“3-star hotel but 5-star service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Splash Package!
Ranked #38 of 69 hotels in Palm Springs
Culver City, California
“3-star hotel but 5-star service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed at the Saguaro with the hubby and the pups during their1st week of opening. The hotel has been recently renovated but you could tell from the layout that it was a former motel. Layout was very confusing and the remodel was a bit cheap. I go to Palm Springs to relax and prefer to stay at The Colony Palms or The Viceroy; this had more of the vibe of The Standard or Ace. It would probably be perfect for younger people wanting to party.

The 1st night we were there, we were jolted by the blaring fire alarm at 2am. In 38 degree weather, guests and their pups were forced to huddle outside for an hour or so while the fire department tried to solve the issue. The good thing was that the staff tried their best to make us comfy wit robes and some water, and the next day, the GM personally spoke to each guest to apologize for the hassle and provide us with some sort of compensation (in addition to the free breakfast).

Aside from the hotel service, both restaurants were quite good and worth the trip to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thanks for giving us a try. I remember that fire alarm on our opening weekend. It was definitely an inconvenience to us all, but I'm glad that we could help you feel a bit more comfortable while you were waiting to go back inside.

You're right, we are indeed a remodeled hotel. However, we've made several improvements since your last stay with us. I hope you'll come back and give us another try, and see how far we've come! Thanks for taking the time to review us.

Best,

470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

It's not the Parker so don't expect 5 star, but I thought it was a fun get away weekend. Not peaceful, but fun. Only complaint was breakfast. Too expensive for the selection and the morning service is the pits. Dinner is excellent though. Bring ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise and I wouldnt book outside rooms that face the street. Otherwise all good!

• Stayed April 2012
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Glad we could show you a great time! I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our breakfast. I'll definitely discuss this with our kitchen, as well as our servers. Thanks for your honesty. I hope to see you again next time you're in Palm Springs!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I spent the weekend (5/18-20/12) at The Saguaro Palm Springs and had the most amazing time. I frequent the Palm Springs/Palm Desert at least 2-3 times a year trying out new hotels searching for the perfect location to relax and recharge. I believe my search has ended and my permanent PS hotel is The Saguaro.

From the moment we arrived, Rosa the front desk clerk, greeted us and made us feel exceptionally welcome. She was genuinely cheerful and pleasant and informed us of all the amenities the hotel offered. The rooms were perfect! Clean, bright, and colorful, (just like the hotel) yet the colors are complimentary and not at all overwhelming. I do not agree with the previous complaint about noise from the pool area in the morning. In fact we were astonished at how sound proof the patio doors were. The pool music is loud enough for all to enjoy yet not be overpowering that one cannot have a conversation in a normal tone and without having to yell over the noise. The cleaning staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly as well.

If I were to complain about one small item was the poolside breakfast. I completely expect to and am comfortable with paying a premium on food at a hotel and specifically served poolside however the very small $9 breakfast burrito, with just eggs & chorizo, came without a side of fruit, fries, or anything. Or if had been slightly larger or stuffed with rice & beans to would have felt like a complete meal. Unfortunately I was left unsatisfied with my breakfast.

Regardless of this extremely minor glitch, not only do I plan to return before this summer is over, this may very well be the location for my 40th birthday party which is just around the corner.

All-in-all, we had a wonderful time at The Saguaro and will be back before this summer ends.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise or go to bed early, do not get a poolside/view room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
We're proud to be your favorite Palm Springs hotel! I'm thrilled that your stay was so comfortable and relaxing. I'm also glad that you enjoyed our vibrant colors — their energy is sure to put a smile on your face! Our staff is wonderful. I share this with Rosa and everyone else so they can hear your kind words for themselves.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your breakfast. We would never want you to be left unsatisfied, so I will definitely discuss your experience with our kitchen to see how we can improve. However, I'm happy to hear that you'd like to celebrate your birthday with us! We'd be thrilled to help make the most of our your day.

