“3.5 for the staff and location” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Washington DC
“3.5 for the staff and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

I honestly don't like writing negative reviews. I really don't like it when the staff is great but the condition of the hotel lets the great staff down. I'll expand on some of the information provided already by some previous reviewers who were there when we were there or immediately after. Keep in mind for comparison purposes, we checked out of the Hyatt Regency Palm Springs and then checked in to the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza which was amazing (there's a review for that coming soon).

The hotel location couldn't be better. It's on the main street in Palm Springs and easy walking distance to restaurants, shops, spas, etc. However, if you're facing the hotel, the entire plot of land on the left is a MAJOR construction zone. Everything from the hotel to the Marilyn statue is pretty much undergoing major demolition. I would not want to stay in that section of the hotel for any reason. It also limits you to crossing the street to walk down the side walk.

I would strongly recommend you demand a room on the right side on a high floor where the bedroom balcony over looks the pool. If you stay on the left hand side of the hotel, you'll either have a street view on one side and an atrium view on the other. Otherwise, you'll have a view of a busy street from your bedroom and an atrium view from your living room.

We stayed in the right hand section of the hotel with the back of our room overlooking the pool, golf course and mountains. The room was on the 6th floor. The layout has the roomy living room in front and a roomy bedroom in the back. You had to walk out to an exterior corridor to get to the room but that was not a problem.

Here are the problems. While house keeping did everything within it's power to ensure the room was clean, it needed to be redone. There was a large torn and frayed section of the rug next to the bathroom door (a 5-6" long and 1" wide gash with frayed edges...unmissable). The ottoman in the living room was showing visible wear and tear. The hallways inside had brown carpet that was more than lumpy and worn and the walls were marked by smudges The elevator groaned and grated with every trip to the point everyone in it looked at each other wondering if we were going to get stuck.

Our living room did overlook the Voodoo (not sure if that's the name) lounge. We were there enjoying the warm weather and wine so the singing on Thursday and Friday night was no problem.

Parking....well it seems to be a city owned garage under the hotel and our second night there, they instituted an all valet policy because the city was concerned about safety. Yes, it was $25 a night which seemed steep.

On to the staff, they were wonderful. I would especially like to mention David who tends bar both inside and outside at the Voodoo lounge. He was amazing and made me feel like a guest at an old friend's house. Everyone else was also great. They have done an exceptional job at hiring caring staff.

Location? Main street Palm Springs...need I say more? Thursdays there's a market right on that street (David insisted I go and I loved it).

If I could afford the Ingleside Inn, I would probably stay there while in Palm Springs next time. Otherwise, I would go back to the Hyatt.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

There are two sides to this hotel. One is much newer than the other. My room had a very nice view of the pool, mountains, and golf course. But it was decorated and last renovated in the '70's. The other half of the hotel is much newer but the rooms face the road which is very loud. The hotel really doesn't have a restaurant, only a bar that serves a very limited breakfast. There are a few restaurants nearby though. Also one last note: the hotel is situated next to a massive construction project. It won't be complete until 2016 or so. And the construction workers get up early!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Santa Paula, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We arrived around 2pm in the afternoon to check in to our hotel and Darlene was very helpful and friendly. Room was ready and check-in took only a few minutes. After handing me my keys, she cheerfully explained all the fun things going on over the weekend, including the singing at the VooDoo lounge. At the time, I did not realize the Hoodoo lounge would be located directly below our room, however, more on that later :)

Room 407 is in a part of the hotel that gives you both a view to Palm Canyon drive as well as a view of the beautiful mountains, pool and golf course from the back bedroom. The access to the room was in an "outside" hallway, reminiscent of a motel, but once inside, the room looked to be updated, the carpets looked immaculate and everything was in order. I personally enjoyed the more minimalistic modern touches, with the dark browns and the burnt orange theme. It's set up very much like an Embassy Suite room, where you have a nice couch in the living room area, connected to a hallway that contains the bathroom area and a small counter/bar area that contains the coffee pot and a small fridge under the cabinet and behind a door. They only thing they REALLY need to consider is adding a small microwave to the room. A fridge is great for storing left overs from dinner, however, you have no way to reheat them to eat later. It makes bringing home your left-overs rather silly. Bathroom was nicely sized, plenty of counter space, a nice little vanity area with a 3-sides full size mirror with outlets for doing make-up and hair, which worked out nicely considering we were there for the Spirit Sports Duel in the Desert cheer competition. We come with an entire arsenal of make-up and hair supplies and the space was much appreciated. We chose a King sized bed and there was plenty of room in the bedroom portion of the room with a huge sliding glass door that took you out onto a nicely sized balcony with patio chairs and a table, which overlooked the pool, the beautiful mountains as well as the pretty and green golf course/palm trees all along the back. As far as views go, it probably doesn't get much better than the rooms on this side of the hotel. At night, it was neat to look out over the pool and see the firepits they had going each night around the pool area.

