“Nice resort but not what we're use to.........” 4 of 5 stars

Desert Breezes Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   77-955 Calle Las Brisas South, Palm Desert, CA 92211   |
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Caliente, CA
“Nice resort but not what we're use to.........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Desert Breezes for a week. We booked the week through RCI as a timeshare trade. Desert Breezes is a very nice resort, staff very helpful and pleasant to deal with. The room (one bedroom, 2 bath) was more than adaquate. Now I'm afraid that I can't rave about Desert Breezes simply because we are use to more services at a resort. We usually visit our home resort in Cabo San Lucas and the level of service at the resort and around the pool is exceptional. Call us spoiled but what the heck, if you're going to a resort then you should be treated like a king. And I exect a restaurant on sight but there isn't. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I would go back to Desert Breezes so I don't want anyone to think it's not worth staying at. We're just spoiled. And even thought the entire staff was wonderful I just have to say that Jennifer (desk) was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Granite Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised when we checked in to this resort. Much nicer than in the pictures. Pools were not crowded and they keep the water temperature just right. Only complaint, and I understand it is a common one, is the noise level of the people walking around upstairs. The footsteps seemed to be amplified. Most of the staff were exceptional, one had a little bit of an attitude, but nothing to complain about. We found so much to do in the area. Used to think this area was just for lying by the pool and golfing, but we ran out of time before we were able to do half of the things that sounded like fun. We have already made reservations for next year. Read other reports of problems with the gate. We did not experience any problems with the gate or anything else.

Room Tip: Would take 2nd story room if available.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

Service was impressively bad. Rooms were cramped. Most staff spoke no English at all. Front desk frequently did not pick up the phone. It became a joke to see how long it would take them to bring something we needed. The sheets took three hours, the sugar never even came ( even after two phone calls)!

• Stayed April 2012
Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time on the property. The grounds, onsite gym and the rooms were nice, it's not a new property. I had a studio apartment, which was good sized for two. Front desk service was just mediocre. They don't communicate on important things like promptly gates being closed after certain hour, wifi instructions, etc. Overall, just an average experience.

• Stayed February 2012
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Resort
My wife and I spent 2 weeks at Desert Breezes in August. The resort is located within a gated community; the timeshare units are just a small part of this community. To enter, there are two entrances, and a gate card is required. When checking in, we had to call the front desk from the gate phone and give them our names, they then opened the gate remotely and we could then drive to the front desk. The timeshare units form an oval shape, with a pool and lagoon in the middle. We enjoyed a nice view of the lagoon, with the main pool in the distance. The resort is made up of several 4-plexes and some larger units, so this isn’t just a large condo building. Most buildings have their own hot tub, which is very convenient.

Desert Breezes guests are permitted to use three of the pools on the property. The main pool is in the middle of the timeshare units, there’s a smaller adults-only pool beside the reception building, and another pool at the clubhouse. The clubhouse is a short walk from the Desert Breezes units and has a fitness room and tennis courts. The nice feature about using this pool is that there are restrooms at the pool.

Rooms
We stayed in a two bedroom unit on the second floor. We had a nice sized balcony where we ate most of our meals. The units themselves are actually very very large. We own several other timeshares, and these are the largest two bedroom units that we’ve ever stayed in. I should also mention that the units have recently been renovated, and are now quite impressive. We were especially impressed with the beds and the cotton duvets and fancier linens (much nicer than most other middle-class timeshares).

We had excellent service from the front desk personnel; they were helpful and check-in was a “breeze”. The cleaning personnel were very kind, but didn’t speak much English – this gave us a good opportunity to practice our broken Spanish! Being from Canada, (we don’t speak much Spanish up here) it was probably a bit more of a challenge than it may have been for a Californian, but we managed… It’s amazing how similar Spanish is to French… It made for a few good laughs with our kind cleaning lady!

Location
Desert Breezes is quite central in Palm Desert. There are many restaurants and grocery stores nearby. There’s also a bus that goes by the resort and heads south to La Quinta. The bus is cheap and we enjoyed La Quinta – it’s a very quaint little town with some good restaurants. There is a Costco and Walmart a few minutes drive from the resort, and a Vons even closer. We enjoyed eating at “The River” in Ranco Mirage (10 minute drive), walking along “El Paseo” (10 minute drive). Once per week we went to downtown Palm Springs where they have a street fair every Thursday evening – they completely shut down about 8 blocks downtown and have live music, good food and lots of shopping.

