“Cool Oasis” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
Coto de Caza, California
“Cool Oasis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

JW Marriott sits on a sprawling property with mature palms, gorgeous, manicured green golf course and surrounded by waterways with swans (which can be a bit aggressive). We've been visiting this JW for 15 years and they have done an excellent job with the lobby renovation and bar area (you step into a 5 story atrium styled lobby upon arrival) which provide views to the pools, greens and mountains. We visited the spa as well which offers the additional privacy of over 18 relaxation. Most of all though, which we have found across all of the JW resorts is the impeccable, friendly and knowledgeable service. From the valet to check-in, restaurants and bell services, they are always so genuinely gracious and helpful. We ate at all of the on site restaurants — excellent and interesting variety of menu items including sushi and organic farm to market produce. Rockwood Grill (hip and great menu) and lobby lounge sushi areas were our favorites.

The little water taxis that take guests from dock to dock are an added treat that remind you that you are on vacation. We stayed in a Presidential-style two-bedroom suite with balconies, three bathrooms overlooking the greens and the room(s) were perfect. Separate living room, dining area, work station and two full bedroom suites. Though there is plenty to do in and around Palm Springs, it's usually too hot to move, unless you do the tram which provides a cool, mountain-top escape. So stay in the pool, relax at the spa and enjoy the amenities.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view (backside) with a balcony and special rates, because it's the desert, hott...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to submit your review – we’re so glad you enjoyed your stay at the JW Marriott Desert Springs. You’ve touched on some of the top highlights of the resort, and we’re thrilled they were extraordinary for you, as well, and that your expectations have been exceeded in all the years you’ve been visiting our property. As a Senior Contributor with TripAdvisor, we know you are an avid traveler and have high standards in your hospitality experiences. We put a strong emphasis on customer relations and we’re glad to hear you felt it was exceptional. We look forward to your next return visit in the near future!

1,065 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

It's so delightful to spend a relaxing day at the pool or in the spa (no kids at the spa pool) and then go into the Vegas Strip for a show at night. They have a great gym and yoga classes, as well as the full spa experience.

Room Tip: We love staying in the spa tower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
huntington beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We just returned from our stay there and it was perfect! We decided to go Sun-Wed because wanted to avoid the bachelor/bachelorette crowds (we had our 6 year old daughter with us) but needed it to not be wild with kids (that was for my husbands sanity). It was the perfect mix of people.
The staff was amazing no matter where we were in the hotel and my daughter loved how our housekeeper always lined up her stuffed buddies on her bed everyday. The food was great everywhere we ate and the grounds were gorgeous.
The summer is hot but the price is definitely right since I don't know if we would pay the on-season rates (you're in the pool the whole time anyway). We will be going back for future summer vacations, for sure.

• Stayed August 2013
Lake Mary, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed here with my family around Easter, and found the resort to be awesome. All the staff was friendly and accommodating. Our room had a stunning view of the mountain range, prefaced by the golf course. The pool area is to die for, but get there early for the best chairs. The staff does a good job at the pool cycling vacant chairs to accommodate as many guests as possible. Overall, a wonderful resort!

Room Tip: Golf/mountain view is better than the city view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We arrived here from Four Seasons Las Vegas, so not sure if our expectations were too high. But we have always found JW Marriott's to be of a very high quality and as Gold Members we expected more. This place is tired and is in desperate need of a makeover! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! The staff are not very nice and certainly not helpful, from the front desk, to concierge to bell boys, everyone we came across had an attitude. The pools were like a scene out of Spring Break, with 35 year olds, the bars at the pool closed on a Friday night at 6pm, it is not a resort at all!

Couldn't wait to leave here to be honest, don't bother!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to review your visit to our resort. My sincere apologies for the impression that was left following your stay, and I’m sorry it prevented you from enjoying the type of premier experience we are typically known for and strive to provide. That was a particularly busy time at the resort, and I hope you will consider coming back during the season and giving us another opportunity to provide you with a true luxury experience that is centered around customer service! If you wish to speak with me personally about your stay, please call 760-862-1586.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this resort is perfect except for the restaurants and the boat ride.
The prices in the restaurants are very high compared to the food they give you. Also the free boat tour of the resort runs for 1 hour starting at 5 PM and there was only 1 boat running, so we did not get a chance to ride it. Overall it is a very nice resort/hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I’ll start by saying the grounds are really pretty with the lakes and golf course and palm trees everywhere. The lobby is also done very well. If you get a pool / golf course view you will love the view. I was here a year ago and at about 230am we were awoken to people parting in the room next door. I called the front desk but that didn’t help. On check out I told the front desk manager she said let us know next time you come back and we will make it up to you. Fast forward to this weekend. I called the front desk manager and told them I was coming back to try it again because I love the grounds here. She said she didn’t have any notes in the system about my prior problem. WTF? She said all she could do was upgrade my room to a view room. The next day I tried to reach the hotel manager to inform him about this and was only able to speak to his assistant. Told her the story she called me in the afternoon to say they could offer me a $50.00 hotel credit. I asked for at least an early check in and late checkout till 3 pm and she agreed. That’s all they were willing to do since the other manager didn’t do the job right and make notes on my reservation.

Ok got to the hotel room was ready and they did what I had asked which was a room high up at the end of the building on the other side from the stupid club there. I had a great view very happy until we went to sleep. The air-conditioner wasn’t working. When the thing reached the desired temp it shuts down and made a loud noise until it went back on, so we had to set it to freezing so it wouldn’t shut off. Called front desk in the am they gave me $100.00 back.

The bed was sooooo hard and uncomfortable neither of us slept well and woke up with back aches.

Employee’s we all very nice and helpful when we were there.

Got to tell you I like the hotel itself but I can’t stand that it’s full of 20 year old's partying. You should have seen the pool it was packed like a Vegas pool with them and the music was sooo loud you could hear it from the spa pool and couldn’t even hear the spa pools music. Had to go there cause there was no way we were going to the main pools like that. They should just close that club down to make it a more enjoyable hotel for everyone not just the young ones and BTW I’m only 41 but when we go away we want to chill and out relax. You can’t relax like that.

If you want a Vegas style party atmosphere you will love this place.

Probably will be my last time here unfortunately. Next time going back to La Qunita Resort much more peaceful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review your experience with us. I am disappointed to hear you encountered some issues that prevented you from enjoying the type of premier experience we are typically known for and strive to provide. Summer is a very busy time at the resort – particularly by the pool – and I hope you will consider coming back during the season and giving us another opportunity to provide you with a true luxury experience that is centered around customer service! If you wish to speak with me personally about your stay, please call 760-862-1586.

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!