“Nice hotel but be prepared for more of a party atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Lakewood, CA
“Nice hotel but be prepared for more of a party atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Just returned from one night stay at Marriott (2nd night was at The Westin JW). It's newly remodeled so the lobby and rooms are up to date. The room (8th/top floor) was spacious, in fact, bigger than expected. They invested in a comfy bed, good linens, and provided plenty of goosedown pillows unlike cheaper hotels which give you those flat, unusable excuses for pillows. Only complaint was that the wall along the hallway was paper thin so we could hear people talking as they went by but it wasn't unbearable. This Marriott seems to be the bachelorette and bachelor party haven for the area. Even in the 108 degrees, the hotel was crowded including the bar area once pre-dinner cocktail time came and thru the rest of the evening. The pools during the day are packed and getting a chaise lounge can be challenging but the staff worked their tails off bringing more chairs out for guests. Good luck with scoring an umbrella tho. The larger pool was filled to the brim (I kid you not) with the young, singles crowd most of whom may not have stopped partying from the night before. The smaller pool offered some reprieve for families, kids, older folks, and those of us who didn't want to wade thru an ocean of drunkeness to simply cool off. A visit to the Spa was lovely. They claim it's one of the best in the area..it's nice and may be one of those but I've been to better, more indulgent spas. Overall, our stay was good and we'd go back again.

• Liked — Size of room and upgraded bed, linens, pillows
  • Disliked — Overly crowded altho not the hotel's fault.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

While I realize I got a great deal for a Tue-Fri stay, the hotel was disappointing. True, the grounds are very nice but a couple BIG negatives outweigh the nice bar, expansive lobby area, and pools. If you stay, make sure the kids pool is finished - it's currently under construction. There were so many small, not well supervised children in both open pools, relaxation was impossible. Also, the night club which is on one of the wings plays loud music until 1 and there are screaming drunk kids runnign through the hotel and outside the balconies of the property. Lastly, the $25+ (with taxes) resort fee which includes a lot of crap you don't need or use, but is standard. The WIFI which you pay for didn't even work. I'd need a serious deal to stay again once the kiddie pool was complete and a room guarantee away fromt he booming club. Otherwise, the hotel itself is good and service was fine, although not what I'd anticipate from a JW.

• Liked — Starbucks on property
  • Disliked — Club noise, no kiddie pool, high daily resort fee
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

This is an excellent hotel, stayed here with my family for a week in march (easter week) The hotel has everything you would ever need like a starbucks, hair salon, gym, spa, golfing and of course shopping.
The room was very spacious and had two queen beds, the bathroom has a seperate bath and shower.
My 7yr old daughter loved the pool area and would spend most of her day here. The food at the hotel is really good from the Oasis poolside bar and grille to the Lake View Restaurant.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and very relaxing to walk around.
I could not fault this hotel and the staff here were amazing.
I am so looking forward to going back here soon.

• Liked — Everything, especially the friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rancho Cucamonga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Just got back from my first stay at this hotel, and I must say, I was throughly disgusted from the room to the food. Arrived Saturday am at 11:00 and was greeted by a very friendly staff in Valet, as well as Sharon at the front desk. I had already been pre-checked in the night before because I was using my Marriot Rewards. So please don't be impressed that I got an early check in. Though it was my first time staying at this hotel, it wasnt my first time at the Hotel. Since I had been there last, they had refurshed the entire lobby, which by the way is amazingly gorgeous. First impressions are a must and when you first walk in, you immediately say "WOW". I got a room on the 8th floor and begged for a pool view. As soon as I got off the elevator, it smelled like urine and the walk to my room was at the very very end of the hall. As soon as I opened the door to my room, I was disappointed. The bathroom is nice with a big tub and a walk in shower. I must say the bed was very comfortable and I slept well.
The reason we were staying at this hotel, was because our friends invited us to join them for a day at the pool. I packed some snacks for my 5 year old and when I got to the pool, I was told to empty my bag and leave all the snacks there and I could pick them up later. I also had a small jug of juice for her, and I was told NO PLASTIC ITEMS, but it was okay that there was plastic cups and wrappers FLOATING in the pool??? The entire pool was covered in people, and by 2pm, the water looked so yellow and murkey from everyone peeing in the water. I sat there and watched several people drink and drink and NEVER ONCE got out of the water!! The food is overpriced at the pool and terrible! Our friends had complimentry breakfast, but we didnt, and it was $22.00 for the buffet, and it was worst than a cafeteria. The Potatoes tasted like dirt, so I am assuming the vegetables were not throughly washed. On Saturday evening I took a shower and it was iced cold, and when I called down to the front desk, I was told "Oh sorry, the boiler is not working right now, can you give us 45 minutes. I said "No I cant, because I already took my shower and have a dinner reservation in one hour" Well much to my surprise, she gave me a $100.00 credit for my trouble. SO, I've decided to stick to my Renaissance Esmeralda and Westin Mission Hills...those are still my favorite. I believe, if its not broken, dont fix it!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