Cons
Our only negative experience was the internet. There is free wifi, but it’s really slow and the signal that we had was weak. The week that we were there, they had blocked Facebook and You Tube and some other major sites, this was very inconvenient. I’d rather pay a small fee per week and have faster internet access without blocked sites! We ended up bringing our laptop with us when we’d go out and we’d update our Facebook at Starbucks.

Recommendation
I’d definitely recommend Desert Breezes resort. The resort is nice and well maintained, the location is good and we were happy with the service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Just returned from 15 glorious days in the Palm Desert/Palm Springs area this February 2012. We stayed at the Desert Breezes Resort due to the fact I bought into this timeshare scheme for a measly $13.04, with the previous owner paying for a year's use up front for me. So I have to preface this review with the excitement of getting something for nothing, balanced against some nervous caution of staying at this location for the first time. I stayed in a one bedroom (2nd floor) facing the pool (unit 164).

There are lots of PROS to this property, with few CONS. I will list and explain each. First of all, this is a VERY QUIET residential and timeshare property. The average person staying here is of retirement age. Don't expect singles action, wild pool parties, etc.

PROS:

-Gated community with a mix of timeshares and residential properties. If you go to one of the pools at 7 p.m., it's like everyone was beamed up to Planet Snoozeville. The older folks go to bed early, but that works for me!

-All appliances and cookware are included in your suite. There is a refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, toaster, blender, coffeemaker and an ice maker in the freezer part of your fridge.

-Incidental items are included in your condo such as: dishwasher crystals, dish soap, insect spray, paper towels. This saves you a few dollars on a long stay, as you will not need to purchase them.

-2 pool robes are included in each unit.

-There are many gas BBQ grills scattered all over the property and pool areas. They are magically cleaned to perfection each and every day by a nice Mexican man named, "Presto Cleano Pedro" (joking, but they are kept super, SUPER clean!). There are also BBQ implements found in your condo, for you to cook with.

-There are 3 pools, with an adult only pool near the lobby reception building.

-Use of the Club House with fitness room and 5 tennis courts (3 are lit at night). You can even sign out FREE racquets, and balls!

-Units have a free safe, but they don't look too sturdy.

-10 hot tubs scattered about the property.

-Grounds are kept EXTREMELY neat and beautiful!

-1 block walk to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, if you like tennis.

-free WiFi (but see CONS section on this one!)

CONS:

-No on site or nearby services within walking distance. There is a vending machine on site.

-Buildings are mid-80's. Some areas of the buildings are showing some wear. They have renovated many of the units and even installed flat screen T.V's in most. Don't expect flawless luxury, but they are clean, tidy and reasonable (See my pics!).

-Club House closes at 4 p.m. Some people like to work out in the evening!

-WiFi is VERY VERY SLOW! At times, lighting the furniture on fire and sending smoke signals to Canada instead of emails, would have been a faster alternative. A TIP: there is greater bandwidth at night when the older folks are finished emailing their grand kids!

MANY WEB SITES ARE BLOCKED!! YouTube and Facebook are blocked on this network, which was frustrating. Hotmail at least works, thankfully.

All in all, a great stay. If they WiFi was better and a few touch ups made, I would give them 5 stars. I have stayed at many of the higher end places in the area such as Hyatt Grand Champion, La Quinta Resort and Spa, etc., (read these reviews by me if you wish a comparison). I would rate Desert Breezes as very family orientated. Great for a golf and tennis holiday and/or nice relaxed getaway in the desert. It's homey and it felt like home when I was there. It doesn't have the plastic and corporate feel, which is nice. And it was quiet. I could actually hear myself think for a change...lol.

4 out of 5 stars and I will see you by the pool next March! I'll be the drunk young whipper snapper at the age of 46 near the pool...

Cheers.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms have vaulted ceilings and have a "bigger" feel to them. Get a 1 bedroo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Mercer Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This property was comfortable, clean and well located. We had a two bedroom, two bath second floor unit. It was overlooking the beautiful pool and gardens and the mountains were in the distance. The unit was stocked with everything we needed. There were many amenitites on the property. The staff was friendly. We hope to come back here again next year.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Desert Breezes Resort? Share your experiences!