“Happy Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Boracay, Philippines
“Happy Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at DSVII. We had one bedroom villa with microwave,mini fridge,flat screen tv. Our bed was super comfortable! We have our own balcony. This resort hotel is the place you want to stay when visiting Palm Desert or Palm Spring. It has three swimming pools,big fitness room,spa,golf course,restaurant inside the property.If you are a Marriott rewards member the rate is little less expensive. Cancellations is three days before arrival. Check in time is 4 pm and check out time is 10am. I recommend this hotel to every one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Medina, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We exchanged through II for a one bedroom villa. After driving all day, we arrived to check in and were told that we had booked a studio and not a one bedroom. The check in clerk was rude and implied that we were trying to steal an upgrade. When I produced my confirmation certificate he said that they didn't have any one bedrooms left. I demanded to speak to the manager. After about a 40 minute wait, a one bedroom was found. We took it because we were exhausted at this point. If we hadn't had the confirmation with us, we would have been stuck in a studio. The next day we went shopping for groceries. When we returned, we were locked out of our room. It was over 100 degrees and our food was spoiling fast. When I complained, they said it must have been a computer problem. Maybe similar to the one that downgraded our reservation? It took them at least 30 minutes to reactivate our room keys. They were in no hurry. No apologies were offered. Every time after that my daughter got stressed when we went out for fear that we would be locked out again. Our vacation was ruined by this stress. I felt that locking us out was some kind of revenge for insisting on the unit we reserved.Did I mention that the room was infested with ants? Did I mention that we are owners at this misbegotten resort and will never go there again?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was my first trip to Palm Springs and I learnt that you could stay around for many days and there are plenty to do! First of all if you travel as a family the resort seems to be a great place to hang around - with 7 pools, many lovely wondering ducks and a golf course. JW Marriott is next door and it has a great buffet dinner (highly recommended - $35/head with great varieties including crab legs and some of the best desserts). If you do go to JW at night make sure you take the boat ride, it's only few minutes but it's really cool to boat around the luxurious settings and the boat takes you to the lobby!!!
Then there's venturing outside the resort which is plenty. The concierge does a good job in recommendation so stop by it. Went to take the 'Palm Springs Aerial Tramway' up to Mt.San Jacinto which has 54-miles of hiking trails. We only managed the first 1.5miles and took us a day. for those who love wilderness this can be a regular spot to visit. The tram ride itself is a treasurable experience! In 10 minutes, you get this thrilling ride with breathtaking view. Certainly a must-do for all visitors to Palm Spring. The Indian Canyons look beautiful too although we didn't have time to get to it. Will be a definite item on the itinerary next time.
Now, about the villa itself. Being a regular Marriott Platinum member I needed to remind myself that this is not a hotel experience, it's a villa - so don't expect shampoo to be replaced each day. Call and request for things early, because the protocol response is "it'll be there within the hour". Another thing with these "owned timeshare" is that you do have to checkout at 10am, something that me as a Platinum is not used to. At Marriotts all around the world I can usually get away with 12-2pm checkout but not here.
Let me compliment the beautiful villa - this is top of the range. Go for the one-bedroom of course to get the villa experience. Great looking dining area with high ceilings, so gorgeous I made it a point to have at least one dinner at home (chinese takeout place just outside the resort). It has a fully equiped kitchen and a Ralphs just around the corner for longer stays. Huge space with two closets and a balcony that looks to the golf course. Fun to watch ducks running around in groups in the morning.
I will be back because my Marriott points serves great value here with a gorgeous one-bedroom villa. Also so much to do in the area - great place for a getaway.

Room Tip: Everyone's talking about 1st or 2nd floor. Those are the only two choices. Take 1st floor if you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Northeast PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We've stayed at this resort many times and will continue to return. We typically book through a getaway using our Interval time share. Very affordable that way! The property has two golf courses and beautiful views of the courses and mountains. Staff is very nice. There are several pools including adult only pools and a large pool with a bar and food. Pool was heated when we were there in November. Can't wait to visit again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Summary: Overall I recommend this place, it's a lovely place with minor things that could be improved upon.

Some quick tips:
1. Do not get adjoining rooms, I could hear everything from the room next door, including the TV, and regular conversation pretty loudly. Also, I stayed upstairs but from the other reviews I could gather that you could hear people walking around pretty loudly if you're on the ground floor.

2. You can call the hotel up to 3 weeks before your stay and request things like 1st or 2nd floor (there are only 2 floors in all the buildings with no elevators), certain views (I think you can get mountain views, golf course views or face lakes/waterfalls), refurbished units etc. No guarantees but they'll try to match, I got what I wanted.

On to the rest of the review: the property is definitely lovely and the villas (as opposed to the regular rooms) are spacious (1200 sq ft for the 1 bedroom villa) and well furnished (full kitchen including pots/pans/cups/plates/utensils and stove/range/oven/dishwasher), a full size washer and dryer. Also a nice touch I didn't expect was the Blu-Ray player (also plays DVDs) not sure if all the rooms will have them though.

