“Not worthy of the JW label” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
San Diego, CA
“Not worthy of the JW label”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

It is my understanding that the JW Marriott brand represents one of the finest collections of Marriott hotels in the world. This resort is anything but that. Management is obviously catering to the 20 something crowd of rowdy and obnoxious people who want to get drunk and party like a rock star with complete disregard for anyone else around them. On the night we checked in, around 11PM there was a paramedic and a stretcher in the lobby. Apparently two guys got in a bar fight. We saw one guy holding a towel over his bloody face, and they were loading the other guy on the stretcher. As we continued walking, we couldn't help but notice several tables filled with 50-100 empty bud light cans of beer, empty bottles of alcohol everywhere, very trashy and definitely not classy for a Marriott. There were drunk people everywhere, some of which could barely walk. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to drink, but I also know my limits and know how to compose myself in public when drinking.

If you're expecting a good night sleep you better get a room in the far corners of the hotel at the very end of the hall because the beds are right against the same wall as the hallway, and the door is right next to your bed, and as the rowdy drunk people come back from their parties at 3 or 4 in the morning you WILL get woken up, unless you take an Ambien CR the night before. The insulation in the rooms is non existent. We could hear running water from the other rooms, and plenty of noise all around. Our room had a VERY musty smell to it that made me wonder if I was breathing mold the whole time.

The hotel states it was remodeled. I must say it was a very light remodel. Many fixtures were not changed out, the ceiling is still popcorn, and our room had a little bit of a gap between the bed and the headboard that was mounted on the wall. Not too classy. There was also a giant chip in the wood on the door of our room and other signs of visible wear, which could be expected given all the drunk partiers in this hotel.

On the plus side, our room was on the top floor overlooking the tall palms in the front of the property. It had a nice balcony, but it was too hot out to really enjoy it. The bathroom was pretty good sized with great water pressure and a separate shower from the tub. The only problem with the good water pressure was the water splashed all over the floor in the bathroom.

They had a couple small bottles of water next to the coffee maker which were free. I thought that was a nice touch given most hotels charge $4 bucks or more for a bottle of water. The grounds are BEAUTIFUL, and the lobby is very nice, but unfortunately it all just gets ruined with the drunken crowd that fills the hotel. There is a nice sized Starbucks in the lobby which is very handy.

We went to the pool during the way, and as many other reviewers say, it's completely packed with a bunch of loud drunk people who have no respect for anyone but themselves. Apparently this hotel SELLS DAY PASSES TO THE POOL for $20 per day, and that's probably why they attract the crowd that they do.

Parking is $17 bucks a night. Fortunately, we got a great deal on the room on one of those travel bidding sites. If I had paid $200-300 a night for this place I would have felt completely ripped off. So, I believe, in summary if you're a 20 something college kid looking to get drunk and party like a rock star, this could be the place for you. For everyone else who wants to have a nice relaxing vacation and some peace and quiet this is DEFINITELY not the place.

I did leave out one redeeming thing about the property. Every staff member we interacted with were friendly and very customer service oriented. That's very important in the hotel business.

Room Tip: All the way down at the end of the hall so you don't have too much traffic walking by your room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank djrobsd
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share a very comprehensive review of your stay at our property. We strive to provide a premier experience for our guests, and any and all feedback helps us continue to work towards that goal. I’m happy to hear you appreciated the beauty of the resort and were able to enjoy some of its amenities; however, I am sorry to hear about the issues you encountered that detracted from all the resort has to offer. We actually do not allow the public into our pools, but guests from the Marriott Villas adjacent to the property at times are allowed to use the pools based on a specific fee. I hope you will consider returning and giving us another opportunity to provide you with the type of experience we are typically known for – one that is centered around service and luxury!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was at this hotel for business for 3 days. This is a nice place with well kept grounds and a nice large bar and sushi bar located on lobby floor. The indoor/outdoor spring is neat. This is a larger resort compared to some I have stayed at, nothing like the massive Vegas resorts but larger than your average Marriott or Hilton. I wouldn't take my family to vacation here, nothing against the hotel I just didn't like Palm Desert, not much to do other then sit at the pool and dive in every 5 minutes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I went on a business trip and conference that was located at the palm springs

Lovely rooms - loved them
Food not great
Saturday by the pool - felt like and american 'spring break'
Air Conditioning - too cold
Water in reception - tasty
Staff - especially the girl that got me copies of all my bills on reception when i was checking out- She went the extra mile - brilliant service!!! - a credit to the company

