“5 Thumbs Up” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Vancouver, Canada
“5 Thumbs Up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Thumbs Up and Must Visit is the bottom line with my Saguaro Hotel Palm Springs review. Our choice of Palm Springs/Saguaro was based on weather, direct flight, same time zone, outdoor living, unique tasty dining, comfort and relaxation. My husband and I arrived at the Saguaro Palm Springs Easter Long Weekend on April 6th and stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is centrally located a mere 10 minute drive from the airport, 10 minutes from the Palm Springs Strip and 15 minutes to the Palm Desert Aquatic Centre. The Saguaro check-in was efficient and polite and the front desk were very obliging when requesting a 3rd floor room facing the pool with a king sized bed . First let me say that the hotel bed was extremely comfy with great linens and the room very quiet thus providing the best sleeps in months. The air conditioning performed superbly in the 95 degree heat. We love outdoor pool/patios and these facilities were top notch. We spent 2 afternoons around the pool embracing the toasty weather, lounging on the chaise recliners, doing a few laps, lunching on great burgers and swilling a few pops and margaritas from the patio cantina. On Saturday the hotel formed part of the 23rd Annual White Extravaganza around the pool where some 800 sun-worshippers partied. Recognizing we were there for a little R & R, the GM arranged for us to spend the day at a nearby hotel featuring 3 exclusive pools. This gesture by the GM was incredibly thoughtful albeit we did manage to get back early to take in the festivities. We embrace good food and drinks in warm and friendly atmosphere and the Iron Chef Spanish “Tinto” and the Tequila/Taco “El Jefe” restaurants were both exceptional. My husband also managed to hit the Palm Desert Aquatic Centre on 3 mornings for a more serious swim in the new 50 meter pool although the hotel pool is very adequate at 22 meters in length. See you back at the Saguaro soon.

Room Tip: Top Floor facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
I'm so happy to hear from you! It's always great when our guests enjoy themselves and take advantage of our resort amenities. I'm glad I was able to accommodate your need for a quieter atmosphere but that you still got to enjoy the festivities. It's also wonderful to hear that you liked the food at El Jefe and Tinto! We would love to welcome you back again any time.

David Curell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed here for a week in February and had a great stay. Say what you will about the bold color scheme - I found it to be very warm cheerful and welcoming. Coming from the Northwest I felt like the whole property represented what a trip to the desert should feel like. Big, open courtyard with the pool, tall palm trees, great food at the restaurant, a patio off the room for morning coffee, solid wi-fi and close to the downtown shopping. Make sure you take this property for what it is though. It is not a modern new-construction, not glitzy, but a freshly remodeled, comfortable and relaxing hotel that has very friendly staff and great food. It is just the type of place I look for when I am traveling and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I recommend the third floor rooms that look out over the pool
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
David,

It's wonderful to hear from you. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us so much and it's great that you liked the color scheme as well! It's a huge compliment for us as we are very proud of it. I know the staff will be thrilled to read your review as well. I do hope we'll be able to welcome you back again soon!

kay67
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I liked The Saguaro. My husband and kids liked it too. It was nice, clean, well kept, and that was it.
We had pool food a couple of times. My older son had a burger that he loved. I had some skewers that sounded divine, but ended up being average. It was grilled fruit on a skewer with pancetta wrapped around it. It was ok. I'm surprised something so mundane was served in a restaurant by such an acclaimed chef..that was a little disappointing.
If you're going here with picky children, note that they don't (or didn't) serve anything "picky kid" friendly. We went across the street to a great little Italian spot, called Giuseppe's, and everyone was satisfied there.
All in all, it was a nice stay. Clean rooms...hard pillows though...I normally don't notice that kind of thing...bring your own if you can. The ground floor rooms open to the pool, which is nice. In the hotel description they make it sound like you have a lovely patio area "that's furnished"..it sounds like it's a place to lounge, but, It's not. It's a concrete space that is part of the walkway around the hotel, and the space in front of your doors has two plastic chairs and a small table, just like all the rest of the rooms. I was suckered into that one. Still, I liked having direct access to the pool.
This hotel was a nice spot.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for your kind review! I'm so glad you enjoyed staying here with your family. We appreciate your comments about having kid-friendly food and will certainly take that into consideration moving forward. We would love to welcome you back again anytime.

Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

amazing staff, and I got to bring my Dog to dinner at the outside resturant! They even have spin and yoga room. Amazing music on weekends. The General Manager is amazing and went out of his way to look after me and my dogs,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
So wonderful to hear from you! It's great that you enjoyed your stay so much and found the staff helpful and accommodating. We would love to welcome you back again any time.

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

was here on business. The hotel focus is on the center courtyard which contains the pool and some lawn games. The color scheme grows on you after a while especially in the courtyard area. The purple carpet doesn't work for me but you don't notice it that much. The food that was catered was way above normal. The staff was great also. Our room was on the third floor with a small balcony and overlooked the pool area.

Room Tip: get a ground floor patio room each has its own landscaping
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed the refreshed paint colors and the environment of the courtyard. We would love to welcome you back again any time--for business or pleasure!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

Bait and switch, hands down.
Is the recession really this bad?
I'll start with the positive, the staff was great. Enough said.
The remodel of this property is pathetic, no excuse. Sue the painting contractor, then the design team. It looks like a bag of Skittles threw up and Barney picked the carpet. I can't believe the Teletubbies weren't working there. Hot Dog on a Stick anyone?
I'd love to sell a "fixer-upper" to the project manager that let this career-breaker past him/her.
They actually used paint to fill holes, stucco and even trim/grout tile. I'll lay 10 to 1 they oversprayed the buildings next door.
Nice, read cheap, finished lightweight self-leveling concrete floors in the lobby and restaurants. Home Depot?
Corrugated steel panels... Painted? Really?
Have you heard you can use OSB for that custom hardwood look? All the rage!

Not all guests are ignorant boys. Especially the type that frequent upscale hotels.
I usually stay at the LaQuinta Resort. You know... the REAL 4 star place down the road.
Calling this A 4 star hotel is like comparing a 4 banger 74 Pinto, with simulated wood paneling, to a modern 400hp luxury import based on the mere presence of a/c and power windows. "Power steering and brakes too!"

The restaurant has it's merits, but priced like a 5star beach resort on a private island. Bar prices are a joke.

Shame on Joie. Shame on Hotwire for being duped into selling this to their loyal and trusting client base without checking the property out first.
I will say, great bed considering it was a motel...

So they've got that going for them. Give 'em a shot ;o)

• Stayed March 2012
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
I'm sincerely sorry to read your review. We are very proud of our recent renovation, we think the colors (which were inspired by the blooms of desert flowers) are whimsical and fun, though we understand that everyone has different tastes. We also think the quality of our service and our amenities like our complimentary yoga classes make us stand out in the resort scene. I do hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

My partner and I agreed that we really enjoyed our first stay at Saguaro Palm Springs. While the property is only "months new" since its major renovation - we didn't stay when it was a Holiday Inn - we loved the colors, the energy and the youthful vibe of Saguaro. Our one bedroom suite was very comfortable - the bed was comfy and the linens crisp. We faced onto the courtyard and slept with our patio door open - quiet prevailed. During the weekend days, the pool had a fun scene and the DJ spinning added to all the sights and sounds. The staff while youthful and in some cases not highly experienced were helpful and always attentive. The fitness room wasn't open yet so we enjoyed our swim at the Palm Springs pool which is close by. Our favorite bar restaurant was El Jefe where the margarita's hit the spot and the fish tacos were delicious. The bartenders and servers were "the best"; we'll be back. Saguaro will now be our first choice for Palm Springs! Love love love the colors!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad you and your partner enjoyed your recent visit with us. It's great to hear that you found your room comfortable and the pool scene fun. I know the staff will be thrilled that you appreciated their service. Our fitness room is open now--so feel free to come back any time!

David Curell, General Manager

Been to The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!