My only complaint of the entire stay involved the Hoodoo Lounge and the "entertainment." Darlene had explained there would be music and dancing, etc. I thought to myself, "How nice.." as she was explaining it to me, however, that evening at 7:45pm when we had returned from dinner and were trying to sit in our living room area to watch TV, we realized you absolutely cannot hear a thing because the music/singing from the Hoodoo lounge outside/below your room is blasting.. We could lock ourselves in the back bedroom area to watch TV and close the thin door, but that still did not drown out the sounds of the man singing what sounded a lot like bad karaoke at times. I will say, certain songs were not that bad but we decided to leave the room. I stopped by the front desk and chatted with Darlene, and politely asked when we might expect the "entertainment" to stop. She assured me that he would be done singing by 9:30pm. She did offer to change our room, but we were already settled in and honestly, we liked the room and view--just not the blasting music from the bar. She was sweet and apologetic but I told her we'd just head for walk down Palm Canyon and do some sightseeing until it was over. But if you will be bothered by VERY loud music, and VERY loud "lounge singer" type music, perhaps you would be better served to request a room as far away from their Hoodoo lounge as possible--the only downside is, I do think these rooms on this side of the hotel have the better views, because they overlook the pool area/back mountains/golf course. If you can plan your evenings to be out of your room until after 9:30pm, there would be no problem. Any time I looked out there, there were very few people actually listening to the singer, maybe 2 tables had people at them. The second night, we noticed that he stopped singing early. We had been in our room by 8pm and sometime around 8:45pm we noticed there was no longer any loud music and noise (we had decided to try and stay in the back bedroom to get away from it.) We wondered if he gave up singing because nobody was there to entertain...regardless, we were happy for the peace and quiet. After 9:30pm, it was always very quiet and we slept very good in the room after that.

The location is amazing. We walked up and down bustling Palm Canyon drive, went to take the obligatory pictures under Marilyn and stopped at Cold Stone Creamery for an ice cream on our way back. As far as location, it doesn't get much better than this. We easily walked to the convention center one day of our event, as well.

Where I felt the Hyatt shined was their valet service. Yes, it was $25/day for valet. I personally found that a small price to pay to keep my vehicle safe, never having to walk to it, and we never waited more than a few minutes before they had my car ready. What I really liked was they knew me by name and whenever I walked out there, it was always, "Good morning or good evening, Mrs. B****..." and when I returned, my door was always opened with a "Welcome back, Mrs. B****..." I was treated as if I was one of their most regular customers, yet it was my very first time staying in the hotel. Maybe they don't have very many people using their valet, or people don't want to spend the money, however, I personally felt it made our entire stay here at the Hyatt a more personal experience. The people they employ at the valet are doing a fine job, please let them know that!

All in all, we enjoyed our stay very much. My daughter has already requested that we stay here again for our competition next season and I most definitely would have no problem staying at this hotel again the next time we make it to Palm Springs.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, request one AWAY from their Hoodoo lounge. But I do think the views on th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Our recent stay at the Hyatt Palm Springs was delightful. Accommodations and staff were exceptional. A great value for the money. The location on Palm Canyon Drive is definitely a perfect place to be when in Palm Springs. The weekly Thursday night street fair begins right outside the front door. Hotel shuttle is convenient and quick. Our room was large, clean, and comfortable. We will definitely make this our Palm Springs hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel and thought it was nice...centrally located and roomy. However, there was never enough staff at the front desk, which left long lines of customers waiting. Once finally able to speak to the hotel clerks I learned that they were extremely confused by the easiest task. Because of this, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I got my credit card statement a few weeks later and saw that they charged me twice for my room. I had pre-paid in full for my room months before staying there, which the clerk confirmed both at check-in and check-out, had no incidentals (again confirmed by the clerk at check out) so there is not possible valid reason for this charge. I have tried calling the billing department several times and there is never any answer and I am always greeted with a message saying that their inbox is full and therefore I cannot leave a message. Seems awfully convenient to me...anyway, now I had to file a dispute with my credit card company, which is a real pain.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

They charge a daily "resort fee" that includes access to the pool and hot tub, gym, internet, and 2 bottles of water a day. We were unable to connect to the internet even though we followed the instructions as registered guests. Finally called downstairs and was told we need a code. Perhaps they should provide that at check in since it is part of the resort fee. If you think the gym is a spa/resort gym, think again. It is a standard small hotel gym with a couple of pieces of cardio equipment. What about the hot tub? Out of service. The bottles of water? Housekeeping forgot to replenish. Parking is overpriced. Luckily there is plenty of free street parking all around the hotel. Staff? Front desk was very put off with helping solve the internet issue. Common areas outside our wing were in need of some upkeep. I would go easier on this hotel if it didn't bill itself as being a resort. It is not and as such it should not charge a fee for amenities it does not provide.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Palm Desert, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I came with my 2 boys and we really like this hotel especially the location right downtown, you can go almost every where in downtown palm springs without a car.

The cons is the noise of the street just across, because of that we all didn't sleep very well, maybe the location of the room wasn't the best of the Hotel..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Palm Springs? Share your experiences!