“FAIL FOR SAFETY” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Chino Hills
“FAIL FOR SAFETY”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel is an older Spanish style architecture and not with updated room amenities. I noticed one wing of the hotel is currently being renovated. The hotel is surrounded by a deteriorated parking lot running the perimeter of the building, no pot holes but severely cracked. The room doors open onto an open central area, my front door opened to the pool.
It looked like all of the exit gates to the parking lots required key cards. The gate nearest my room did not lock and remained unsecured the entire time I was staying here. The key card reader was broken. Anyone could enter the guest area via this gate without a key card.
My room door was a typical steel door with a dead bolt and a flap lock. 6” from the door, on the locks side, was a window. Breaching the window and reaching in could easily unlock both locks. Value of a room is worthless if I have to not-sleep worrying about security. I could see day light at the top and bottom of the door.
Parking is free. Breakfast is free. Wi-fi is not free.
The bedroom of the two room suite was very clean and comfortable. Newer bedding, matching décor. But the other room was a hodgepodge of décor, miss matched furniture from several styles. Both rooms were spacious. The theme was orangish tones.
I stayed during a 3 day weekend and the walkway outside by 3rd floor room was busy late into the night.
I would not stay here again. The hotel missed badly on my perception of safety.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I enjoy staying at Embassy Suites all over the country. I travel a lot sometimes with or without the family. I like the atmosphere, the accommodation and the breakfast. The staff is pleasant and service is good. It is good value for the buck.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We expected a little more from the Hilton Hotel. We were surprised...We only stayed at Hilton to use our Hilton reward point. This hotel was very old, the room was dark with outdated furniture. The AC was not working at first...

Palm Desert, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The AC went out and the staff did not make a good enough effort to make sure of the comfort of the residents. Because there was no air conditioning, there was mass exodus from this hotel to the competitor across the street. Check to make sure the room AC works before booking here.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Susan A, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the malfunctioning A/C and we reported your concerns to our maintenance team in order to make it right. We were able to complete the repair to the A/C equipment however, it took a little longer than anticipated for the system to catch up with the demand. If you should have the chance if you return to our area in the future I hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations. I thank you for your time and hope you have a great day.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel should be sold off to a low budget group. Dirty! Nasty elevator floors, even the entry to the lobby needed to be power washed from goo stuck to the concrete and this is off season when the workers should have plenty of time to scrub down these areas.
Checked in to zero air conditioning; we're in the middle of the desert for geez sake at 100 degrees! We were told it would be 20 minutes and now 2 1/2 hours later still no A/C but promises, promises! We will be checking out within the hour if we don't get the straight story.
Don't waste your time or money on this place unless you just want a place for the kids to swim and a free meal in the morning. I have Never have seen an Embassy Suites this run down or dirty. Just a few miles away you can stay at the La Quinta ES, which is newer, cleaner, and so beautiful I wanted to move in to stay. Avoid!!

Room Tip: No room is a good room without air conditioning in the desert.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your recent stay with us and that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. Our A/C equipment had a belt break and we were able to fix it right away however, it took longer than anticipated for the system to catch up with the demand due to the high temperature and humidity. If you should return to the area I hope you will give us another chance to not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel has two major draws for us - the pool and the managers reception.

The pool area is in the center of the buildings, providing shade from the sun earlier than many. I like to swim without getting burnt. This pool area fits the bill nicely.

The managers reception is a fun feature that gives me an incentive to go with the Embassy Suites brand. Its social, you get to talk to the staff and hear the local places to visit, and who doesn't like free drinks?

The bed was clean and I slept just fine. The amenities were adequate. There is a coffee maker, microwave, a small bar fridge, two flat screen tv's, but no safe.

The front room and the bedroom both had plenty of space. Where this hotel really shows its age is with the bathroom. Its tiny. You need to stand to the side of the toilet to shut the door. You can easily touch the sink and the tub at the same time. This would not be acceptable for a new hotel and so dates this one significantly.

The other annoyance with this trip was the hot tub. The pool area was the main draw for us, and the hot tub was not hot. After climbing in and looking around for a timer switch or something we may have missed, I found a piece of paper with a notice that the heater is broken, floating on the bottom. We were never told this. The whole impression was that they did not consider it a big deal. It was a big deal for me, and after at least three stays I think Ill try somewhere else next time. Its not that this hotel was bad, but with all the competition around they might have tried a little harder to keep my business.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here on Labor Day weekend, 2014. Over all, I would say that this Embassy Suites is just "okay".

The 2-room suite was spacious and clean, but they need to update their sofa beds. Sofa beds are not the most ideal kind of bed in general, but the ones here were in pretty bad shape. The springs felt like they were about to pop through the top mattress layer, which was only covered with a single sheet. There was an additional folded sheet provided, but that was it. (Our family had a total of 4 rooms booked and they were all the same.) Housekeeping brought blankets & pillows after about 1 ½ hours. I had gone directly to the front desk (twice) for the request, and called once. The front desk, and the lady who brought the stuff were both very nice and apologized for the long wait. I think they were just understaffed last weekend.

Their cooked-to-order breakfast food was okay, but the service and set-up sucked. They have you wait in a very long line to get to a tiny food counter. The line snaked out the entry/exit door. The worst part was the head cook (at least I think he’s the head cook). He yelled at everyone and balked out the orders to the other cook behind him. Even that was understandable…a lot of people in line…keep the orders flowing, etc. What was uncalled for were comments he made. Because the line was so long and the room so small, my husband waited outside while my grandson and I got our food. I ordered eggs for my grandson, then ordered 2 additional orders of eggs, with 4 bacon pieces and 4 sausages. He said, “FOUR PIECES?!” I replied that yes, it was for 2 people (actually for all 3 of us, since my grandson doesn’t like his food “touching” each other). He then held up 3 fingers and said, “THAT’S FOR 3 PEOPLE!”, and promptly took the next person’s order. What the….?!!!! My grandson asked me why the man was so rude. I explained that some people are not meant for certain jobs. We went back for breakfast the next morning and I was prepared for him to make a rude comment, as I was ready with a few comebacks, but he didn’t. (Shucks!) He just balked out the orders.

I would maybe stay there again. (If it was last-minute and nothing else was available.) The location is great, rooms are nice, clean, and MOST of the staff is friendly. Pool area is regular. It looks like they are refurbishing the entire hotel little by little, as we saw a whole section closed off. I would avoid having to use the sofa bed, and would definitely be on guard for the pseudo-chef and his rude remarks.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Palm Desert Resort? Share your experiences!