“Very nice, splurge for view” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
carlsbad,ca
“Very nice, splurge for view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed at the JW Marriott in Desert Springs for a business event. It is a beautiful tennis and golf resort, with great views of the mountains. The food is excellent, and the service very friendly. Pay close attention to the room they assign you -- all views are not created equal here.

Room Tip: I was initially disappointed to be given a room that had a view of the roof of the convention center...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were in a large newly renovated room with a comfortable king size bed. Excellent maid service and a very friendly and helpful front desk. We only ate here once, having a light meal at the bar on the lagoon. We sampled an excellent array of tapas. There are an array of restaurant options on the property but we had already made arrangement with friends to dine elsewhere. The grounds are spectacular with a multitude of water fowl. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Kathy, who is the head of the department gives a facial like none other. The whole atmosphere at the spa is perfect in every way from the relaxation rooms to the pool and food and beverage service. A lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The grounds are beautiful and the staff is very attentive. But the rooms are tired and worn. The carpet has seen better days and some rooms actually smell musty. I know this because we tried several before finding one that was acceptable. We had requested a King, and that floor plan is very odd. After seeing 2 king rooms I should have just gone with the 2 doubles. When leaving the hotel, I did peak my head in a 2 double room and that seemed more acceptable. If going back , I will NOT request a king. Stay away from Room 8080 and Room 5006!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your stay at our property. We welcome any and all input, so we do appreciate your feedback on our rooms. I’m very pleased to hear you were impressed with the grounds and customer service. I am sorry you felt the rooms were tired and worn. I will definitely be looking into the rooms you identified as we did complete room renovations a few ago. Again, I appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Just got back from a 2 night stay at the JW Marriott Palm Desert. Overall, it was a beautiful resort - everything you would expect from Marriott. For background, I was staying in a suite overlooking the pool area.

The suite rooms are large. The suite I was in had a large main room with sofa, dining table, large balcony area. This room had a murphy bed (odd). The bathroom and closet area was small in this main room. This main room had the ability to connect to 2 other rooms. In my configuration, it connected to one room that was a standard king room. It had a large bathroom with tub and separate marbled shower (which really leaked - water all over the bathroom area). Toilet was located not separate - in with the shower. This room also had a small balcony with 2 chairs and a small table. The room was clean, but the bed was the least comfortable bed I have ever had at a Marriott. I really had a difficult time sleeping (very firm and the pillows were too big for me - designed for side sleepers, maybe). I didn't try the murphy bed to see if it was more comfortable (how could it be). If you only get the room with all the furniture and the weird Murphy bed, that would be disappointing - you may want to ask and make sure.

We had a day at the spa as well. The spa personnel were wonderful and created a lovely, relaxing environment.

Not sure how to rate this overall - it was a great venue for a conference, as overpriced as every resort is, had great pools and grounds (lots of great walking paths). You are not trapped outside alternate eating places - you can easily walk across the street to Morton's or other more affordable restaurants. But for me, I have a hard enough time sleeping, and I returned home very tired.

Room Tip: Beware rooms with only Murphy beds.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear you were impressed overall with the amenities and beauty of the resort. I am very sorry you felt tired when you returned home and did not sleep comfortably I will be sure to look into the bed and pillow situation you encountered to see how we can resolve. I look forward to your return visit in the near future.
La Jolla, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I really wanted to give five stars, because the beds are fabulous, rooms are super-clean, and the staff here who are good are absolutely fantastic, but those who were sub-par really made a difference, too... Supervisor, MARTHA HERRERA, and all the bellmen, the folks helping greet and guide you to business events, and everyone at the fantastic Rockwood Grill are excellent stand-outs [who made up for sub-standard, robotic reps who answer when you call the direct number and offer little help while almost audibly sneering through the phone, a pre-arranged room given to someone else and a subsequent room-change lest we hear air conditioning blowers from the roof below all night. We invited friends for drinks, too, received drinks that were not as we ordered them, and though we gave the server our AmEx card half an hour or more before we all left, our friend was able to sneak his card later to another server and he billed our friend for all our guests' drinks. We were abashed and chagrined, of course, but the bar manager backed up her server. (!!!) Those responsible sure need the Ritz training we received while there! (He who gives the card first gets the bill, Folks. That's restaurant/bar 101!)] So our stay was a mixed bag, BUT, overall, the superb, sincere service of most made up for the miserable service from a few, and our event was handled beautifully, without a glitch. Nice work, JW Marriott!

Room Tip: Enjoy gorgeous mountain views! (Stay away from rooftop air conditioner blowers and rooms near the lo...
moraga, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband stays over 150 nights at Marriot hotels throughout the year so although we head to Palm Springs every year to attend the horse show in Thermal, we never have stayed at this Marriott. I was traveling with my 17 year old daughter who was juggling a heavy work load at school and had many college admission applications and responses that she was trying to get done while she competed. We thought the hotel would have 24 hour business center, but the true business center is only open from 8-4. It was 9pm and my daughter was stressing that she needed to print her paper so she could do some final edits. We went to the front desk and asked where the closest Kinkos was located. We were lucky to meet Jeanny who completely understood what we needed and sympathized with us. I really was not looking forward to spending the next hour in a Kinkos, but we needed to print several documents and the hotel charged almost $1.75 per page to print at the self-serve business center which is locate in the lobby and very close to the bar so finding a quite place to edit was not possible. Jeanny gave us an email address and told us we could email the files there and she would print them and bring them to our room - can you say LIFESAVER? She was so sweet and accommodating.

The rest of the hotel is AWESOME too. We loved being able to grab a quick bite in the lobby bar and the sushi is something we looked forward to when we returned the following week. The beds are super comfy, the rooms are clean and well appointed and they have a Starbucks in the lobby!

Highly recommend. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks again Jeanny for going the extra mile! We did not see you when we came back the second week because we wanted to thank you in person. THANK YOU!

Room Tip: The rooms that are right off the atrium are a little loud at night because of the lobby bar and the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!