“Beautiful Grounds BUT------” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful Grounds BUT------”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I’ll start by saying the grounds are really pretty with the lakes and golf course and palm trees everywhere. The lobby is also done very well. If you get a pool / golf course view you will love the view. I was here a year ago and at about 230am we were awoken to people parting in the room next door. I called the front desk but that didn’t help. On check out I told the front desk manager she said let us know next time you come back and we will make it up to you. Fast forward to this weekend. I called the front desk manager and told them I was coming back to try it again because I love the grounds here. She said she didn’t have any notes in the system about my prior problem. WTF? She said all she could do was upgrade my room to a view room. The next day I tried to reach the hotel manager to inform him about this and was only able to speak to his assistant. Told her the story she called me in the afternoon to say they could offer me a $50.00 hotel credit. I asked for at least an early check in and late checkout till 3 pm and she agreed. That’s all they were willing to do since the other manager didn’t do the job right and make notes on my reservation.

Ok got to the hotel room was ready and they did what I had asked which was a room high up at the end of the building on the other side from the stupid club there. I had a great view very happy until we went to sleep. The air-conditioner wasn’t working. When the thing reached the desired temp it shuts down and made a loud noise until it went back on, so we had to set it to freezing so it wouldn’t shut off. Called front desk in the am they gave me $100.00 back.

The bed was sooooo hard and uncomfortable neither of us slept well and woke up with back aches.

Employee’s we all very nice and helpful when we were there.

Got to tell you I like the hotel itself but I can’t stand that it’s full of 20 year old's partying. You should have seen the pool it was packed like a Vegas pool with them and the music was sooo loud you could hear it from the spa pool and couldn’t even hear the spa pools music. Had to go there cause there was no way we were going to the main pools like that. They should just close that club down to make it a more enjoyable hotel for everyone not just the young ones and BTW I’m only 41 but when we go away we want to chill and out relax. You can’t relax like that.

If you want a Vegas style party atmosphere you will love this place.

Probably will be my last time here unfortunately. Next time going back to La Qunita Resort much more peaceful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your experience with us. I am disappointed to hear you encountered some issues that prevented you from enjoying the type of premier experience we are typically known for and strive to provide. Summer is a very busy time at the resort – particularly by the pool – and I hope you will consider coming back during the season and giving us another opportunity to provide you with a true luxury experience that is centered around customer service! If you wish to speak with me personally about your stay, please call 760-862-1586.

1,149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

A group of us women (10 of us) stayed at this resort over the weekend for a mini-retreat. We wanted a resort that was close enough from OC and offers a lot of nice amenities, should some of us decide to use them. We could not have picked a nicer place for this purpose. The staff was very accomodating and very pleasant from the time we checked in to the time we left. For those of us who booked doubles, they even split our hotel folio AT CHECK IN! We did not leave the grounds the whole weekend, opting instead to stay by the pool and do nothing, it is an R&R after all. The pool area got very crowded on Saturday, but it was still a lot better than the pool scenes in Vegas. They have the "quieter pool" where we stayed. You can still hear the music from the main pool but all in all, it was good. And the attendants made sure that everyone was safe and cognizant of the rules. They had to tell another party to stop throwing a soccer ball around since the ball had been flying into other people. Our waiter, Sal, was very professional, checking every so often to make sure we are still okay. For dinner, we made reservations at the Rockwood Grill for 8:30 pm since that was the only time available. We showed up an hour early to get some drinks at the bar, but they were able to accomodate our party earlier. We all opted for the buffet and the choices were worth the price ($35/pp). Our waitress (sorry but I forgot her name) was also exceptional, even offering to split our check among 10 women! We gladly declined. But she was very attentive and we never had to ask for water! A major point when 10 women are all engrossed in the conversations going on. Overall, it was a very good choice for a getaway. We all decided that we should return for another getaway soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to review our resort. I am so glad to hear your party had such an excellent stay – and I’m particularly pleased you felt you received such outstanding customer service. We work hard to provide the type of experience you have described, and it is wonderful to hear when we have achieved that for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is my understanding that the JW Marriott brand represents one of the finest collections of Marriott hotels in the world. This resort is anything but that. Management is obviously catering to the 20 something crowd of rowdy and obnoxious people who want to get drunk and party like a rock star with complete disregard for anyone else around them. On the night we checked in, around 11PM there was a paramedic and a stretcher in the lobby. Apparently two guys got in a bar fight. We saw one guy holding a towel over his bloody face, and they were loading the other guy on the stretcher. As we continued walking, we couldn't help but notice several tables filled with 50-100 empty bud light cans of beer, empty bottles of alcohol everywhere, very trashy and definitely not classy for a Marriott. There were drunk people everywhere, some of which could barely walk. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to drink, but I also know my limits and know how to compose myself in public when drinking.