Thank you for reviewing us. We're looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm regards,
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I had this trip planned since January, but was stood up! Considered cancelling, and I'm so glad I didn't. Read many reviews and am so glad I didn't pay attention to them. This one was of the nicest hotels ever. The rooms are bright and colorful (I did request a green room but did not get one) and I loved it. The carpet is purple and brand new! The bathroom tiles are new. Really loved the aromatherapy bathroom items. Nice mini fridge and safe in the room. Bed was awesome and the air was nice and cold.
Crowd at the pool on Saturday was loud, but that's to be expected. I didn't care for the loud techno music, but maybe I'm just getting too old.
Will definitely be back. Now, heading down to try El Jefe! Hope it's as awesome as the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Glad we could show you a great time! You certainly have an eye for detail. I'm delighted that you were so impressed with our new renovations and toiletries. I hope you were just as happy with El Jefe! Thanks for the lovely review. Come back and see us again soon.

Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was the 1st time we were in PalmSprings and didn't know what to except. The Saguaro is convenently located to be able to enjoy the town. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a suite which was well appointed with a balcony overlooking the pool. The colors that were used were taken from the dessert flowers and were bright and colorful. The mountain in the back ground added to the wonder of the colors. We had a wonderful time and would return without hesitation.
We cannot forget the wonderful restaurant, great food and service was excellent. The ambiance was impeccable

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
I'm glad that helped we make your first trip to Palm Springs a pleasant one! You're right — the view of the mountain is absolutely breathtaking, especially against the backdrop of our vibrant colors. El Jefe and Tinto are both fantastic restaurants. I'm thrilled that you had a chance to give them a try. Thank you for the kind words. We hope to see you again next time you're in town!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We knew before we booked this was an old hotel redone. 24 primary colours and more modern. I went with my best friend, my teenage daughter and her bestfriend.

Upon check in, we were greeted by a very friendly employee. I love how they have little signs with bios about the person checking you in. We were given cold clothes to cool down and flavoured water shots. We were advised about complimentary yoga at 9am and free bike rentals. We then headed off to our room, we could tell this was an old hotel painted up. The elevator was slow but, it was clean. The hallway was scruffy. We opened our doors and to our surprise we were met with a very clean and LARGE room that faced East Palm Canyon Drive. We had more than enough room for 4 girls, there was a safe, fridge, desk, dresser with a flat screen tv, a bistro set for two and a balcony.

We loved the pool area. It was clean and, again we were met with friendly staff.

We called front desk so many times with questions as we went along. Each time we were met with friendly helpful staff. I told them 4 girls in one room for the weekend would require more towels. Within mere minutes we were given more towels we would need!!

We never heard any neighbours, and we slept very soundly in our comfy beds.

Upon check out, again met with kindness and friendliness - and a cold water bottle for the road.

I loved this place and I have recommended it to everyone. Its not posh, but its clean, happy and the staff are genuine - that can't be trained, that is from hiring good quality people.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay for a cabana room or be facing the inside at the pool. I took an exterior room an...
Jody,

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I'm glad that you found your room so well appointed, and with a beautiful view! I'm thrilled to hear that you were so pleased with our staff. They really are fantastic, and I will certainly pass this along so they can hear your kind words for themselves. I know they'll appreciate it! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, detailed review. We hope to see you next time you're in Palm Springs!

Best,
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Read in the Advocate that the Sarguro Hotel was the place to be for Dinah Shore Weekend. This was not true. Our room was dark but, with an amazing mix of wild colors, not very relaxing. In the morning we were awaken by Music from the pool. Many families and kids around the pool area. Where was Dinah Shore weekend fun? The staff in the Bars and restraunt were friendly. Prices were a little high. The colors used on the hotel take a little time to get used to. They grow on you after a while. We still had a good time here though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside looking at the Mountains are quieter than pool side rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with us during Dinah Shore weekend. We did not reserve the hotel for the event, so many families were with us on this weekend. Again, I apologize. We will certainly take this into consideration when planning the festivities for next year. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope you'll give us another chance to impress you!

David Curell, General Manager

Been to The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!