“Big place--lots to do” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Waupaca, WI
“Big place--lots to do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

I stayed here 5 days after checking out suddenly from another hotel. This is a big place. It is slowly getting a facelift. Rooms are redone and the lobby was overhauled and looks very sleek and functional. Service is excellent at this property. It has many foos venues and all I ate at were very good. It is a big place and you have to walk alot to get to pool, bar and out of the place. I would stay here again. No the best marriott i have stayed at but certainaly in their top tier.

• Liked — service, food, pool
  • Disliked — size of property
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
St. Helena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

The Hotel was wonderful! I'm not sure what other people mean by older hotel? The Lobby is brand new and all the restaurants look brand new! We stayed in the Chairmans suite which is over 2000 feet and just wonderful! We ate the Lakeside cafe for Dinner and it was ok. However we ate at Tuscany one night for dinner and it was super wonderful. Anyway I would recommend this Hotel anytime it was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Pismo Beach, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

Stayed here mid-week just after Labor Day, and really enjoyed it overall. The lobby area has recently been re-modeled, and the lobby bar and furnishings are very pleasant. Be prepared, this hotel is BIG! If your room is on the outskirts, you will walk quite a bit, which we didn't mind. The trade off for having a room far way from the lobby is that it is very quiet, and your view will more likely be primarily of the lake, with the pool off to the side. Do spring for the superior lake/pool view, it is worth the money. We arrived around 10pm the first evening (a tuesday) and were pleased to find the lobby bar still lively and there was a 24 hour room service menu. Being very hot, nearly 100 degrees, we didn't want anything to eat, but were glad to go down and have a cold drink after stowing our luggage in our room. Took a walk and explored the property, which has 5 pools, 2 eighteen hole golf courses, several restaurants, tennis and more. We booked the unlimited golf package, which is a great value, and includes your cart. The pro-shop and starter are just beyond the pool, and they will store your clubs, which makes it very easy. I wont comment on the courses because I'm such an amatuer golfer, but my husband, who is an experienced player thought they were very nice. As far as the dining goes, we had the room service once, sushi at the lobby bar as an appetizer one night, and dinner at the japanese restaurant, Mikado one night. We rarely eat at hotel restaurants because we like to get off the property, but everything we tried was VERY good. You can order sushi appetizers during the evening at the lobby bar at a very reasonable price; the other venues can be pricey, but not ridiculous. The on-site Japanese restaurant is very good. All of the seating is at the Teppan tables, so there is lots of conversation between patrons. We ventured to Sullivan's Steak House in the El Paseo shopping mall one evening and had a FABULOUS meal, would highly recommend it if you like a lively atmosphere. They had a jazz trio in the bar, exceptional service, and offer late night dining. The place was full of locals, which is always a good sign. Also had dinner one night at Morton's , which is just across the street from the resort, and was very good. I would recommend it to anyone, just for the experience, but if I had a choice of going back to one or the other, I would go to Sullivan's. The El Paseo is a GREAT shopping district if you get the chance. Other than golf and dining, our time was spent in the pools, which are very nice. There are 3 pools opposite the lobby, one at the spa, and one at the far end near the conference center. The three opposite the lobby are staffed so you can order a beverage or rent a floatie. They also play music which makes for a festive atmosphere. The pool near the conference center is a great getaway from the crowds, but does not generally have beverage service, so it depends on what is important to you. Some of the reviews commented on the weekends being very busy at the pools. We left around noon on Saturday and things were not yet crazy, which makes me wonder if that is only a problem during the summer months?? All of the staff were very friendly and answered any questions we had and quickly helped when we asked. Overall we thought the prices were reasonable, and the stay was very nice; although the key to that may be staying mid week in the off season. We definitely plan to return.

• Stayed September 2007
Western NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

