“Your Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Los Angeles
“Your Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I just finished staying at the villas for 6 nights with a friend and family. It was great! I've stayed there many times and I have to say that this was the best time. The villa was as we requested and ready by the time it was supposed to be. We asked for a villa away from Palmeras Pool because we wanted a little quieter location. I would recommend that for people seeking the same. The staff was very friendly and constantly asked if there was anything we needed when we were in their presence. The concierge, Sarah, was excellent. She suggested some local restaurants that serve happy hour prices (half price) all day. We enjoyed a tasty dinner at Piero's at half the price of what we would have normally paid. The only improvement I would recommend is that they need more treadmills in the fitness room. Since there's no spare space they'd actually have to construct a larger one. I'd suggest that would be a worthwhile improvement. All in all it was a great stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Mesquite, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed in a studio. it was ready when we got there. check in was a breeze.
everything was clean and we never heard our neighbors. the pools were clean and well supplied with chairs and towels. the internet was free as were the washers and dryers. they even put a pack of laundry detergent in the unit. I was impressed and that's not an easy thing to do. The getaways are great deals. if you have a chance I highly recommend marriot villas 11.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
manchester, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

We are Marriott owners and traded our week for Palm Desert! We were given the Jasmine buildings. I really was not happy with the cleanliness of our room. The stainless steel refrigerator door was filthy, there were food crumbs on the living area rug, and there was a dead bug in the jacuzzi tub. It was disappointing because we know that this is not typical of Marriott! We've been to several other vacation club resorts and this was the first one that I've been disappointed in! Now, if you stay in Villas 1 or in the larger Villas 2 area, I heard from other people that those rooms were beautiful and clean. The Jasmine buildings are separate from the rest of the resort. They do provide a shuttle to take you to the larger pool and activities at the main buildings. On a positive note, the staff was friendly and very helpful! We did take a "tour" at Shadow Ridge which was absolutely beautiful. If we were to come back here, we would try for that resort! Palm Desert is a beautiful area!! I've never seen anything like it and it was well worth the trip across the country to see it!!! BTW, take the Hummer Adventure Tours into the mountains & desert, it was amazing (bumpy, but amazing)!! We found a great shopping area in Palm Springs on our last day and ate at a terrific Mexican restaurant called La Casuelas!!! All in all, a great vacation, it could've been better with the cleanliness issue, but we didn't let that stop us from having a great time! Palm Desert is beautiful and I would recommend this Marriott, but not the Jasmine building!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Desert Villas II over Labor Day weekend 2009 using our timeshare. We drove down from Las Vegas. This resort is beautiful and the condo was one of the nicest I've stayed in. The bed was comfy, couch was comfy, kitchen had everything we needed, and there were pools throughout the resort. The room had been steam cleaned before we checked in which meant super clean carpets and furniture. We were used to desert heat and spent time daily by the pool near our room. I cooked all of our meals so that we could truly relax. Loved it and can't wait to go back. :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a five-night stay at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas II as a timeshare exchange with Interval International. We found the property to be just what we have come to expect from Marriott and were generally happy with the exchange. The only thing that we didn't care for was the fact that we traded a one bedroom for a studio because no one bedrooms were available. We've done this before with other properties and it was fine. However, studios at this property are really just hotel rooms, i.e., no dishwasher, no washer dryer, and not even a DVD player, which they do have at many hotel rooms. They do loan DVD players but an engineer had to hook it up (with much difficulty) to the TV. I would stay at this property again, but only if we had a one bedroom. They do offer free use of a washer and dryer at the clubhouse but it is still much more convenient to have one in the unit.

The location is fine. This was our first trip to the area and I was afraid we would be sorry that we didn't stay in Palm Springs proper, but that was far from the case. We didn't really care for Palm Springs and much preferred the other desert cities. This resort really caters to golfers - and we are not golfers - so we would have preferred a more natural setting with walking paths, but golf-centric hotels are to be expected in Palm Desert.

Marriott personnel were nice and helpful with the exception of one front desk person who was curt and not helpful at all. There was an initial attempt to get us to attend a timeshare presentation but there was no pressure and they immediately backed off when we said we weren't interested.

Overall, it was a very nice resort and we would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I just got back from a stay at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas II. This was a family trip including my husband, 3 children (18, 16, 12), my parents, my brother and his family ( 2 kids ages 7, 5). We had a nice time but i thought there were some drawbacks to this resort. First of all it is just too big and does not have adequate pool space for all the units that they have. We were put in units in Jasmine court which had the advantage of being a little bit quieter, but was a drive away from tennis and other activities.

