be coming back in 2015 X

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Loved every minute of your stay? Wow! Thank you for taking the time to share such a heartfelt compliment. It's simply fantastic to hear you liked our pool scene and enjoyed a game (or two) of Ping Pong. Next time you're in Palm Springs — I hope you'll keep us in mind!

All the best,
Steve Rachmat, General Manager

Been to The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!