“short birthday trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
Temecula, California
“short birthday trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The resort is beautiful and the new management has made a huge difference in service and special care of the client
Rooms are large and i highly recommend the japanese resturant..the little boat ride at night is wonderful and romantic thanks for a great stay

Room Tip: request pool view

1,150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Costa Mesa, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This property has most of the features anyone could ask for. The lobby is very impressive as are the grounds and shops. There is an adequate number of restaurants with cuisine to please almost any ones tastes. I found the food excellent in all that I visited. The rooms are roomy and were very clean. The only thing that I found not up to par was the shower. I found the lighting only ok and it lacked proper ventilation for my tastes. The staff was both courteous and help full everyware.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wonderful boyfriend took me here for my birthday back in June as a surprise getaway weekend. He was very excited and had a lot of things planned for us that weekend.
When we got to the Hotel, I was very impressed with the location and the lobby! What a gorgeous lobby!
We got the keys to our room and on our way there, the bf kept insisting that I had to open the door...... so we get there and I did as he said, as I'm walking in I see a trail of rose petals on the ground which put a huge smile on my face.... we kept walking in following the petal trail which ended in a double bed room. One of the beds had a beautiful heart made out of petals and a rose with a note on it. But it was a DOUBLE BED! HUGE FIASCO! Seriously? the people working the Hotel didn't find that a little odd? All this romantic touches in a room were they won't even be able to share a bed?
My boyfriend was livid on the phone with the front desk. He had made reservations over a month before and they had told him he had a king bed and the concierge would take care of the romantic surprise. Then they told him they had no king bed rooms available and we basically had to stay there for 2 nights. That put my guy over the edge and he became not so nice anymore, all of a sudden, 5 minutes later, a King size bedroom appears out of thin air and finally they take us there. But the surprise was already ruined, and we were not happy about that.
Now onto the room and amenities.... the room was nice, overlooking the lagoon but so noisy!!! I guess we were over a night club or bar or something because we went to sleep every night to the nice bumping of electronic music.
The pool was great, we had a good time at the pool party.
The restaurants were delicious!
Nice place, but get it together JW! we were expecting so much more out of you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our property. I’m very pleased to hear you were impressed with so many of the resort’s amenities. I’m sorry your romantic surprise did not come off as planned. We certainly do all we can to accommodate special requests like this whenever possible, as customer service is one of the pillars of the JW Marriott brand. We hope you will come back and join us again sometime in the near future!
new joisy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The convention facilities were superb. The staff & catering were excellent. The rooms were spacious & comfortable. Our room had a terrace & overlooked the pool & golf course. The best amenities were the scenery, environment, & weather. The convention became a pleasure when we were able to take advantage of these natural amenities. We'll be going back for a vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chantilly, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had a work conference in San Diego and my husband flew out at the end so we could celebrate his birthday with a special getaway to the Palm Springs area. I had a lot of Marriott points so we used them to stay at the JW Marriott and we were both pleased with our decision. We upgraded to a "signature view" room on the 6th floor and had a beautiful view of the pool area and mountains. The room was very comfortable and clean with a nice, spacious balcony and large bathroom with a tub and a separate shower. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable and had lots of good quality pillows so we both slept great! One thing we both noticed is that the tv (LG) had very poor picture quality but we weren't there to watch tv so it wasn't too important.

Most of the hotel staff we encountered were polite and helpful with the exception of the concierge desk. We asked one woman there about a Jeep desert tour we were interested in and she handed us a brochure and the telephone and told us to call ourselves. ?!

One of the downsides was that the restaurants, bars and spa on property are overpriced for the quality of food and services offered. We visited the lobby bar, the Oasis Bar and Grill and Fisherman's Landing during our stay and the food and service were nothing special. We also went to the spa for a couples massage on our last day and paid over $400 with gratuity for just an average service. It was nice enough but I've had better massages at local day spas.

The other drawback was that we spent a good bit of time in Palm Springs (went to the aerial tram, out to dinner and to the casino) which is about 10 miles away from the resort so we spent a lot of time driving back and forth.

So I would recommend staying at this resort but go out to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Our room on the 6th floor was great and very quiet but a long walk from the elevator and lobby area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing a very comprehensive review regarding your stay at our property. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the amenities and that you were so pleased with your room accommodations. I’m sorry to hear you felt your dining and spa experiences did not exceed expectations. That is not typical for our resort and I will be looking into the specifics here. I hope you will come back again and give us the opportunity to provide you with the type of experience we are most often known for – one that is centered around service and luxury!
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed six nights. The resort is vast. Very impressive lobby on arrival with helpful staff. Beautiful exotic birds. Long walks to the rooms and not many elevators but I loved our room with its view of the pools and the mountains. Very good sized room with large bed, spacious bathroom, magnifying mirror in the bathroom plenty of towels, robes. Everything you would expect.
We were on the 5th floor so far enough away from the general noise of the Rockwood restaurant below, terrace and fire-pits. I would imagine on the lower floors they could cause some disturbance. I was at the farthest point possible from the Gym but then I can't really complain about extra exercise! Four pools, fresh water and salt, all with service and very helpful pool attendants. All the staff were friendly,helpful and well informed. We got engaged on this trip. Are seriously considering to return for our honeymoon!

Room Tip: Pay the extra to have a room overlooking the pools and mountain. Worth it and you don't end up o...
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Great location, facilities, rooms, golf course, restaurants. Fantastic service, with very helpful attitude. Ideal for events, for time out or for just relax with your couple.

Salads by the pool restaurant are really good, specially the tuna salad.

Everything is super clean and easy to find. If you can get a room in the 8th floor with views to thr pools and golf course, and San Jacinto mountains.

You will not regret staying in this resort.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!