“Family fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
Canada
“Family fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Timeshare was nice. The pool was great for the kids. A little chilly for December, but kids had fun. The recreation building was great for indoor play with two Wii's, internet area for teens and outdoor climbing wall. The wall is not high but it is fairly wide.

• Stayed December 2012

564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I consider myself a pretty patient person. I gave Marriott 3 opportunities to impress me with from every indication (online) is a great place to stay.

Service: Every time, and I mean *every*. single. time.....we checked in the room wasn't ready. Dead bugs or ants on the floors, cobwebs on the lamps, HAIR on the pillows. Come ON Marriott. The 3rd time we went, they gave us the wrong room keys, it was 120 outside and it took them 45 minutes to get us new keys. Prompt! When I booked the room on our second visit, I wanted to surprise my wife with food and champagne so I ordered it with the room and told them when we were checking in. Nothing was ready, no food, no champagne. Pathetic.

Environment: Decent. The pool temps are consistently, ludicrously high. I would wager somewhere between 86-88 degrees. Why bother with the hot tub? Good luck cooling off if it's hot outside. The rooms (if clean) are nice looking. I enjoyed watching bunnies scamper around on the golf course in the afternoons. Nice greens and barbeque pits. I was able to sleep well here, I didn't find it terribly noisy.

Overall: Absolutely NOT worth the price. I will never return. If I'm dropping ~$350-400 a night, there are FAR better places to stay in Palm Desert/Springs. Until they roll over management or the housekeeping staff this place is an dud.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my second time staying at this property. The rooms were great, make sure you get a golf course view. This is a great place to come if you just want to get away and relax! I would also recommend asking for a room closer to the main pool area if you are planning on going back and forth from your room to the pool a lot.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The Marriott Desert Springs Villas II happens to be our home club, but we don't use it all that often (because I hate the flight from DC to CA). It's been 5 years since we were last here, and I am pleased to say that the property has been impeccably maintained. Right now, the main pool is being redone, so you must go to one of the smaller pools on the property. I was disappointed that pool was closed, but I was pleased to see that Marriott is doing such a fabulous job of keeping things well-maintained. Each time I had to call the front desk for anything, my needs were met promptly. Would I recommend this place to a friend? Yes, in a second. It's a lovely property, well-maintained, and convenient to all the sights and activities that Palm Springs has to offer. This place deserves 5 stars!

Room Tip: We like to try to get a west facing room so that we can watch the sunset over the mountains.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I was disappointed in this property. The grounds are very nice, but the constant noise from vehicles and service associates made this stay less than satisfactory. I asked for a ground floor unit hoping to alleviate the struggle of carrying luggage and golf clubs to an upper floor. Much to my dismay, we were placed in the first building right next to the Shade recreation center with no view and a LOT of noise. This was the first time that a Marriott associate didn't advise of the situation and give us another option. I called first thing in the morning and asked to change rooms and was told that they were at 100% capacity and could not change us. When I asked the associate if they could keep trying and to let us know later in the day if anything was available, she became snippy with me.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room with a golf course view away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pacifica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've stayed at the villas twice, and I have to say, they are a bit underwhelming. The units themselves are big and spacious, with good AC & high ceilings. Kitchens offer a lot of amenities for those wanting to prepare their own meals. I just think the location leaves much to be desired. There's not much to do in the immediate area, so you'll have to drive anywhere to get to a point of interest. The grounds themselves are in a walled compound, where my view has both times been just basically a big green in front of a concrete wall with an office park behind it. In the desert heat, the pools fill up on weekends, to the point where the surface of the smaller pools fill to capacity with people floating on their little blow-up loungers. The main pool was kind of a meat market from what I could tell, sort of a spring break vibe with mobs of people drinking beer in the pool. Maybe someone who's into that sort of thing would like that, but it was terrible for families with small children. Also, there are not enough shade umbrellas, and you kind of have to fight to claim one if you want to lounge by the pool. I found the only way I could get some peace on the property was to go back to my villa.

Only some of the parking spots are covered. The rest will turn your car into a dangerous oven in the middle of the day.

If you do have a small child, at least there is a play structure by one of the pools that is entirely covered with a shade.

Overall, I couldn't really get into staying there. The service was ok, but impersonal. The gym was adequate.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the noisy main pool if you're looking for some peace and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Green Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

As Marriott owners this was one of the best places we have stayed. Check-in was quick and easy, staff has been excellent. Convenient place for sightseeing, golfing, shopping and dining. We are definitely coming back. Would like to make this a yearly trip.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!