If you're expecting a good night sleep you better get a room in the far corners of the hotel at the very end of the hall because the beds are right against the same wall as the hallway, and the door is right next to your bed, and as the rowdy drunk people come back from their parties at 3 or 4 in the morning you WILL get woken up, unless you take an Ambien CR the night before. The insulation in the rooms is non existent. We could hear running water from the other rooms, and plenty of noise all around. Our room had a VERY musty smell to it that made me wonder if I was breathing mold the whole time.

The hotel states it was remodeled. I must say it was a very light remodel. Many fixtures were not changed out, the ceiling is still popcorn, and our room had a little bit of a gap between the bed and the headboard that was mounted on the wall. Not too classy. There was also a giant chip in the wood on the door of our room and other signs of visible wear, which could be expected given all the drunk partiers in this hotel.

On the plus side, our room was on the top floor overlooking the tall palms in the front of the property. It had a nice balcony, but it was too hot out to really enjoy it. The bathroom was pretty good sized with great water pressure and a separate shower from the tub. The only problem with the good water pressure was the water splashed all over the floor in the bathroom.

They had a couple small bottles of water next to the coffee maker which were free. I thought that was a nice touch given most hotels charge $4 bucks or more for a bottle of water. The grounds are BEAUTIFUL, and the lobby is very nice, but unfortunately it all just gets ruined with the drunken crowd that fills the hotel. There is a nice sized Starbucks in the lobby which is very handy.

We went to the pool during the way, and as many other reviewers say, it's completely packed with a bunch of loud drunk people who have no respect for anyone but themselves. Apparently this hotel SELLS DAY PASSES TO THE POOL for $20 per day, and that's probably why they attract the crowd that they do.

Parking is $17 bucks a night. Fortunately, we got a great deal on the room on one of those travel bidding sites. If I had paid $200-300 a night for this place I would have felt completely ripped off. So, I believe, in summary if you're a 20 something college kid looking to get drunk and party like a rock star, this could be the place for you. For everyone else who wants to have a nice relaxing vacation and some peace and quiet this is DEFINITELY not the place.

I did leave out one redeeming thing about the property. Every staff member we interacted with were friendly and very customer service oriented. That's very important in the hotel business.

Room Tip: All the way down at the end of the hall so you don't have too much traffic walking by your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share a very comprehensive review of your stay at our property. We strive to provide a premier experience for our guests, and any and all feedback helps us continue to work towards that goal. I’m happy to hear you appreciated the beauty of the resort and were able to enjoy some of its amenities; however, I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered that detracted from all the resort has to offer. We actually do not allow the public into our pools, but guests from the Marriott Villas adjacent to the property at times are allowed to use the pools based on a specific fee. I hope you will consider returning and giving us another opportunity to provide you with the type of experience we are typically known for – one that is centered around service and luxury!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was at this hotel for business for 3 days. This is a nice place with well kept grounds and a nice large bar and sushi bar located on lobby floor. The indoor/outdoor spring is neat. This is a larger resort compared to some I have stayed at, nothing like the massive Vegas resorts but larger than your average Marriott or Hilton. I wouldn't take my family to vacation here, nothing against the hotel I just didn't like Palm Desert, not much to do other then sit at the pool and dive in every 5 minutes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I went on a business trip and conference that was located at the palm springs

Lovely rooms - loved them
Food not great
Saturday by the pool - felt like and american 'spring break'
Air Conditioning - too cold
Water in reception - tasty
Staff - especially the girl that got me copies of all my bills on reception when i was checking out- She went the extra mile - brilliant service!!! - a credit to the company

Room Tip: Away from the club I guess - But I didnt even realise there was one there
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was a bit of a love/hate thing, but I think TripAdvisor saved us from having a sub-par stay over at the JW Marriott. As advised, we requested a room away from the club, which was quiet (minus some loud guests walking up and down the halls occassionally) and overlooked the golf course. The first thing that stuck out was the fact that all the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly. The only criticism I have is the fact that it does turn into a party type resort for some parts of the day, but with the 3 or 4 pools available, if that's not your scene, you can easily get away from the crowds. The tennis and spa experiences were also stellar with great facilities and staff. We got a great deal through otel.com which saved us about $100/night!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The property surrounding are beautiful. Lot of green and spring. The building itself is huge but dated. The room were nice and clean but you can easily listen to your room next door. The hotel service are excellent from in room dinning and bell service. The hotel offer quite a large range of shops and restaurants, it is amazing to have that in this area. The pool is excellent but I consider it small for this hotel size. There is a boat ride in the hotel that you can take your kids for some fun experience.

Although I think it is pricey hotel but not much to choice from if you want a hotel hat has everything.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!