“The rooms need to have some serious quality checks” 1 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Diamond Bar, California
“The rooms need to have some serious quality checks”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My stay at JW Marriott Desert Spring this last Saturday (June 22nd, 2013) was on the list of my worst hotel experiences. My guest and I went through a total of 3 rooms. The first one on the 8th floor was not made up when we walked in: used plastic cup on the bed side table, toilet paper with stripped edge along with used towels and soap in the bathroom and the bed was obviously used, etc. After my long trip down to the lobby and back to the 8th floor room to get my luggages, my guest and I walked a very long way to the 2nd room located on the 4th floor only to find worse. The AC shroud coming off the wall showed an old room with inadequate maintenance for a JW Marriott. The very worst part was when I lifted the toilet seat lid to find a filthy toilet with dark water (and more) and a rim of filthy built-up. This time we grabbed our luggages and went straight down to the check-in area. I asked to speak to a manager but the same reception staff came out. She apologized and said they would give me some Marriott reward points which I have not yet seen on my account. She was only able to offer me 2 rooms to choose from and I picked the one that was closer to the lobby because I was too tired of walking around. The 3rd room had a non-functional TV and a leaking shower head. The lack of robes and luggage rack was later explained at check-out being normal for an accessible room. Wrapping up my miserable stay at this hotel was the staff almost walking in on me when I just got out of shower and wrapped in a towel. The staff was very apologetic and did knock on the door before opening it but I did not get a chance to respond yet. I did not want to blame the staff and cause the staff any trouble. All in all, I can not believe this is a JW Marriott! Extremely disappointed and much of my valuable vacation time wasted when I could be using the amenities I paid for instead.

Room Tip: Rooms near the center courtyard get more noises.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your recent experience at our resort, as we appreciate any and all feedback in order to learn about areas that require improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies that you had so many disappointments with your room accommodations. We work hard to provide a premier luxury resort experience, and what you encountered is atypical of what we strive to offer our guests. If you wish to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to call me at 760-862-1586. We hope to welcome you back and offer you the type of 5-star experience we are known for in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Orange County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have been here several times for bachelorette parties. It's like Vegas in palm desert. Nice resort, rooms are ok, pool is crazy crowded. Mikado is delicious. It's convenient for friends who are having a good time because the pool and club(Costas) are fun. I wouldn't take my kids unless it was winter or during the week.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went and stayed here on a business trip to attend one of the Conference. They have big conference halls to conduct keynotes sessions and several meeting rooms. The rooms were decent but not comparable to individual villas for the same price. But hotel rooms with balconies which are pool and golf facing rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Have not been here for approx 2-3 years and it has absolutely changed. Their rooms need updating to keep up with their reputation. Lacks any customer service. They use to be very guest oriented but that has all ceased. Need more staff on weekends by pool and to run gondolas at night. With so many choices these days this may not want to be your first one.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at our resort. I am truly sorry the experience did not favorably compare with previous stays at our property. We did recently update our rooms as part of a $25 million renovation, but I apologize if you felt the rooms were still dated despite their upgrades. Service is at the core of the JW Marriott brand and is an area where we continually strive to exceed expectations, so I’m disappointed that you felt service was lacking during your stay. If you wish to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to call me at 760-862-1586. We hope to welcome you back again and have the opportunity to show you a better experience in the near future!
Yorba Linda, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Although this property has been around for a long time it still sets a high standard. My 16 yer old daughter and three friends celebrated her sweet 16. They had a great time, love the pools and though the room was great. They enjoyed all of the amenities in the hotel and felt Rey safe.

My husband and I also enjoyed our room and love the very lively bar in the lobby. It was buzzing with activity. Made you feel like you were in a movie scene.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Hotel (probably through F & B manager) arranged a huge private afternoon party in the entire pool area during our vacation stay in March 2013. Without warning (at check in or the day before), the hotel closed the pool for that event, believing that posting a sign at the entrance was sufficient notice to hotel guests that the pool use they paid for in the rate and/or resort fee was being taken away from them. Note the direction to use the spa poo. We arrived at the spa but we weren't allowed to use because it was at capacity! No complaint to management was made. I figured if the hotel did not care enough to warn me about the pool closure ahead of time, it wouldn't care after getting a complaint. I'm sure upper management was happy, though, with the additional revenue from the party.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our resort. We appreciate any and all feedback, and we are very sorry to hear of your disappointments with the pool experience. I will most certainly review them with our team and discuss how we can better handle a situation like this in the future. Please feel free to contact me at 760-862-1586 if you wish to further discuss your stay. We hope to welcome you back again and have the opportunity to show you a better experience!
Orange County, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I recently stayed two nights at the resort for a work conference.

The resort itself it very large and covers a lot of area with multiple pools, golf, a lake area, spa, etc. The grounds are very pretty.

I had a standard room with a King bed. Initially I was assigned a room that basically looked at a wall. I asked to be changed and the front desk was nice enough to reassign me to a room that looked over the putting green. The view was definitely better, but was right over the main bar area. Be aware that if you have any issues with noise, you may not want one of the rooms that overlook the lobby atrium - there was definitely quite a bit of noise from the bar each night. It didn't bother me though I noticed it. Keep that in mind.

The room was nice enough and good sized. Mine had a king bed, a couch and coffee table, desk, credenza with TV (which rotated so you could see it from bed or couch). The room also had a balcony with two chairs and a table. There was a closet in the hall which included a safe and iron. The bath was also large with a separate tub and shower; single sink if it matters to you. The room also included a coffee/tea maker which I always appreciate. The only somewhat negative comment I have about the room is that I think it could benefit from updating or sprucing up. It seemed just a bit dated. Functionally no complaints, but just not as pretty as it could be.

Service was generally great. Everyone was very friendly.

I did have the opportunity to us the fitness center which was, again, quite large with many machines. I also was able to try the spa for a facial. The spa was big and I very much enjoyed my facial.

The conference facilities were pretty standard though I have to say the conference food was among the best I have had.

If you are planning a trip to the desert, definitely consider this resort. A very comfortable stay with a lot of amenities.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise at night, make sure NOT to get a room overlooking the central lobby at...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!