“Too Many Party People” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
San Clemente, CA
“Too Many Party People”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

My friend and I stayed here on a Spa Getaway package. Having never stayed here before, I was immediately impressed by the beautiful grounds and common areas. The lobby was breathtaking, with wide open spaces and little boats pulling in giving rides to guests.

My first hint of irritation was with the front desk clerk who gave us horrible directions to get to our room. I didn't realize how big the place was until we got lost going down different corridors to nowhere. The elevator that took us to our room was hot and musty, and the hallway leading to the room was nothing special. The room itself was nice, nothing to write home about, but my friend found a bunch of hairs on the floor of the bathroom and some little bugs on the bedding. We called housekeeping and they remedied the situation right away, to their credit.

We had lunch at the Spa Bistro, which was included in our package, and had a flavorless chicken wrap with a yummy smoothie. There were so many people we had to stand and wait for a table. It grossed me out that the staff moved dirty towel bins out of the mens spa door right through the eating area! There were a ton of women in the spa itself, sometimes standing 3 deep in the bathroom trying to get to a sink or a mirror. The spa staff did a poor job giving us directions around the spa, and the sheer volume of people made the experience seem like a zoo. The massage was WONDERFUL, but all the clients milling about killed the relaxation in a hurry.

Main pool on Saturday (4 pm) was crazy with a bunch of drunks and their used cups floating in the pool. I felt bad for one Dad who tried to take his young daughter swimming, as there was literally no room to move. He got out in a hurry. Security had to kick out some people for chicken fighting, so it was hardly a safe situation for families.

Breakfast at Lakeview on Sunday was awful with some of the worst service I've ever had. It's obvious they want to steer you to the buffet, because the waiter did not seem very happy when we ordered for table service. Further we waited a good 40-45 min for our lukewarm french toast and burnt bacon. Waiter never came back and checked on us.

I don't plan to come back here, and definitely not with my family. Other hotels are much nicer and don't have quite the "zoo" feel to them.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

This was one of my worst stays at a hotel ever. At least when you stay at a cheap hotel, you get what you pay for, but this was place was expensive as well. I knew we were in a for a bad time when we pulled up dropped off the bags and couldn't find a parking spot in the self parking area. There were few signs and the covered parking lot was dangerously dark and poorly laid out.

While the grounds are pretty, the inside of the hotel is quite run down. At first, I thought it was because of poor maintenance, but I quickly realized that the poor staff simply couldn't keep up with the hoards of drunk middle agers screaming "whoooo" throughout the place. The pool was frightening and trash strewn. I gave up when I swam halfway into the pool and encountered a floating lime. Many people were standing in the pool with open drinks that constantly splashed into the water.

After a great dinner at Roy's in town, which I recommend, we returned to find that our room was 2 floors above a loud night club which had music so loud that it shook the room. Also, the drunk pool party had moved to this location, and numerous people stood outside and shouted at each other. According to the front desk, the club was open until 1:30 AM, but the police normally had to come at 2:00 AM to clear it out.

Do not check into this location with children or if you plan on sleeping. The spa was fair.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2005

Hubby & I just returned from a 3 day 4 night stay. It was super hot (over 100 every day). But we love the ambience! Hubby really needed to just relax, so we did not do any night life this time.

Rooms were ONLY $85.00 per night with my triple A card, $99 without.
I asked for an upgrade since the resort had many empty rooms, and it was done immediately.

We had a room w/balcony overlooking a spring with white swans, black swans & ducks and an occasional koi fish.

we really enjoyed swimming at night, too. The sun heated up the pool all day and it was perfect swimming under the moon & stars at night. Hardly anyone else out.

The room & bathroom were nicely decorated & although the resort is 19 years old, I did appreciate having a tub completely seperate from a shower enclosure.

The lobbys in themselves are totally cool. water falls, lots of sitting areas to just veg out & read or people watch. Or you can check out their parrots.

we ate at the sea grille--ordered the surf & turf --hubby ate the lobster I had the filet mignon-both excellent. Only negative was they charge an exhorbitant $8.00 splitting charge. We are not cheap....just can't eat so much food. I thought that was a bit high. The meal was $41.00. Before the split charge.

