“Beautiful Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Sun Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Desert Sun Resort to your Saves list
Desert Sun Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1533 Chaparral Road, Palm Springs, CA 92262 (Formerly Desert Shadows Resort)   |
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

Just returned from the Desert Sun Resort. As the other reviewers point out, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I had beautiful weather and the resort offered a tennis clinic. Natasha was wonderfully helpful, even to this guest who never held a tennis racket before. The wine tasting was informative, I learned quite a bit about the history of wines. The only issues I had was the Chapparel Hotel is advertised as having a small fridge in the room. It doesn't, it has an "ice box" meaning you have to place ice into the container to keep your items cold. Kind of like the ice boxes you carry when you camp. I was also taken aback by the $20.00 spaghetti and $3.00 ice cream bar (I was originally informed it was $2.00). Small niggly things, but it did affect my enjoyment at the resort. I guess the other downside, and I guess for males travelling solo, is that you are treated by the rest of the guests as a "third wheel." Conversation was next to impossible to start and some of the female guest regarded my visit with suspicion. There was one older couple who welcomed me into conversation, and it became the highlight of my weekend.

So to recap: Resort is absolutely gorgeous, the anemities are expensive and sparse. Not the recommended trip for a solo male. This is my second visit and the third wheel applies to both visits.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
desertsunps, Owner at Desert Sun Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thanks for the great review. I am so glad you enjoyed the tennis clinic and the wine tasting. The hotel rooms do have a little refrigerator for convenience. If you ever experience a problem with it in the future, the front desk will be glad to help. I checked on the price of your ice cream and we paid about $2 for it wholesale so I am sorry that you felt you were taken advantage of. As the only naturist resort in Palm Springs that allows single men, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

The grounds are beautiful and immaculately tended, the three pools clean and at perfect temperature (same for the jacuzzis), the staff is helpful and absolutely devoid of "attitude," especially the friendly, informative General Manager, Michael, who showed us a couple of the few available condos, being very forthright about the plusses and minuses of each (the plusses far outweighed the latter). This is a place I could easily imagine living at full-time. I have no negative response to Desert Sun at all - there are several choices of room size and location, and even some of the fully-equiped condos are available to guests. This is A+ all the way. We'll definitely be going back to bask naked in the sun with the friendly crowd at Desert Sun!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

For many years we were looking for a classy nudist resort in southern California, a place where we could spend an extended weekend without necessity to travel to Jamaica or Mayan Riviera. We fould it in Desert Sun, Palm Springs. We have been coming back ever since, every few months, to escape the Los Angeles madness.
We have seen several remodelings of the property and amenities, the ownership changes over time, even the name change. But what stays unchanged (other than the brilliant general manager, Michael, who gives the place his whole heart), is, an excellent resort, nice, quiet, respectful hideawa,y where you can shed all your clothes, including your business persona and be free for a while.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Williamsville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

This was our first time to Desert Sun. My husband suggested we give it a try and I will admit, I was a little hesitant at first. However, even before arriving, the staff was so helpful communicating via email with me about the type of accommodations available. We went with a suggestion of staff and booked a preferred condo and we were not disappointed! It was very clean, spacious and we loved having the up/down stairs with private terrace/patio. We used the fully equipped kitchen each day as well. Upon checking in, we were told that the "quiet pool and spa" were closed due to renovations but this was not a problem since there are 2 other pools and a hot tub on property. We ordered room service one night (fish & chips and spaghetti) with a bottle of wine and were not disappointed. The service was wonderful and both staff and other guests were friendly and low-key. We were probably one of the "younger" guests here during the week (both in our early 40s) but it was perfect as we were not looking for a "party" atmosphere. The only negative was checking out and knowing we had to return to the snow and cold at home! We will definitely be repeat customers!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Saginaw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We just got back to "Snowmageddon" in the midwest and we miss Desert Sun already. It was our first time to a nudist resort (we are a younger couple) and we were immediately welcomed by the staff, residents and guests (most of them were regulars).

First off, the grounds are BEAUTIFUL. During the day, there are nice soft grassy areas with tons of flowers and plants and at night the lighting on property makes it really beautiful to walk around (even though it was chilly in the mornings and evenings).

The Spa/Quiet Pool and Hottub were closed because they are doing construction on that area to make another seating/conversation area I believe. The main pool was very nice and the Villa hottub and pool were really nice as well. Even thought it's not a huge resort, it's laid out so to get to the pools, you have to wind around on sidewalks so you feel like the resort is quite large...nice feature.

We stayed in the main hotel part (Chaparal Rooms) and they were nice...nothing fancy. Bed was comfy, bathroom was fine. If you're looking for a modern or updated room, this isn't it but who is going here for the rooms anyway? We peeked in some of the condos for sale/rent and they looked very nice so if you're looking for an upgrade or a longer-term stay, that's probably the way to go. We would do the hotelish room again.

We did lunch twice at the Cafe and it was really good (big portions). It is a bit pricey but that's what you get for the convenience of eating in the nude?!?! Yes, we were a bit apprehensive about that but everyone else was, so...when in Rome.

We went out for breakfast twice...Cheeky's is the hotspot in Palm Springs right now and it was excellent and we also had a great Mediterranean breakfast at Vini (next to Peabody's which we heard was good too). Bill's Pizza is a great spot for lunch/dinner too.

The entire staff (they are clothed FYI) made us feel really comfortable and Michael, Teresa and Robin do a great job. Palm Springs is a hike for us but we will DEFINITELY be back to the Desert Sun Resort!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
desertsunps, Owner at Desert Sun Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. The new conversation area will be finished by next week, Feb.10. Hope you can make it back soon to check it out. Thanks for the review.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

As I'm a naturalist, this is the perfect place for me to be comfortable. Last year, my stay was very pleasant and this year it was much better. The staff especially have been sensitive and helpful. This is the place for social nudists. If you are looking for something sexual, it is not for you.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for being a repeat guest. We have many guests that travel from Canada and are glad that you found us.
Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

My wife and I took advantage of MLK weekend in mid-January to get away from the North Texas winter and enjoy a "nakation." We have been to several nudist resorts in our area, but this was the first time we had ever travelled for the express purpose of enjoying a little nude recreation. Desert Sun Resort was fantastic, and the January Palm Springs weather was even better. We enjoyed everything about the pool areas, from laying out on the lawn chairs to floating on a raft. The two hot tubs and the fire pit were nice places for conversation with our fellow guests. The restaurant was nice, and Robin made us some fantastic Long Island Iced Teas. Michael, the resort's general manager, took an interest in each and every guest. My wife and I could see ourselves living at the resort one of these days (they have condos for sale!). The only bad part of the experience was having to put clothes on and leave.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Desert Sun Resort? Share your experiences!