“GREAT RELAXING GETAWAY FOR GOLF, SPA & KIDS” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“GREAT RELAXING GETAWAY FOR GOLF, SPA & KIDS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

We have always loved the location of the JW Marriott. We have stayed at the Villas as well which is a different experience altogether - like renting a condo. We stayed at the JW Resort for Mother's Day weekend. From the moment we checked in until we left, the staff was extremely polite and accomodated our every need. They continually greeted us by name, asked if we needed anything and wished me a happy Mother's Day when they saw me with my 3 year old son.

Our room had a signature view - which is a king size bed room with a view of the pools, lake and golf course. The room was spacious, clean and well kept. Not your updated, luxurious or trendy room, but elegant and clean. I would rate this hotel 4 stars. As you can tell from my other contributions, we have stayed at resorts and hotels from all ends of the spectrum.

The room provided a desk, two chairs, a couch, coffee table, 6 magazines, flat screen TV and locked mini bar (so kids cannot get to it). The bathroom was nice (not ultra luxurious but clean) with stand up tiled shower separate to the tub - old but clean, two sinks, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, q-tips, cotton balls (no shower cap and no shower gel), ample towels.

The hotel does charge an optional $25 per day "Resort Fee" which includes self parking which alone costs $12.95/day, Mini Golf for kids and adults, Internet usage in room (also costs $12.95/day), storage of golf clubs........

The pools in the main area (Oasis) were horribly crowded on Saturday and looked like a wild meat factory! It was filled with young and middle aged wild people who looked like they drink and party too much. It was loud, noisy, and just not what you expect for a get away!! I also do not like to expose my child to such vulgar language and conduct. They actually have to post guards at each gate opening to search purses for alcohol etc...!!! They even provided us with a list of pool rules when we check in. I have never seen such a thing! Reminding us to keep our clothes on, to order one drink at a time, to not use vulgar language etc......... it is obviously a problem at this hotel. I saw it with my own eyes. Thank God we found the Springs Pool hidden away from the vulgarity. We had a wonderful time with other families and had excellent service. The food by the pool was also very reasonably priced for a resort.

The Hotel grounds are beautiful and it is a shame that people from the party scene end up coming there. The DJ at the main pools was so loud, that if you are looking for a peaceful getaway, you have no choice but to subject yourself to nightclub music.

On Sunday and Monday the resort was transformed into a peaceful atmosphere and was wonderful.

Tips - there are no DVD players in the room nor upon request, so bring your own for the kids. They will provide a refrigerator upon request.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I always wanted to stay here, the water in the lobby and boat shuttles to the restaurants sounded enticing,.
I love the desert, my draw is the stillness and light, the warmth, they all combine for a unique experience. There are some lovely resorts, but this is more like a hotel in Las Vegas. Don't be fooled by the water features, the water is stagnant and green and the damp smell is noticeable in the lobby.
Oh yes' the lobby with the makeover. There are lots of nooks and crannies for seating and an active bar.However, your peace will be interrupted if you pass by the sales people in the lobby selling time shares or condos, or whatever it was.
The hotel meanders without shortcuts, our room was a long 267 steps from the elevator. Not great, but add up the fact that the fee for self park doesn't necessarily get you a parking space anywhere close to the hotel entrances . The gate is left open at times for golfers and diners and the overnight guest is out of luck. The manager would make no adjustments.
Of course the big draw is the pool area. Other resorts have a more interesting and spa like atmosphere. These pools are crowded, {sometimes no chairs} and filled with really loud music. This seems to be a place for younger people, bachelor parties and brides' nights.
The room had a nice large porch. The bed had a feather topper that kept falling
off. The coffee maker is the older type and the coffee undrinkable.
My biggest problem is that the star rating for this hotel does not seem to match how it feels. There are other resorts in the area at a similar cost that are much, much nicer.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Good luck

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Hawthorne, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

The staff is friendly - but for this price I expected a fully working and clean room. The ice machine produced ice with dirt in it. The water temperature at the faucets of the room could only deliver warm or hot water - at least the room temperature control worked. The room is nice, but not as clean as I would expect, and the walls are very thin - I could hear people in rooms on either side of my room and from the room above.
And at $225 for the room I expect free Internet - it cost $12+ and it is slow as molasses. Parking cost extra, using the gym costs extra, using anything costs extra - it's a big rip-off.
The conference service is great, but I am so looking forward to when I can leave here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I'm still a bit amazed by the impressive service the Desert Springs Resort team put forward.

We held our annual leadership retreat at the Resort, and used a conference set up and catering service.