Here are my suggestions for Marriott to make this place better. First of all there were not nearly enough umbrellas at the pool. This created an atomosphere of competition amongst the guests. Some guests seemed to think they could come out early in the morning, plop a few towels on some chairs under umbrellas and then claim them as their own for the day. One day we arrived at the pool and found it to be quite crowded. I saw a few chairs under an umbrella with a few of the villa's towels on them. There were no personal items and no sign of anyone using these chairs. We moved their towels and took this spot. About an hour later they show up and demand we move because this is THEIR SPOT. They said they put towels there over 2 hours ago and we would have to move. My response was you have to be kidding me. Well, it was unpleasant. This should not happen. First of all if there were more umbrellas/shade at the pool it would not be such an issue. Also, the Marriott needs to put a stop to this type of behavior. Unatttended towels/items should be removed after a period of time (ie 20 mins) and the hotel should have a policy against this type of behavior.

Also, the store at the Jasmine Court pool is a joke. There should be a place that serves food, drinks and a larger more adequately stocked store.

I could go on but I think if these issues are addressed it would make the resort much nicer.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Stayed here for the Memorial Day Weekend. We had a reservation for the full 2 bedroom/2 bath villa. We checked in at 4:30 pm and only the lock-off was ready. No problem. We went grocery shopping at the nearby Costco (Dinah Shore & Monterey) and Ralph's (Country Club Dr across the street from the JW Marriott). Room was ready at 5:30 pm. Front desk called us on our cell phone.

Desert Springs Villas II is a timeshare property (Marriott Vacation Club - MVCI). We own at Canyon Villas in Phoenix. We were assigned in a room within their "Jasmine Court" enclave of buildings. You actually have drive outside of the main property to get to Jasmine Court. Its still "on property" but their is no way to get to the JW or the main building without driving or catching a shuttle. At first we found this to our liking but later we found this to be a pain. One of the problems is that you have to call for the shuttle. It does not run on a regular schedule. Jasmine Court has its own "service desk" but it has limited hours closing at 4 pm. Difficult location make its difficult to access the main pool and pool bar. You either have to call a shuttle or drive over.

The property in general is beautiful and I prefer the units here over Shadow Ridge. Units here were bigger with Flat Screen TV. The room was was much larger than most of the MVCI properties that we have stayed at. Appliances were all stainless steel. Bedrooms (including lock-off) had his and hers closets. Rooms were really clean. Furniture was in good condition. However, there were a couple things wrong with our room. One of the drawers in the lock-off did not slide properly. The screen door lock in the lock-off was also broken. Pans were in good condition.

Jasmine Court has its own pool but we found it had some problems:
- Lacked any kind of shade. Only palms which offer very little shade. Only about 10 umbrellas to around.
- Dirty. I know it was Memorial Day but there was a thick layer of grime on the pool tiles. Water had a sheen.
- Still a chlorinated pool. Most MVCI properties have been switching to a salt water pool.
- Small pool and only 1 jacuzzi not big enough to support all the guests at Jasmine Court.

Room Key problems: On Sunday we had problems with our room keys. Apparently the front desk only programmed them for 2 nights. We had reservations for 3 nights.

Shuttle problems: I had originally schedule a shuttle for 8:00 am on Saturday to get over to the Tennis Club. I waited until 8:23 am and it still did not come. I was going to be late for my tennis clinic. So I decided to get in my car. My traveling partners said they called at 8:30 to see if I was still there. I left already. After this incident on Saturday we drove every time we needed to go to the JW.

Cable/Satellite Reception was really poor. We had really bad reception most of our stay. Our vacation was not about watching TV so it was not a big issue. TVs were flat screen with limited High Definition channels. Major networks were NOT available in HD.

Because we were renters, the price paid includes daily tidy service. We called the front desk to decline daily tidy service everyday. This was not communicated and we had someone knocking on our door everyday.

Check out my review of Spa at Marriott's Desert Springs. I thought the Spa was fantastic. The tennis clinic is awesome. The instructors are really good. I learned a lot and I have been playing for over 20 years.

Access to the JW Pool is available for a fee. Access to Spa is available for a fee. Apparently this used to be included but not anymore. Not a big deal for us. We think they Spa should include a fee to keep the spa experience a peaceful and serene experience not overly crowded.

Internet access was average at best. Good at times but sometimes very poor. Not reliable.

Overall, we had some issues and being that this was Memorial Day weekend...the property was full. We did not want to make a big deal with some of the issues which we thought was minor. It did however affect my opinion of this property.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Marriott's Shadow Ridge
Marriott's Shadow Ridge
#11 of 22 in Palm Desert
4.0 of 5 stars 848 reviews

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!