Room Tip: Away from the club I guess - But I didnt even realise there was one there
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was a bit of a love/hate thing, but I think TripAdvisor saved us from having a sub-par stay over at the JW Marriott. As advised, we requested a room away from the club, which was quiet (minus some loud guests walking up and down the halls occassionally) and overlooked the golf course. The first thing that stuck out was the fact that all the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly. The only criticism I have is the fact that it does turn into a party type resort for some parts of the day, but with the 3 or 4 pools available, if that's not your scene, you can easily get away from the crowds. The tennis and spa experiences were also stellar with great facilities and staff. We got a great deal through otel.com which saved us about $100/night!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff N
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The property surrounding are beautiful. Lot of green and spring. The building itself is huge but dated. The room were nice and clean but you can easily listen to your room next door. The hotel service are excellent from in room dinning and bell service. The hotel offer quite a large range of shops and restaurants, it is amazing to have that in this area. The pool is excellent but I consider it small for this hotel size. There is a boat ride in the hotel that you can take your kids for some fun experience.

Although I think it is pricey hotel but not much to choice from if you want a hotel hat has everything.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

It is a pretty property with the palms and flowers along the drive to the front door and scattered throughout the property. Did not use the pool but it was clean and attractive enough and quite large with several pools. The common areas were attractive and open, which was somewhat noisy especially in the bar in the front lobby area of the hotel. They are other bars scattered throughout which enables better conversation. The rooms were clean but dated. The window where we were resided was quite small but we had a large balcony. The staff was well-trained and were always ready with a cheerful hello. The parking lot worked out well but can be a bit of a walk. I enjoyed the spa and it was an attractive environment. The work out area by the spa was decent sized for a hotel but could get crowded. Yoga was good though there were few people in attendance. The teacher had to leave early as she had another class elsewhere but I did like her instruction. There is a pharmacy across the road from the front entrance (about a quarter to a half mile away). I was there for a conference and the food through out was really quite good, if not excellent, for a large gathering. I would not hesitate to have a conference/meeting there given what we experienced during our conference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. Service is at the core of the JW Marriott brand and is an area where we continually strive to exceed expectations, so I am very pleased to hear you received friendly service during your stay. As a Senior Contributor with TripAdvisor, we know you are an avid traveler and have high standards in your hospitality experiences. I appreciate that you took time to detail many aspects of your stay. We forward to welcoming you back again in the future!
west point, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

it hadn't rained in like 6 weeks and when we get there, it rained!

rooms were fine, very well described by others. we got sushi at the bar. it was just ok. not bad. ok. got a special: 129 a night, but you do add in a fee for wi-fi and parking, etc.

pool was VERY dirty to me. lots of the corner areas had debris and dirt that could have easily been skimmed out if anyone bothered. there was an older man who was very nice and attentive, and many of the pool area workers did a great job cleaning up. many of the people here are younger and a bit obnoxious. they'd leave drink cups EVERYWHERE and the workers went around totally cleaning up after them... one of the waiters around the pool area was ridiculous. we asked for a drink menu, he went around talking to people and came back around 20 minutes later and forgot. finally got it later. watching him, it was like he wanted to be a guest. he'd sit down, start rapping (no lie), tell about his website and videos, etc. i was so pissed. gave him our order, and he continued his chatting and visiting. my husband went and got my drink at the bar himself. the guy comes over and is like, here, can you sign. later, my husband complained and we got our 2 drinks comped.

now: the highlight. we went to the spa to check it out. there was a board up of spa specials. got a 1 hour massage for 99.00. (zen). very good. couldn't decide between scrub or wrap (100 per 1/2 hour) so we did 1/2 hour ones of each for 65... can't beat those prices. very nice.

my husband and i did a spa trip at the RITZ in san juan and it was horrible. workers were lazy, place was dirty. here, everything in the locker and treatment rooms were spotless. credit to the workers in teal shirts. they did a great job. the showers had 5 heads. there was a hot room and steam room and whirlpool. happy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you taking time to offer such a detailed review of your stay with us. I am very happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience at the spa! I’m sorry to hear you did not receive outstanding service by the pool. Superior customer service is at the core of the JW Marriott brand, and is something we strive to provide at all times. I will most certainly share your concerns with my management team. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Riviera Palm Springs, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!