“Awesome Coachella Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 69 hotels in Palm Springs
Calgary, Canada
“Awesome Coachella Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Hyatt Palm Springs for 1 night during the Coachella music festival. This hotel is beautifully kept, with an awesome pool area. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable, with a balcony view of the mountains/street. We were facing the street and it was very quiet. The restaurant at the hotel offers complimentary appies from 5-7pm (veggies & dip, mini burritos, pico de gallo, etc) which was a nice touch. We ate at the restaurant in the bar, the service was great and the portions were large. Although we ordered simple sandwitches, it was very good. The pool area is to die for, with cabana seating, misters, and personal fans. Bar service is frequent and reliable! Hotel has plenty of vallet parking for a reasonable price of $20 per day (considering of course the caliber of this hotel). Loved our stay! :) Would recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I'm so happy to read that you had a great stay with us as we strive to always be hospitable and provide clean and safe accommodations for every guest. Palm Springs is about getting away from the hustle and bustle of every day demands and I'm glad you were able to enoy the getaway! Thanks so much for taking the time to express your experience on Trip Advisor. See you next year for Coachella Fest!!

623 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Newport Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I am the kind of hotel guest that pays attention to detail.

We did have a mishap in our first room where the toilet overflowed. That was unfortunate but I realize these things happen. The hotel staff handled it nicely and professionally. WE were moved from a street view room to a mtn view room. Notably, Engineering responded rapidly and offered us breakfast vouchers, which was very nice.

Here's my experience....

I noticed trash and cigarette butts in the landscaping out by Hoodoo's Bar. I realize guests will toss cigarettes and trash on the ground but the hotel staff should constantly be inspecting the property to make sure it always looks in tip-top condition. I noticed the trash and butts Wednesday evening, and they were still there Thursday afternoon!

The Pool:
The Pool Deck was FILTHY. It needs to be pressure washed or at the very least, hosed down daily. The bottoms of my feet and my husband's feet would turn black from walking from our lounge chairs to the restrooms. Our pool towels would get soiled from our feet. Also, the drain grills were clogged with debris.

The Front Desk Personnel:
I had left my straw hat poolside on Thursday. On Friday morning, I asked the front desk girl if it had been turned in. She barely listened to my whole explanation before telling me nothing had been turned in. She barely looked up at me and definitely didn't check the back office. On Saturday morning, I called the front desk to see if the hat had been turned in. I was left on "perma-hold" and hung up. However, upon checking out, I asked the front desk employee who made the effort to check in the back and it was there!

Our room:
As mentioned, In our first room, the toilet overflowed so we were upgraded from a street view room to mtn view room. The view was better. The plumbing seemed sketchy and we were concerned about another overflow. Fortunately that didn't happen again. The room was pretty clean but we found an empty tequila bottle behind the curtains. The room was also lacking an ice bucket.

Dining Room:
While eating breakfast, the table across from us was a group of Hyatt hotel management conducting interviews. I work full time and the last thing I want to overhear on vacation is someone being interviewed for a position at the hotel. It made for a less than enjoyable breakfast experience. I can't imagine that there aren’t other rooms or other areas out of guests’ ear shot where interviews can take place.

Some positives:
The best part of staying at the Hyatt P.S. is the location. It is awesome that the hotel is walking distance to so many to shops and restaurants!
I asked for a Cabana to use at no charge because of the room issue. We were graciously accommodated. Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised that the Cabana included water and fruit which I was not expecting. In addition, we were allowed to use the Cabana at no charge the 2nd day (less the fruit and water which was fine).

The pool staff was really great, especially Miriam. She actually went out of her way to try and find my straw hat by asking other pool staff members and housekeeping. She also offered great customer service.

The day we ate breakfast in the dining room, the waiters were really great and offered excellent customer service.

I apologize for the lengthiness of this survey response but I think it can only help your hotel. Honestly, if someone were to ask me where to stay close to downtown Palm Springs, I’d probably have to refer them to the Hilton or the Renaissance. I’ve stayed at both hotels and had much better experiences there.

