“The the resort, but...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Huntington Beach, California
“The the resort, but...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel many times and have always been very impressed with the staff and the entire resort. Unfortunately they've decided to promote the Vegas pool party atmosphere on the weekends. I have to say I was surprised. Typically it's been our experience that this is a family friendly hotel. I'm hoping they loose the loud music and party atmosphere at the pool. Otherwise, I can say that we love this hotel. The scenery is spectacular, the spa is awesome, and the staff is always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for 25 years. It has always been my favorite resort style hotel. Great pool, although the pool chairs are getting dated. Overall a spectacular resort that I will once again come to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Marriott is my "go to" hotel and this one has the look/feel and service you expect at a JW Marriott. Every staff person was extremely friendly and helpful. Room was clean as was the entire resort. Now for the cons. Like other reviewers have said, this is party central on the weekends. I arrived on Saturday and it was like going to Las Vegas. Nothing enjoyable at the pool if you want to relax. Filled with drunks in and out of the pool and very loud. No place I would want to take children. The entire resort is packed on the weekends - check in took about 30 minutes. After the weekend passed, the resort was much more enjoyable. Parking is inconvenient at best. If you stay during the week you will like this resort quite a bit. If you like to party, you will like this resort on the weekends.

Room Tip: resort is spread out like most JW Marriott s. Look at the resort map and decide what is important t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your review and for sharing all aspects of your stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your accommodations and you felt you receive friendly and helpful customer service. Summer is an extremely busy time for us, particularly at our main pool which is a major draw for our guests. We do have other pools on the property that are away from the more engaging area that we need to better communicate. I look forward to welcoming you back soon to share the poolside experience at one of our alternate pools!
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I'm a platinum member at Marriott and I can say with 100% certainty my last stay here was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. Paid in advance for a cabana only to have it given to a bunch of thugs before we got there, a full blown bar room riot broke out in the night club, rooms weren't made until 7pm at night and the staff was just tired of being there and extremely rude. Needless to say I'll be taking my 75/100 nights a year in a hotel to another brand. My dollar will speak for itself. This place is run by punks for punks.

• Stayed May 2013
We appreciate hearing all feedback on our property, so we thank you for taking time to submit your review. I deeply apologize that your experience was not at the level we strive to provide to our guests. As a Platinum Member of Marriott, you certainly know customer service is at the core of the JW Marriott brand. I sincerely encourage you to contact me at 760-862-1586 to further discuss your stay. We hope to welcome you back to present the type of exceptional experience we are most often known for!
SanDiego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel was a bit disappointing for a JW. The hotel grounds are lovely and our family enjoyed the many of the amenities. The boats were a big hit with our 8 and 9 year old boys, and the grounds were lovely. Unfortunately, we had several issues with the resort. Check-in was a breeze, and we were greeted by a very helpful gentleman who told us all about the resort, as it was our first visit. The parking was a pain. The parking structure had limited spaces, and getting to our room was a nightmare. I asked for help at the first door we came to and our questions were not well received by the staff. They were very annoyed by the fact that we stopped in--much unlike what I expect from a JW. Eventually we found our room on our own. The resort is quite large and it was a hassle for our friends traveling with young children. It was cramped and the patio was covered with insects. It seemed as though the door hadn't been opened for some time, and when we did open it, tiny white flies swarmed into the room. I called the front desk and was advised, "It is summer in the desert. There will be bugs." I found this response to be incredibly annoying. We stay in the Palm Desert area frequently, including summer visits, and this was by far worse than any other "summer insect" experience. We cleaned the patio on our own and enjoyed the warm summer air that evening. The next day, we were ready to hit the pool. The main pool is an absolute party scene that seems fun at first but later in the day, the entire top layer of the pool was greasy and beer-filled. It is standing room only in the water and chairs were virtually impossible to find out of the water. We moved to the family pool and found success there. The gentleman who helped us was fabulous and made up for the rest of the problems. The trip ended nicely, but the cons outweighed the pros. I really wanted this to be our new go-to desert resort, but I don't foresee us returning in the future. There too many other wonderful resorts in the immediate area to risk it with a second visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to share all aspects of your stay at our resort. We’re pleased that you did receive exceptional customer service in getting settled at the family pool, but I apologize that not all your customer service experiences were as favorable. Customer service is a top priority for the JW brand and a strong focus for us here at JW Marriott Desert Springs, so we certainly will review your concerns as a team. If you would like to further discuss your experience, please do not hesitate to contact me at 760-862-1586. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you a top-notch stay in the near future!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have never been this impressed with a hotel before. Everything about this hotel was perfect. Very clean inside and out. The most friendly people I have ever experienced, from the front desk, to the people in the restaurants, employees walking past you, anywhere you were on the property. The golf course was excellent. I would recommend this place to my pickiest friends.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The resort in general seemed a little bit sub-standard than I've come to expect from a JW Marriott. The pool area was not as clean as I would expect (tables & chairs dirty) and had cheap plastic chairs and tables. However the rest of the resort was nice. I agree with 841ann about the crowd, come Thursday afternoon/Friday there was a definate shift in the crowd at the pool. However that being said the staff was awesome! Always smiling and very helpful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!