** For some of the best down home Italian (not fancy but just like my Nanny used to make) was a literal hole in the wall in a nearby strip-mall called Marios. Mama Mia! We had penne with meat sauce & lasagna. It was delish & enough to feed 2 more people. Should have split here too! I think each meal was like 9.95. We had our food within 10 minutes of placing the order.

Bottom line....VERY Very nice place to go to relax...rooms are usually in the 200.00 range....next time I would prefer to go when it is in the 80's versus 100's...I don't do too well in the heat.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

The hotel is very nice, big and beautiful. However, this was our second year in a row to stay there with our kids and both years had the smoke alarm going off at 2:30 am. There were drunks in the pool all day, then they roamed the halls in the evening. We were told by a staff member this happens often on the weekends. We were with a large group with kids who come every summer. They said it is expected that an alarm will go off on Sat. night. I don't understand what would happen if a real fire alarm went off, I don't think anyone would pay attention.

We just wish security was tighter and prevented the loud parties, and most especially the smoke alarms. We are now 2 for 2 with smoke alarms going off on our stay.

Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2005

I took my 7 year old daughter on August 8 and returned on August 10. The property is capacious with massive manicured lawn; lake; and pools. There are waters falls and exotic birds throughout the lobby. The design is magnificent. It's a great place to take children.

My daughter is a steak lover, so we went to Ruth's Chris Steak House about two miles on our first night. On our second night, we went to Mikado located inside the hotel. Mikado has teppan yaki as well as sushi. My daughter had the filet mignon and shrimp, which is probably what I should have ordered as well. The ahi that I ordered was not fresh. We had room service the rest of the meals, which was fair.

I would definitely return to this hotel again.

Long Beach, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

This was the most awful experience we have ever encountered. The hotel has an odor of mold. Upon arriving in our room I pulled the blankets back only to find dirty sheets. It took 30 minutes for bell service to assist us but when we did get help the gentleman from Yugoslavia was pleasant. Don't bother dining at the Sea Grille. The young hostess is rude and unaccomodating. We showed up 15 mins before our reservation and she told us we were too early so we said we would wait in the bar. She said her bar was too full that we would have to go across to the Lakeview bar. We asked her to call us when our table was ready. When she called us it took us a few moments to close out our tab. When we got there she told us we would have to wait again. She was so rude I wanted to leave. I tried to order a steak medium rare and was advised it would be bloody so I agreed to order it medium. My steak came well done & burnt. When I was asked how my steak was I showed it to him and asked what he thought and he walked away. The only reason I left a tip was for the woman who served us bread and water. She was great and should be a food server instead. Starbucks opens at 5am but do not have newspapers. We couldn't get a newspaper from anyone and had to wait until the gift shop opened at 7am. Everyone who works there act as if they are put out if you approach them (except for a handful of people mostly in the lobby lounge). I went to the concierge two times and she did not even acknowledge me. She looked right past me. Never again. We would rather pay more for a quality stay and quality service. There was a mixed crowd, some travelers, others just trashy people coming to party.

Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

This was my first stay at this JW Marriot. The hotel is set on beautiful grounds. My experience with my room however is another story. I booked a package deal with a pool or lake view. I came in late evening and they put me in a room with a view of the parking lot. After a very long walk to my room I decided to wait and deal with it after a nights rest. My new room was even more disappointing. The shower in my room soaked the carpet in the entry way every time it was used. The control for the bath came off and was obviously being held on by masking tape. The TV in my room kept coming on and off until wee hours of the morning. Japanese music being played outdoors near Mikado played all night long and could be heard clearly from my room. The hotel has a no pet policy but someone clearly had a whining dog in a room near ours.

My biggest disappointment of all was the spa. Since the hotel highlights itself as a resort and spa I expected something great. As soon as I saw the cheesy shoji screen blocking the spa entry I had a bad feeling. The separate men and women facility offered little privacy. The men’s jacuzzi windows had lower blinds open allowing a view from the co-ed wet area. My massage was great but this room too had open blinds with an open view to the hotel walkways. I did check to see if you could see from the outside thinking that maybe it was privacy glass. I could see in. The facility also had used towels sitting on the only two sitting areas near the private men’s wet area and in the steam rooms. I spent about 45 minutes there and didn’t see them removed. Overall dirty and poorly maintained and more like a public gym wet facility.

While this hotel has a great golf course and beautiful grounds my preference for quality and a great spa would be the Hyatt Grand Champions.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!