Room Tip: Stay on the Mountain View side of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Average is not good for us....we always want to be the BEST - and sometimes we fall short on our goals of delivering that experience we strive to provide. Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.....I will be reviewing this with our staff to ensure we pay attention to the details. I hope you come back and stay with us again....we must of had an "off" day and would love to have you experience the wonderful service and accomodations that I know creates lasting memories for our guests.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I really don't post many reviews but I had to write about my stay at the Hyatt! I was on business and had such a wonderful week. Service was awesome. Pool was great. If I needed my car they had it out before I came down the elevator! German especially was terrific. The room was well decorated and very comfortable. I slept soundly in a hyper-allergenic room. I was working split shift
Then on my last night when I was coming in from work I stopped to have a nightcap at the hotel bar. I have to say Michael had me laughing for hours!!!! He's a regular stand up comedian! Really made my stay! I will be back in a few months and looking forward to staying at the Hyatt!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Yeah! I truly enjoyed reading your review. We have some great employees here who always go above and beyond and I'm glad you got out of your hotel room and enjoyed the staff and amenities that we have to offer! Palm Springs is such a great place to visit and it is our goal to put a smile on every face . Thanks for making my day and I can't wait to have you back. I'll be sure to share this with all employees and give special recognition to German and Michael for a job well done.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

We visited during Spring Break and initially selected the Embassy Suites Palm Desert. When we arrived we didn’t have a good feeling. We asked to see the rooms and as we were walking to the room we got a peek at the pool and knew instantly that we would not be staying..regardless of how the rooms looked. The room was decent and clean but it just was not what we were looking for. I work really hard and I had a vision for this getaway that entailed my sitting by a BEAUTIFUL pool, listening to music on my headphones, flipping through magazines while my children and their 2 friends enjoyed a day of swimming. It also entailed me later relaxing in a BEAUTIFUL room in a BEAUTIFUL hotel. And I must be honest. I did not feel that my vision could be played out like I had envisioned at this particular Embassy Suites Hotel. So we immediately began searching for an alternative everything we checked was totally booked yet we were lucky to score a double suite at the Hyatt! We were very reluctant but thought it had to be better than the Embassy Suites. Well as soon as we walked into the lobby we knew we had made the right decision. We laughed at ourselves thinking that maybe we had just gotten a little too big for our britches. But shrugged that idea off and instead blamed it on the fact that we just wanted more than what the ESuites had to offer…remember….I had a vision and I wanted that vision darnit ;-)! I feel that the Hyatt exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed the elegant yet contemporary chic feel and ambiance of the entire place. There were no elaborate grounds and shrubbery to enjoy but that wasn’t part of my vision so I was o.k. without that. But there was a beautiful fireplace to sit by and enjoy an evening cocktail and we ate in the dining room every morning. The food was rather expensive but it surely was good. It did not disappoint. I would only suggest you not order the Corned Beef Hash. It surely was from a can – YUK!!! And the crab stack with the spinach and hollandaise sauce was not the quality I expected either. But everything else we ordered was really good. I think we tried most of the menu items. My daughter and her friend really enjoyed the smoked salmon plate. The free evening snacks were just o.k. The meatballs were the only ones we tried.

There were 4 children (1) 8 yr old and (3) 10 yr olds and 2 adults in our party and the suite had more than enough room. My friend and I took the beds and the girls made the living room area their “Girls Rule Suite”. We walked in and 2 of the girls made sleeping areas out of the chair and the table and another on the chaise and the other 2 slept on the pull out couch. They loved having their own space and large screen television and the balcony to enjoy!

And I guess you’re wondering if I was able to realize my “vision” at the pool…well I did!!! Indeed! It too exceeded my expectations. We went to breakfast in our swimwear every morning and would head straight for the pool afterwards for a really good spot with an umbrella and the pretty vibrant orange towels. I did not see the need for one of the cabanas while we were there but if it were really crowded then the cabana would have been an awesome escape. We ordered buffalo wings as a rather tasty snack later that afternoon.