I had always heard good things about this hotel so when I heard our company had booked our convention there, I was mildly interested. The resort is very large and has many shops and several nice restaurants but you have to take the time to explore and find out what's available on site. There is a Starbucks in the hotel, and a very large bar with lots of room for socializing and a sushi bar off to the side. You really don't need to leave the resort, though if you have a car, there's alot to do around and many places to eat, including the Agua Caliente Casino, about a 10 minute drive. There's a Morton's steakhouse within walking distance as well.

The rooms are nice, above average, but nothing ultra impressive. They have good beds and bedding and decent bathrooms, although the vanity area and the shower are not separated so getting ready might be a challenge if you're staying with someone shy. (I cannot comment on the pool area, as we never went, but it looked big, busy and fun.)

The additional daily "resort fee" is a little bit of a scam. I think it's twenty-ish bucks a day, which covers your wired internet access, parking fee, and turndown service, if they ever show up. I really don't understand why they charge for parking since Palm Desert is really not a "parking limited" kind of city but you do need a car if you want to do anything off site or explore the surrounding areas.

I might consider taking my family to this resort, however, it really is more appropriate for adults. There is a nightclub open weekends and lots of locals show up for the fun, so if you're offended by scantily clad men and women on the prowl, this might not be the scene for you.

For a more luxurious and serene "honeymoon" experience, maybe try the Esmerelda or the Grand Champions resorts or even The Lodge in Rancho Mirage. But if you've got a group of friends who want to hang out and have fun, this is a fun destination. It would be great for a girls' or guys' trip or maybe a family vacation for a family who's not very uptight.

• Liked — beautiful resort with everything under one roof (so to speak)
  • Disliked — service not really up to JW Marriott standards
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husand and I took a mini 4 day vacation in June expecting to find typical (tasteful decor and great service) Marriott quality/environment. This resort did not meet those expectations. Although the lobby area is nice, the rooms are average and other areas such as the pool feel old, run down and are dirty.

If you are in your 20's and looking for a party place...go for it. If you are not into heavy partying, I would not suggest the hotel for a weekend trip. It is like spring break all over again..wrist bands and security seaches to use the pool area...really crowded pool seating...and a lot of very drunk people by early afternoon.

• Liked — Poolside waitress provided great service
  • Disliked — Party atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Middletown, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

After reading many reviews on Trip Advisor, we were a little worried about our upcoming stay from July 4-July 7 (a holiday weekend). My family included my husband, myself and three teenage children. Check in was a hassle because we booked a promotion through Costco Travel that the front desk claimed they had never heard of. Fortunately my husband had all of the supporting documentation which we had to use in order for them to honor it. We were given "Upgraded rooms" which overlooked the roof of the nightclub and ultimately the pool. There were a lot of young people at the hotel, but there were quite a few families too. The pool was crowded on Saturday, and by 12:30 there were no chairs available. There were just a few unruly guests late at night which made noise but were quickly quieted either by friends or security. My daughter and I went to the Spa which was really nice. My husband and sons played tennis and found the woman running the tennis center to be friendly, helpful, and delivered beyond their expectations. We recently stayed at the JW Marriott in Scottsdale which was 5-star in every respect. We spent most of the weekend comparing the two. Unfortunately the Palm Desert location couldn't compete! Their attention to detail was very poor. I would definitely look at other resorts in the Palm Desert area before chosing the JW Marriott.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — The Clientele
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!