“This Magical Place in the Heart of Palm Springs” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
New York
“This Magical Place in the Heart of Palm Springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I searched and searched but found myself coming back to the Hyatt Regency Suites. Why hope for an upgrade to at least a Junior Suite somewhere else when this Hyatt is all suites and its the only hotel on Palm Spring's "Broadway" Palm Canyon Drive in their downtown.The lobby is modern and sleek in the manner of other great Hyatts but this one has the views of both snowcapped mountains, an immense pool and Spa as well as a most beautiful golf course that is trimmed with swaying palms, fruit trees and fragrant flowers. Even before we arrived we were given excellent service with Kevin who drove us in the Hotel Shuttle(this shuttle could take you anywhere within 3 miles from the hotel). Our rooms were ready well before the 3PM checkin time. The flat screen televisions were large and in both rooms. The refrigerator and if you desire a microwave oven was a convenient addition and the large marble bathroom gave the unit the feel of an elegant Meditteranean hotel. While this hotel does not have Regency rooms and adjacent lounge there is a 5 to 7 PM Appetizer Presentation in the Bar Lounge which served diverse and tasty food except for the Tamales which was not my cup of tea. Special thanks to Sherri, the Front Desk Supervisor, Will and Jenna at the Front desk but especially Dan Putnam, the Hotel Manager. After I had a problem about the car rental and thought we would be without a car he made a call and all of a sudden our rental car was in front of the hotel, like magic! But I think those views from both our front window with a view of Palm Canyon Drive framed by the beautiful mountain ranges and their snowcaps as well as our terrace view which I described above made every morning, afternoon and evening a true commiseration with natural and man-made beauty. There was real furniture on this terrace that was comfortable and included a good size table for some midnight champagne as you gazed on the "fire pots" that surrounded the well-lit pool and spa. Again the staff gave us so much time to tell us all about Palm Springs and the great attractions including the Aerial Tramway, the Living Desert in Palm Desert, the Palm Springs Follies(don't miss it) the Indian Canyons and also the Joshua Tree National Park. We are considering relocating to this area and the staff also gave us a full picture about the different areas to live(thank you again,Sherrie). This hotel was truly immaculate and well maintained. I am already planning my return to Palm Springs and the Hyatt. There is a warmth here and a sense of real serenity. Besides, you can even bring your small dog here and while I saw them walking around I never heard a bark from them! If you dont have a car you can survive here because many attractions and great restaurants are within walking distance from here. So in conclusion, if its romance you want, a calming place for the family or friends this hotel has the charm and lovingness that makes for a most memorable stay and adventure!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
And the magic continues. WOW...I really enjoyed reading your review of our hotel...it makes me want to stay there!!!! I guess that's why I love working here so much. I truly appreciate you recognizing the outstanding service you received from our employees, especially Kevin, Sherrie, Will and Jenna. It makes them feel so good when a guest personally recognizes them for a job well done. We share all of our guest comments at our monthly employee rally and this one will be right at the top of the list! I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We want our guests to relax, have fun, and destress while they are here. I'm glad we created lasting memories for you and can't wait to get you back in Palm Springs. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this site about our hotel for everyone to read. It means the world to us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Korean first
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Very nice hotel with a great location. The bar staff is exceptional, a special thanks to Ember. The hotel manager is serious about customer service, he is definitely approachable and will make things right.

We had a great time and hope to return! The only real drawback are the many hotel fees - resort fees, parking fees and taxes really add up.

• Stayed February 2011
Another happy guest makes me a happy manager!! And the nice comments about Ember will be shared at our next employee rally. Yes....there are other fees than just the room and tax. We do charge for parking - but proud to offer an underground parking garage right in the heart of downtown Palm Springs. To stay competitive with the market here, we do charge a $15.00 per night resort fee but we have added a few more items to the list so our guests receive some great value from this. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and write such a wonderful review on our property. We work hard to please our guests and I'm glad we shined in your eyes! Can't wait to have you back at the hotel...we truly appreciate you!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

It was a well located hotel and very nice, if u rent the cabana suite dont take room 109 or 108
unless u can sleep through everything. breakfast was great and jose deserves a raise... we liked the location and if u like ac/dc then hair of the dog pub across the street kicked butt.
pool was nice, internet was included for us but can be expensive.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Very nice...thank you for the kind words and sharing your experience with all of our trip advisor friends. We love taking care of people and providing memorable experiences for our guests every day. Next time....induldge yourself on the internet...because it is included in the nightly resort fee - no extra charges there. Our cabana suites are truly amazing. Nothing better than waking up in the morning, brewing a great cup of coffee and sitting outside in your private cabana enjoying the beautiful sunshine and glorious mountain range. Come back and stay with us soon - our doors are always open. Cheers!
Fakapuna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Upon arriving at the Hyatt I pulled up front as the sign indicated to check-in, valet is also located there. As I arrived at the front a valet approached my vehicle and I informed him I wanted to check in and valet of my vehicle was not needed. He appeared annoyed that I would drive to the front, that's where the sign directed me to check-in! He also appeared uncomfortable instructing me where to park temporarily. I checked in at the front desk and the clerk was not rude but she wasn't exactly welcoming. I eventually got to my room and it was nice and clean. I didn't care for the down feather pillows because when you lay your head on them your head sinks to the bed and it is as if your not laying on a pillow. Anyway I scanned through the hotel directory book and found it quite funny (in a sad way) that for a 10lb bag of ice that you normally pay less that $2.50 for at the store, the Hyatt charged $25.00. I didn't need any ice but just thought I would mention it. Anyway, be prepared to spend approximatley an extra $35 per night for "resort fees". Being there on business I didn't have time to use the amenities so I found these charges a bit much. Also, the walls are paper thin, I heard kids from one room yelling and screaming and people thumping on walls from another room. It was also a pleasure watching men in their 40's and 50's drunk stumbling through the hallways being obnoxious as if there wives let them out of the house for the first time in years. Oh well, the property is very nice and they do have enourmous parking spaces in the self park lot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Well I can tell you one thing....I'm definately changing the price on the ice - you are correct...that's way too much money!! It is always welcoming to receive feedback from our guests as this helps us change a price, a procedure, or even an experience that the guest may find dissatisfying. Our resort fee is $15.00 per night and is very competitive with all the other hotels in the area. The fee includes several amenities such as bottled water, wireless internet, business center, fax, free local calls and complimentary appetizer during happy hour. I'm sorry you did not take advantage of it. I will also follow up with our Valet staff. They are truly some of the best employees at the hotel - always ready to assist and help with a guest arrival. I know we are not perfect....but we certainly care about our guests and their overall comfort with the hotel. I hope you come back and visit us in the future - we love our guests. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. Have a great day!!
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I have stayed at this Hyatt a few times, but this one takes the cake. I checked in and got to my room on the 5th floor - of course the key wouldn't work. I go back downstairs and the front desk person made me new ones, again didn't work. I again go downstairs and the front desk guy said my companion must be in the room and have the deadbolt on. My companion was standing next to me. After going through this song and dance about someone must be in the room, he finally calls someone to use their master key. That key didn't work. Instead of changing me to another room, I had to wait until they fixed the lock. Once inside I find someone else's t-shirt, as well as straws from a juice box. In other words, the housekeeping didn't do their job.