Now there was only 1 downside to the entire experience - the maid service was extremely poor. It was obvious that she only made the beds. And it was obvious that she did not vacuum or clean the toilets. Ga-ross (yes I made gross 2 syllables)!!! I brought my Soft scrub just in case I encountered a problem like this to make sure the toilet and tub were at least clean. Maybe I should have brought my vacuum cleaner also...LOL!

But when it was time to leave – we were not ready and was anxious for one or two more days. I’m already planning our return visit when the girls are out on Summer vacation. This Hyatt hotel is our new fave. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. This is the 1st time we have ever stayed in Palm Springs as we usually stay in Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, or Palm Desert but now we are hooked on this hotel. I might try Zoso the next time but the Hyatt is my new fave for Palm Springs and I think you’ll enjoy it too..unless maybe you too have gotten too big for your britches! ;-) Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: We got a room facing the street! Worked for us. I saw rooms facing the mountains and the pool but I...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
This review was fun to read! I smiled all the way through it as it reminded me of times when I've taken my family to weekend get-aways and selecting the right hotel to create those lasting memories with my kids. Your story is mine...and I'm so glad we were able to exceed your expectations. It's so important to get away from it all and just relax and laying out a the pool with the beautiful mountain range in our backyard is the perfect scene. Thanks for staying with us - we can't wait to have you back! Cheers.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt very much. Check in staff were friendly and helpful.I particularly liked being so central. The hotel has a very urban feel.

My room was a good size and not noisy. Breakfast was good value but could have used some fresh grapefruit! Wifi worked well, loved the pool area but could do with a few more umbrellas. Gym was small but never crowded.

I’ve already booked another stay in 2 weeks’ time.

San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in a hypo-allergenic king suite with a mountain view. Our initial reservation was for a regular king suite with a mountain view, but becaue our room wasn't ready at the time, and we requested non-feather pillows because of our allergies, we were upgraded to a hypo-allergenic room. These are rooms that are given extra special cleaning, an air filter, and "pure" pillows that are not suppose to be feather.

When we arrived in the room, my eyes immediately started to water. We checked the pillows, and alarmingly, each one was down (feather). When we called down, they at first didn't believe us (I said I opened one and features came spilling out). They sent housekeeping who was extremely apologetic and said that all the non-down pillows were being cleaned and some of the staff must not have known to put non-down pillows into these rooms. They rounded up the appropriate pillows for us and cleaned up the features that spilled out.

The room itself was very nice, with lots of room for our family (2 adults, and 2 kids). The bed was very comfortable and bathroom nicely appointed and clean. The pull out sofa was small (a full size?) but had a separate "chaise" part where our younger child could sleep, giving our teen a little more room in the pull out mattress.

The bell and valet staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Our car was always brought up quickly with a smile.

One evening we returned to our room around 5 to get ready for dinner, and one of the housekeeping staff was in our room cleaning. Since we had dinner reservations at 6:30 and needed to use the bathrooms to shower, we asked her to return later. Though when we returned in the evening, it didn't appear that our room was serviced. Since it was late and we were going to check out the next day, we didn't bother to call anybody. We did get a call from the front desk that evening -- I thought they were calling to apologize for skipping our room housekeeping, but they said that somebody called to complain about noise in our room and if we could please turn down our music or tv. Since the kids were in bed and we didn't have anything on, we told them it must not be our room (they did apologize for the mistake) . Interestingly, early the next morning as we were packing up, somebody from housekeeping did come to our room to clean (we said we were checking out in a little while).

Thursday evenings the street in front of the hotel is blocked off for a street fair with food, music, & arts/crafts. It's a very fun, and family-oriented fair.

Except for the few blips in housekeeping service, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Good, but overpriced breakfast. Nice pool. Friendly service. Need to update elevators.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Hyatt Palm Springs? Share your experiences!