The food - and service - was incredible. I've attended plenty of conferences, and have written off food at these events as bland, overcooked, mass produced, and lacking in nutritional value.

This experience - the exact opposite. The breakfast included egg/cheese croissants - fresh, not soggy, and packed with flavor. Granola, cereals, fresh squeezed juice - all top quality. Lunch - even better. Gruyere mac and cheese, salads and nosh served in oversized martini glasses, sliders that were of exceptional quality, fantastic salads - the list goes on.

But the best part, was the service. I unfortunately failed to check for dietary restrictions of the leaders we had flown into the conference - and ended up having an attendee with severe dietary restrictions due to celiac's and khrone's disease. She all but resorted to a health bar that adhered to her dietary needs for lunch that day. I stopped a catering team member in the hall - Blanca - and explained the oversight on my part. She found a chef - and 10 minutes later, they had whipped up an impressive salad with chicken and dressing that met my team member's needs - and quietly slipped it to her during a session so as not to interrupt the meeting. What's better - 45 minutes later, while we were enjoying a selection of baked goods she couldn't have, they slid in with sorbet that they had found at a different Resort restaurant. Truly impressive service. They did what 99% of restaurants/hotels don't do - took the time, without prompting, to go the extra mile to care for someone that had special needs. My hat is off to Blanca, the chef, and anyone who helped.

I would HIGHLY recommend this resort - the pools are incredible, 2-3 golf courses if memory serves, and perhaps the best lobby/reception area for gathering a small collection of business colleagues together for relaxation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I have really taken to desert life....probably due to the comforts of the hotel. Great hotel, nice people, lots of sun. I even was able to watch playoff hockey in the bar without having to search out a local sports bar!
All said, this is a nice hotel, and food not priced to high either. A walmart about 10 minutes aways for supplies, request a mini fridge at the fron desk for your room, you are all set!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

I stayed at the JW Marriott Palm Desert for a work conference back in February. I had a a beautiful room directly overlooking the pool and the golf course with the mountains in the background. It was gorgeous and I wish I were there for pleasure and not work. My room was large and spacious with a big bathroom, full vanity and all the amenities that you expect with a JW Marriott resort. I also had a slider opening to a nice size balcony. The grounds of the resort were very nicely maintained.

I did arrive a day early and had a chance to sit by the pool which was very relaxing and had plenty of space. I ate lunch at the Pool Bar which served excellent sandwiches/salads etc.

I also checked out the spa and had a pedicure which was not worth the money. Uncomfortable chairs and just not worth spending $70 on a pedi. I should have walked across the street to the shopping plaza and paid 1/3 of the price, but oh well. There is a pharmacy and grocery store in the walking distance shopping plaza, which I bought bottled water and Diet Cokes (pepsi hotel).

I used the fitness center a few times during my stay which was very large and had a variety of cardio machines and free weights and even offered various spin and yoga classes (which I did not take).

I ate dinner at the hotel lobby bar and the sushi bar during my stay and both were excellent. I loved the lobby in general, it was open and airy and the lobby bar plenty of seating/dining options. A Starbucks in the lobby was also a bonus.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Juaners
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I came here with my partner, as he had a conference and my job allows me to work from practically anywhere. Palm Springs area is one of my favorites. I have never stayed here before, so it was all new to me and trying to get my bearings on how to get around took a day or so.
Our room was fairly big with a balcony overlooking the golf course, over on the left side of the property. I would have chosen a higher floor and facing west or east to get some sunlight. However, it was free and I was not about to complain.
There's a parking structure and I highly recommend you use it, since it gets hot and if you have leather seats, well it goes without saying. The elevator leaves you right in the middle of the ballrooms from the parking structure.
The place is really big and my only disappointment was the size of the pools. They seem small for such a huge property. The main pool which is in the middle is a zoo and full of kids. I avoided it like the plague!
There's a Starbucks and a really good sushi restaurant in the lobby, great to grab something to eat between meals.
I highly recommend you eat at the Italian restaurant, Tuscany, the food was amazing.
Overall, this place is beautiful and if you are looking for an all inclusive place that you don't have to drive anywhere, the J.W. Marriott does a good job at that.
There are a lot of families, partially, I think it was the spring break, so there were a lot of kids but our room was quiet, not once did I hear anything outside.
If you do stay here, make sure there are no conferences scheduled.
I personally cannot justify paying $300+ a night for a hotel room, when there are other properties in town that are closer to P.S. and suit my needs, however with that said, If I can find a deal, I would stay here for a few days.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!