“We Love, Love, Love This Place !!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Sun Resort

You added Desert Sun Resort to your Saves list
Desert Sun Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1533 Chaparral Road, Palm Springs, CA 92262 (Formerly Desert Shadows Resort)   |
Ranked #19 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Burbank, California
“We Love, Love, Love This Place !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My wife and I have been enjoying this Resort for over ten years now. It keeps getting better and better. The staff makes us feel like their part of our extended family. They go out of there way to make us feel welcome. The Resort itself is great. With three different pools and two jacuzzi's you can really relax. We can hang out with other people or just relax by ourselves, the Resort is that large. The Resort has everything you need, its all inclusive. Even though Palm Springs has so much to offer,we stay at the Resort. My wife and I love the place so much that we don't get dressed to go out, we stay naked at the Resort entire time! We have traveled to many beautiful places and Desert Sun Resort is one of the best. We love, love, love this place.,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We were at Desert Sun over Memorial Day weekend. We were upgrade to a villa which was lovely, on the quiet pool side. I did see any male gawkers, about which some others complained. The resort is beautiful and beautifully maintained. The pools and jacuzzis were sparkling clean. The free continental breakfast in the hotel lobby is meager - it would be better if they had a full breakfast in the dining room. The resort is in walking distance to the restaurants of downtown and within easy drives of great hiking - Indian Canyon and Joshua Tree National Park. We hiked half days in the cool morning and relaxed by the pool in the hot afternoon.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We've been to Desert Sun over a dozen times in the last 5 years. As always, through several owners, the grounds and staff were impecable. The last few trips, we've stayed in the Condos, and although pricey, they definitely offer a level of comfort and more options for fun and relaxation. The Chapparal rooms are a bit tired, cramped, (and if next to the service rooms), noisy. Food was good, and definitely worth the convenience of not putting on clothes to just eat. A new, nice touch, were the complimentary shooters at poolside late in the afternoon for the ladies. Best of all, seems that the "beauty of the clients" has improved! We're not Ken and Barbie, but we do appreciate couples who are H/W proportional, open-minded, with great attitudes. We found 3 couples about our age that were all of that and "more". We will certainly hope for similar company on our next visit!

Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

If there is a Gold Medal for customer service Desert Sun Resort deserves it. My husband and I have been Two Bunch Palms resort advocates for decades. But Desert Sun out did 2-Bunch in every way making our weekend not only memorable but one we can't wait to repeat. We were 1st-timers here and 1st timer's at being nude -- yikes! Honestly, we were scared to death not knowing what to expect but upon arrival our worries melted away.

The resort is beautiful, clean and comfortable. Our 2-story condo was fantastic- much more than we expected. We were welcomed with open arms by Michael the general Manager and Teresa at the front desk. Then Michael walked us around the property and within seconds we were uncomfortable -- only because we were fully clothed.

Jim the bartender quickly put drinks in our hands and our minds at ease. We couldn't wait to shed our gear and get our bare buns to the pool and dive into the fun. We joined a Tequila tasting at the pool followed by a delicious Cino De Mayo buffet. Every meal we had at the restaurant was delicious. On Sunday I had a luxurious massage from Giselle at the spa.

This was a completely new and charming adventure for us and we recommend it to anyone, naturists or not. Thanks to the owners, and Michael, Teresa, Jim, Yoly, her kitchen staff, Stacey, Giselle, and Paul at the front desk our weekend was an absolute slice of heaven.

General Manager, Michael was genuine and attentive to everyone's happiness which was so refreshing and appreciated by all. I say, "Get your bare buns to Desert Sun Resort ASAP." I promise you won't regret it.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I spent the weekend at Desert Sun Resort two weeks ago with my girlfriend and it's as lovely as ever. The front desk personnel (Theresa and Paul) and very welcoming and polite and remember so much about me after we talked during my last visit. I saw Michael Williams, the General Manager, a few hours later and he is keeping that resort solid and makes everybody feel so welcome. He makes rounds every 30 min - 1 hour to make sure everything is going well around the resort. He takes this resort from a 7 to a 10.

The lounge chairs are new and clean, the fire-pit is so relaxing, the three pools provide what each person my desire. We chose the relaxing pool (I think that's what it's called - by the jacuzzi) with a drink in one hand and a magazine in the other. We then went inside the pool and I took the best nap of my life on one of the pool floats.

We had breakfast at the cafe which was just awesome. I had eggs benedict and she had some type of mexican omlette - both were A+. They have a full bar to get drinks at with a plasma TV in case there is a sports game on. All this can be enjoyed au natural.

In response to some of the other posts: are there single guys? Yes. Do they bother you? Not in my experience. There are so many places to settle down at in the resort which give you the opportunity to be in the crowd, or somewhere relatively private. I am personally very happy that they allow single males because I often go to the resort without my girlfriend to just get away and relax and I can't imagine not being able to go somewhere that I go to with her (I'd probably not go here at all if that were the case).

As for swingers, I didn't see any sexual behavior anywhere on the grounds and I appreciated that. There are couples, us included, who may hug in the pool or rub oil on eachother's back and this was acceptable as it would be in any resort pool (nudist or not). I asked Michael about some of these reviews from possible swingers and he said "I am more concerned about what may make my other guests feel “uncomfortable”. I love that people consider this a Romantic atmosphere, because it is. Yet, there is a fine line to avoid crossing here when it comes to PDA’s. When in doubt, I’d say please take it behind closed doors. I am proud that we welcome everyone to visit Desert Sun Resort.”

This resort is owned by a family and I've seen families there - why in the world would open sexual activity be allowed here? I don't know why some people were surprised at this but nudity is not necessarily sexual. All in all, this resort is top notch and I will be returning soon.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

First off, this is a nudist resort. If that's not for you, there is no point reading on. However, if you enjoy nudism or have even thought about it, this place is a must.

The people are friendly, attentive, and skilled. The food in the restaurant was good enough that you want to have all of your meals there. Why have to put clothes on and go elsewhere? The guests are friendly. The pools are wonderful, as are the spas. You can find a quiet place (such as by the salt water pool) or an active water volleyball game by one of the freshwater pools.

And after a day in the sun, you can grab a drink at relax by the fire pit. We had good conversation lasting well past midnight.

Oh, one more thing ... pack light.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

My wife and I were looking for some sun and relaxation. We found that and much more at the Desert Sun Resort. First timers to a naturalist resort of any kind, we were surprised to find the resort located so close to downtown Palm Springs. We toured all the different size rooms available for the week. All were well maintained and sparkling clean. We chose a one bedroom suite, complete with all the amenities one expects from a first class resort. The entire staff was attentive, positive. The grounds are a tropical paradise. There are three pools to choose from. We chose the quiet pool and the pool at the condos to spend our time at. The guests that we met were friendly and respectful of everyones private space. At no time did we feel uncomfortable, threatened, or weirded out. Quite the opposite. Their business card says it all..."retreat, relax, and refresh" That is exactly what we found. Can't wait to go back.
Michael & Marie

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Desert Sun Resort? Share your experiences!