“Beautiful place to stay but seems understaffed” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 20%
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Beautiful place to stay but seems understaffed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

As Marriott Vacation Club Owners, we have high expectations when we visit a Marriott timeshare resort. Our stay at this resort was an exchange and we stayed a full week; we have stayed here several times in the past. The recently renovated unit was beautiful. We enjoyed a perfect view of the golf course and mountains and enjoyed several meals from our patio. The in-unit washer and dryer is a great amenity, and the variety of activities in the complex for both young and old are excellent. Their comparatively new recreation center, Shade, offers exercise classes, cooking competitions, games and other diversions for all ages. Several complaints--our room was not ready at check-in until well after 4:00 p.m., and only then because I took the initiative to track down a maid and her supervisor and have them verify that the room was ready. For people who have driven long distances, this is a serious inconvenience. I have read other reviews that have the same complaint.

The pools in the complex are all quite nice, some busier and more heavily used than others. The resort has made a substantial investment in these facilities, but they are not servicing the pools as they should be. I arrived at the large Palmeras pool at about 3:00 p.m on a Saturday, and it looked like a tornado had been through the pool area. Empty and half empty plastic beverage cup and styrofoam food containers littered the pool area. Trash containers were overflowing. Dirty towels covered the chairs and the dirty towel bin was stacked nearly eight feet high (no exaggeration). I looked around for employees, and I found only a bartender and a single person working at the towel counter distributing clean towels. These are not the conditions I expect to see at a Marriott resort. Both of my complaints suggest that the place is understaffed, and perhaps poorly managed.

Marriott is always anxious to sell me another time share, but it is experiences like these that cause me to be reluctant. Impeccable service is the first rule if you expect repeat business.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first time back in Palm Desert in fifteen years and, in spite of the sprawl of development that has taken place in that time, it was really nice to be back. The Marriott Desert Springs property is located within easy distance of most of the attractions in the valley, but for our purposes was an excellent and beautiful home away at which to relax.
The Desert Springs Villas 1 & 2 are situated just south of the main hotel and share common facilities and a central lobby building. I was told that there were seven pools shared by all the villas and that we could use any of them. We stayed at Villas 2 in a one bedroom unit on the second floor. The unit was approximately 750 square feet and had a lovely balcony overlooking a pond and the golf course. The unit was immaculate, nicely furnished and well designed. For a family, staying in a villa unit is a much more comfortable and more affordable option than staying in a hotel room. Yes, you do give up certain hotel services when you stay in the villas. However, in my view, you gain the benefits of having your own apartment rather than a simple hotel room.
Our unit was about a three minute walk to the nearest pool and about ten minutes to the large pool complex that offered a snack bar restaurant and a children's pool. Visiting during the week in May meant that we had most of the pool area to ourselves; although there was a number of other families with small children as well. Indeed, if you're visiting as a couple looking for a romantic getaway the "quiet" pools would be far more desirable.
The grounds are beautiful and served by a shuttle bus that circles all the villas and connects them with the main hotel twice per hour. We preferred to walk around the grounds and only once found our way to the main hotel where my wife enjoyed the beautiful spa. One of the main differences between Villas 1 & 2 during our stay was that guests at Villas 1 could use the pool area at the main hotel free of charge, whereas Villas 2 guests would have to pay $15 per person. As far as I was concerned, there was no reason for us to go beyond our own pools while we visited.
My only complaints are rather minor in the grand picture. As other reviews have mentioned, check in as a late 4PM and check out is a too early 10AM. Even 11AM makes a big difference in enjoying one's final day. Also, our request for a child's crib was taken care of only after a second call was made and then only arrived at 8PM after our baby had already fallen asleep. In spite of these hiccups, our stay was very enjoyable and we were very impressed with the bottle of wine that was left in our unit for my wife's birthday.
Palm Desert is a very unique and beautiful area. When you're at the Marriott Villas it's easy to forget that you're only a short distance into LA. For a family, the villas are a great escape and next time I'm in California I intend to stay a lot longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Big room suites, clean and comfortable. Very easy to get to, golf abounds, pools convenient, parking convenient and overall a great stay. I'm making reservations for next year before I leave. Very fair priced for what you have here

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Each year my wife and I go to the desert to play in a senior national tennis tournament and have stayed on this property for the last several years. The condos are well appointed: small kitchen, large-screen TV, high speed internet, very comfortable bed with lots of pillows, swimming pool and hot tub a few steps away and convenient parking just outside the unit. We had an end unit so there was almost no noise and had a beautiful view of the distant mountains. It is a short 10 minutes drive to lots of great restaurants and shopping for those so inclined. The grounds were a bit messy in places but that was the only detractor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing west so you can get a view of the mountains or at least overlooking the golf c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We just finished a week at this resort and contrary to other reviews we would rate this resort and hotel as one of the best places to go and unwind. We played golf 4 times and visited the Joshua Tree park. The folks at the Marriott property were all great to work with, even the Pro shop.
Will

• Stayed April 2013
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

First of all, I should point out that this is a lovely resort, and we were happy with just about everything - level of accommodation, lovely staff etc. We just had one issue, and since it was important to us as a family, it may also apply to you, so here it is as a heads-up. We booked for Spring Break, with our kids - 13,11 and 5. I know opinions will vary, but as far as we were concerned, we didn't particularly want to share a room with them but we wanted the next door, or at least across the way, so we asked for this one thing specifically when making the booking. (We couldn't get a suite). We also phoned ahead the day before to make sure this would be ok and were told it was being taken care of.
When we arrived, we were told basically because they were completely full, they best that could be done was that our rooms were in the same block.......My husband pointed out that we had made this request in advance, so the guy on the desk proceeded to check to see if he could fulfill it - thus saying, essentially, that they had not even bothered to look at it before.
We asked to see a manager. She gave us a speech on the impossibilities of juggling this when all of their 1200 + rooms were full - but we couldn't see why, with that many rooms, it hadn't been possible - not unless nobody at all had moved out in the last 2 months! The worst thing was, she just didn't really care. You could tell she wasn't a parent, and that's not her fault, but Marriott, as a huge corporation, if you don't really understand that this point is kind of essential to parents - well, that's kind of a large sector to upset, isn't it?
Also kind of strange - the kids area - lovely - lots of Apple Ipads and stuff! Fantastic! Just beware the entry is a little erratic in that, for example, the kids are not allowed into the older area unless they are 13, but once vetted, they may be left unattended in a room in which we saw an opened bottle of red wine and glasses also unattended at the back....I am sure this was just an oversight, leftover from maybe an adults 'do', but still - just be aware, if you think your kids might check it out!
Hope our observations help - if they don't apply to you, you should have a great time. It's otherwise a fine resort.

Room Tip: Please dont pay too much attention to my detailed rating - its hard to rate service, for example whe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aldine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was pretty nervous reading the reviews months before I got to the actual place but it was great to me. They are timeshares so its basically like away from everything. The walk to the JW Marriott was only a few minutes so if you need food or whatever you go there. The room was great, it wasnt noisy, and it was beautiful in the back. Awesome shower and I only found one cricket in the tub. He was a cutie. Anywho, loved the stay and the bed was soft.

Room Tip: I didnt get to spa but im sure its awesome. Rooms in the 9900's are quiet and secluded. make sur...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!