I saw some minor stains on the sofa cushions but overall everything else was clean. Also, the separate tub, which is big, is not a jacuzzi as Marriott's site states. We used the sofabed and it was actually pretty decent for a sofabed vs what some of the other reviews have said but then I didn't sleep on it (I just tried it out briefly) but it was better than most other sofabeds I've tried in the past. The people who did sleep on it said they slept well. There were 2 extra pillows but only a thin comforter for the sofabed in the closets, we requested extra blankets which were delivered pretty quickly.

Now I'm totally nitpicking but the toiletries (as well as the actual toilet paper, thin single ply) are out of place in a Marriott category 6 hotel. And as others noted, the garbage bags are laid out along the walkways but I didn't really mind them.

Service was good and efficient overall but some of the folks at the check-in desks could smile more and be more welcoming. :) And do note they do try to be flexible on the check-in and check-out times but I don't think they have that much room to work with, I got to check in 30 minutes early and check out 30 minutes late but most other reviews have said they didn't get any flexibility.

Overall I feel like I may have spent more words pointing out the minor faults but I had a good stay and would recommend this place with the things I noted in my review.

Room Tip: Do not get adjoining rooms (unless you have multiple rooms and want them adjoined), get rooms on the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We rented a 2 bedrooms/2 baths villa.

Pros: Spacious, large bathrooms, large bedrooms, nice size balcony, clean, refurbished, great view of the mountains and golf course, nice pools, plenty of activities.

Cons: None

This place is great for families who like to relax and have a great time. Tons of activities available. Must have a car. Wished we could stay longer. Would go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed in building 475 in a unit on the ground floor of the two stories for 2 weeks situated near pond and waterfall looking across a golf fairway. We were pleasantly surprised at the variety of natural waterfowl visiting the pond and waterway on golf course. The unit was very clean, attractive and decor well appointed. One bedroom is separated by a lock-off door between the main area and came with its own bathroom, two good sized closets, king bed, couch, small pedestal table, recessed ceiling lighting, two bed lamps and one trilight stand, an LCD screen tv, . There was also a small counter with bar sink, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, bar fridge, cutlery and plates, cups and glasses, this unit had its own entry exit in addition to the lock-off door. A sliding door opened at one end of unit for access to small patio with view of waterway and pond. King bed was a delight to sleep in.
The main unit on the other side of the lock-off had a well equipped kitchen with smooth top electric stove and oven, fridge, dishwasher, coffee maker, blender, toaster, high backed stool chairs for sit up to granite counter for breakfast. Large flat screen tv and DVD player in living room area furnished with couch and two armchairs, all very comfortable. The dining area designed like round rotunda had glass topped circular wooden table and six upholstered chairs with elegant light fixture. A larger patio accessed from dining/living area equipped with 4 bronze coloured deck chairs and one lounge chair with great view of water and golf course. Main bedroom had own flat screen tv, safe, king bed and plenty of storage for clothing. Bathroom boasted a large soaker tub and separate area foe a toilet and neo-angle shower. A washer and dryer for laundry was near front entry/foyer in a closet. Floors were mostly carpeted except for bathrooms, foyer, kitchen areas that had interesting combo of grouted strips of resilient vinyl flooring which were very easy to clean and maintain.
The building was steps away from the quiet pool nearby that had a welcomed hot tub spa, rest room and outside shower and abundant supply of towels. The recreation/activity area known as the Shade was ideal for kids with video games, separate activity room, outside pool table and ping pong table. Bicycles were available for rent, but thought the rental fee was a bit on the high side for the basic bike offered. Separate mini movie theatre ran posted movies during parts of day into evening. The resort clubhouse and guest registration area was attractive and welcoming, friendly staff. A pool outside offered relief on hot days and hot tub/spa for relaxing. An exercise room with lots of equipment in two rooms was under utilized by guests. We enjoyed being able to listen to music or watch tv via supplied ear buds while using equipment.
The main hotel which is separate from this property is worthy of a visit. The grounds are immense and spectacular as is the hotel with 880 rooms. The lobby alone is worth visit with its huge rising ceiling and palatial setting. There is an inside moat that has a small motorized boat to take you outside for a short cruise around the hotel and grounds. Be sure to see the exotic birds on the lower floor. Several restaurants are featured, boutiques and an immense spa fitness building.
Lots of opportunity for shopping is nearby Maceys, Costco, Ralph's and several outlet stores, ask the locals for directions. Thursday evenings feature an open air market that is a must and on weekends do attend the College of the Desert open air market with some vendors selling fresh produce like dates and sun dried raisins - yum.
If you can't relax here at this resort I doubt that you can find a place to do so.

Room Tip: This is truly a place of relaxation. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance, the desk and staff...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Marriott's Shadow Ridge
Marriott's Shadow Ridge
#10 of 22 in Palm Desert
4.0 of 5 stars 840 reviews

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!