I have given this hotel numerous chances to redeem themselves, but it just doesn't work. I will have to try other hotels in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your last stay with us. We stive to provide excellent accomodations and service to every guest and sometimes we don't always hit the nail on the head. I will definately be sharing your comments with our team so that a future guest does not have to experience what happened to you. I hope one day you will be able to forgive us for this. Next time I encourage you to contact the hotel manager if the staff is not helping resolve the problem. I am always here for my guests and want to ensure they have a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for sharing your feedback as this helps us identify areas in the hotel that need attention.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I recently completed a stay here. The best thing, to me, about this hotel is the location. It's in the heart of downtown and being able to walk to all the stores and restaurants of downtown was a nice benefit. Other than that, it's a large convention hotel with inexperienced staff, albeit who mean well.

We used a Diamond Suite upgrade which is totally not worth it here, unless you can get something other than a "Premier King." All that is, is a standard room with a view of the mountains. I was really hoping for an Exec or VIP suite or one of the pool suites, but I was told that no further upgrade could be given to me.

We chose the cheese plate and a bottle of champagne for our Diamond amenity. The champagne was fine, but our cheese was a package of Boursin that was 1 week past its expiration date. We didn't bother getting a replacement. I also noticed that the room next door also got a diamond food & beverage tray because they left it outside their door. However, the room next door got a nice handwritten note from the hotel, which we did not get. I don't really care about a welcome note, but I thought it was strange we didn't get one.

The renovations are ok in this hotel, but I think they used way too much brown--brown carpet, brown furnishings, etc. It makes everything seem really dark and the spaces smaller than they really are and was true for our room in my opinion.

We did self-parking which was $15/day. I probably didn't need to do that since there seemed to be plenty of street parking, so I'll know that for next time.

The pool is nice, and the fire pits are a nice place by which to sit. There was one waiter/server in particular by the pool who was very attentive and helpful.

We only ate breakfast in the restaurant. It was decent and featured the standard Hyatt breakfast menu (sticky bun french toast, zucchini fritatta, etc.) We were allowed 1 entree and 1 drink which was fine. On weekends, they have a buffet.

Service overall "did the job." It wasn't exceptional, but it wasn't terrible. I did see lots of "trainee" signs and talked to some employees who informed me that they had just moved to the area, which makes me think that Palm Springs in general has a low supply of people to work in hotels, restaurants, etc.

In truth, I really just came here for the stay credit. The Diamond treatment was pretty disappointing to me and doesn't entice me to come back. In Palm Springs, I think I'd prefer one of the boutique hotels with more character or renting a house to get a more "Palm Springs" experience.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
To our loyal Diamond member - thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. We truly make every effort to ensure our guests have a great stay. Unfortunately we do not have a whole lot of upgraded VIP suites because all of our rooms are two room suites with over 600 square feet of living space and large balconies. Our cabana suites sell out every weekend so it is difficult to upgrade our Diamond members to these specific rooms. I'm sorry you felt it was just a standard room. All of our diamond members also receive the same amenity options. We also send amenities to guests when we hear of a special occasion and that's probably why there was a note on the tray you saw in the hallway. Our guests mean the world to us and I hope that if you ever stay with us in the future that you reach out to our management staff to assist with anything you may dislilke so we can try and make it right for you. Warm Regards, Dan
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

All rooms are suites, modern decoration, and very accommodating for our party of three. I liked that there were large LCD tv's in both the bedroom and living rooms. The atrium is dated and extends a cold cavernous feeling to the hotel. Architectually the building feels dated. If you choose to stay at the hotel, it has an excellent location at the center of Palm Springs. Request a canyon facing view to avoid the street noise emanating from the main strip.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Thanks for staying with us while you were in Palm Springs and for providing feedback on your experience. I'm sorry you felt that the hotel was outdated and want to let you know that we recently completed a full rennovation in Dec 2009. Our two room suites are the standard at our hotel which gives you over 600 sqft of living space - perfect for a family of four to six - I'm so happy that you enjoyed the room accomodations and the convenience of being in the heart of downtown Palm Springs. I hope you will come back and see us in the future.

Been to Hyatt Palm Springs? Share your experiences!