“False advertising” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Sun Resort

You added Desert Sun Resort to your Saves list
Desert Sun Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1533 Chaparral Road, Palm Springs, CA 92262 (Formerly Desert Shadows Resort)   |
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
murrieta
“False advertising”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We booked on expedia on march 2013. Expedia at the time said it had an adult pool. Five minutes later my girlfriend told expedia to cancel it they refused because the had a contract with the hotel. I thought it wasn't a big deal but upon check in I saw a naked lady outside of the lobby and new oh [--]. The lady at the counter was very nice but said we cant go near the pool if we had clothes on!

We just wanted a relaxing trip instead the rooms were filthy, the nudists were in your face standing in front of the lobby door exit to tell you they had a club called the bare bunz that we must go to as he was standing in all his unglory poor fella. Expedia failed to help us with there adult only pool spot , but I think we are responsible for them saying its a nudist colony Hello! We just left the second night my girl couldn't take it anymore and we had a much more pleasant time at the comfort inns pool where you could have your clothes on and the rooms were just as crappy but for 70 dollars instead of 140.

Beware!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We found this resort to be almost perfect. We stayed 3 nights, Sun. -Tues. so resort was fairly slow at the time. Rooms seem to be a little out dated, but were adequate. We both had a massage and loved it. Best massage we've had anywhere! Only 2 gripes was there was one lady who seemed like a regular who would sit in her chair and talk on her cell phone. She was on the phone for at least 45 minutes before the staff reminded her of the rules. This is a rule that I would not change. The second gripe is the fact of total nudity required at/in the pool.There are times when the bits down there get a little too much sun and it would be nice to be able to wear a minimal thong/g string when you want/need. We didn't push the issue as rules are rules, but wish that would change.
We will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

When I read "clothing free resort" or "clothing optional" - I thought they talk about topless.
I was "a bit" surprised when I entered the resort and all around me every body was totally naked! I would say - Not "clothing optional" but "no clothing option"...
I met very nice people there, all couples, open minded and very relax about their uncommon lifestyle.
My advise is give it a try, go for it, it is embracing at the first two hours, and then you'll feel how naturally it is!

• Stayed August 2013
connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a GREAT NUDE RESORT. We have been here a few times now, and it NEVER DISAPPOINTS !!!!!...... The grounds are beautifully kept and clean, the Staff is friendly and helpful. And the " nude" thing ?...... After a few minutes, even first timers are comfortable. This could NOT be a more friendly and relaxed place. And It's right down the street from downtown Palm Springs, and a very short drive to Palm Desert.
I highly recommend Desert Sun Resort !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to take our first trip to a nudist resort and chose the DSR. That was the best decision we have made in a long time! The resort staff was so friendly and welcoming. They made us feel welcome right from the start. The owners of the hotel, John and Elizabeth personally greeted us and spent time talking to us. They're kindness was sincere and genuine. We ended up staying during "customer appreciation weekend" and there were lots of fun activities and games to attend, including: volleyball, bingo, kareoke, the nudelywed game, naked yoga and water aerobics. It was a blast. There was something for everyone...if you wanted to play movie trivia, you could or if you wanted to sit in the quiet pool and just relax, you could. The food at the restaurant was very good. I had researched other things to do in and around Palm Springs while on vacation but we ended up staying at the resort the entire time and didn't want to leave! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was our second time at DSR. If you have never been you must try it. The staff and people here are so nice. It is so relaxing and the grounds are beautiful. We got a courtyard room close to the quiet pool this time and we really enjoyed it. The bathroom was a little on the small side but the room was nice and comfortable. In fact, I sleep so well here. Not sure if it is because I am so relaxed or what but anyway... . We spent time by the pool during the day and at night we went to a few of the local restaurants and had dinner. We did try the restaurant for lunch this year and we found it to be very good. The price wasn't too bad either. Can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is my second time that I have visited, kind of short notice, so I had to go by myself this time, but the experience was great. Everybody is so friendly, The staff welcomed me back , and you can't say enough about Michael, Maria, Allie, Theresa, and the rest with the service they provide. Some people from my first trip were there , but I met several new friends, and we had a blast at the pool. Of course Chuck was lead volleyball player, Karaoke was on Saturday night, my first experience, with Chuck leading that. Can't say enough about the fun we had, and some people really had good voices, and some of us didn't, It really didn't matter. Had a massage at the spa that was very good with Renska. If you have never done this type of vacation, try it. Its a lot of fun, Nobody really cares what you look like, and you will have a great time. Ps to Michael, Lets get a Shuffleboard Court set up!!!

Room Tip: I like the Chapparal Hotel , since its near the activity pool, But the Courtyard is kinda secluded...