This is an older property, that is just slightly beginning to show its' age. Rooms are nice - but (as an example) not flat screen tv nice. My room was large, with an updated bath that included a shower stall and separate tub. Comfortable bed, desk area, sofa - more of a standard business room than an elegant resort room. I overlooked the lake - quite pretty and peaceful - with beautiful white & black swans! The room was very clean, and the bed comfortable. There are 2 pools - I never went to the largest one - it was always busy & crowded - but people were certainly enjoying themselves! There was a smaller one that was much less crowded (so in my mind, much nicer) but did not have the restaurant and wait staff that the larger one has. Just depends on what you want. Weekends are BUSY with locals and weekdays are BUSY with conventions - so if you are fine with that, you will be happy with this hotel. A nice selection of restaurants, and food was good. One of the best assets of this hotel is the staff - all very friendly and accommodating. (and I had several special requests that were met pleasantly with no hassles!) Valet parking costs 2X the amount of self parking - grounds are pretty - so park yourself and walk! I was unable to enjoy the spa (I was there for a convention) so cannot comment - but it had been newly renovated and I heard some other positive comments. All in all - a good stay, and I would go back. If you are looking for a fun weekend with friends, a family get away, or a "date" night with sig other; you will probably be pleased here. If you want a true RESORT hotel, not sure if this fits the bill - more of a very nice, upscale, normal hotel with nice grounds, pools and a spa - however, it does not cost what a true resort costs, either - so - know what you want and set your expectations accordingly! I would suggest spending the $ and insure that you have a room with a pool, lake, or golf course view - otherwise, you may be looking at (and hearing) the parking lot! One cool thing if you have kids - they have a boat that will pick you up in the lobby and take you to your room - the kids I saw loved it!

• Liked — friendliness of the staff and the beauty of the grounds
  • Disliked — Starbucks was too far from my room :>)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

We stayed at the Desert Springs Resort and Spa in August 2007 and had a standard room.
The beds were wonderful, they had fluffy down pillows, comforters and beds. There were two queen size beds and 1 sofa bed. The sofa bed was awful, I was told by my sister that it felt like you were slepping right on the springs. The bathroom was big with a tub and separate shower. Everything was in marble. Double sink. They had a cordless phone in the room. Decorations could weren't that great, especially for a upscale resort..but oh well. What i really did not like was that you can hear everything in your room, you can even hear the noise from the lobby bar!

There are 5 pools. in one of the pools they played a kid movie from a projector which was fun! They did charge 2 dollars for popcorn, but then you had unlimited refills.

On the first floor of the hotel there a a few exoctic birds in cages which were okay to look at.

Overall, I think this place is not good for families with kids, it does not seem to be geared towards them. Maybe young adults would enjoy the resort better. Also the food prices in the resort are OUTRAGEOUS

• Liked — the fluffy, soft beds and pillows
  • Disliked — teh heat and is a bit boring
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

Overall, our stay was excellent! The JW has trained it's personnel to be exceptionally polite and friendly, almost everyone greeted us and offered assistance. In the summer season, the hotel is notorious for having hundreds of young partiers, and if you are prepared for this, it can be very fun. We also stayed during the SeaDoo convention, so there were activities and parties everywhere. The poolside band was entertaining, and only the main pool got overcrowded and rowdy. It's there if you want it, and more quiet and sedate at other pool venues if that is what you want.
The Sunday morning buffet was one of the better one's we had been to, and we decided to eat on the outside patio in spite of the 95-100 degree morning air. The only possible improvement would have been misters in many areas.
The birds on exhibit were different and fun.
The inside bar had a nice ambiance and filled to capacity. Fun to watch and participate.
The gondola boats are a fun way to get indoctrinated to the layout of the immense hotel. The timeshares are a bit of a walk, but there is a tram that runs twice an hour.
We definately got our moneys worth, and look forward to returning next summer!

Stayed August 2007
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

My husband and I travel fairly extensively, but had never been to the Palm Springs area before. We were tired of winter weather and wanted a break-voila! Desert Springs here we come!

The grounds of this resort are lovely. I was very impressed with the lobby as well. The valet was friendly enough but the price to park is obscene. About $23.00 or so if memory serves me correctly! Crazy! We were booked in a room a loooooong way from the lobby. My husband and I are in our 40's but I think it would be difficult for a senior citizen or disabled person to get around in this sprawling resort. It seemed we walked for miles before we got to our room.

The room itself was nice enough and clean, (it overlooked the golf course) but was nothing special. They could actually update the overall look if you ask me. It seemed somewhat dated. But it was clean and housekeeping did do a good job. My only concern with cleanliness was with dirty plates from room service in the hallways. We were there for 3 days and we saw the same food tray and plates sitting in the hallway without being removed for the full 3 days we were there. Yuck! By the third day the plates were really looking nasty and starting to stink. You can't tell me housekeeping didn't see (or smell!!!) them. I can't imagine why they left them sitting there day after day.

We did not eat on site so I cannot comment on the restaurants or food. We did have a drink in the bar in the lobby and it was fine.

For the price I felt this hotel did not live up to my expectations. But I would stay here again but would go into it not expecting a nicer place.

• Liked — Lovely grounds, golf course, close to Palm Springs
  • Disliked — Huge sprawling comples, dirty plates in the hallways, dated look of room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!