“LOVED our stay!! Great atmosphere, amazing service, and everything you need to have fun on location.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the JW in Palm Springs Labor Day weekend of 2012. A few different friends of ours had highly recommended it to us when we decide to make the trip. We couldn't have been any happier with our stay. The resort was huge, GORGEOUS, super clean of course, and luxury all the way. Palm trees everywhere, beautiful flamingos all throughout the front of the resort, exotic birds in cages through out the lobby/lounge area, and they even have a super cute complimentary boat service that can take you to different parts of the resort (restaurants etc) because there's water flowing throughout. There's lots of on site shopping as well as a beautiful golf course (if you golf).

BEST Service:
The staff was impeccable, they were all extremely friendly and helpful from the valet, bell desk, front desk, servers/bus boys, and even the random staff you'd see walking around the resort.

Restaurants:
*We had their breakfast buffet every morning we were there because it was that good!! We still talk about how much we loved it! Anything you could want they had and it all was fresh and top quality. Best breakfast buffet I've ever had, hands down.
*We also had their seafood dinner buffet one night at the same restaurant that the breakfast buffer was at. This was also amazingly delicious! Lots of giant crab legs pre cracked for you, shrimp, you name it. They had plenty of non seafood choices as well and again everything was top quality and fine dining.
*They also had a Japanese tepan restaurant we went to for dinner one night. It was so fun, our chef was hilarious and made it fun for all who was there.
*They have a few bars too which we're always fun to stop at for a drink and socialize, and they had one that served late night eats as well, also delicious.
*Starbucks on site was also a big plus.

Pool:
The resort's pools are huge, beautiful, and of course super clean. It was labor day weekend so it was PACKED! Get there early if you want good location to lounge. We got there later and couldn't find chairs at the main area and didn't want to pay for a cabana for just the two of us so we found a spot by the smaller side pool. We only stayed by the pool for a couple hours because it was too hot at that time of year but if you're into the pool party scene it's a great place for just that. Definitely not a family pool scene but if I'm not mistaken I think they may have had a separate family pool area on the other side of the resort.

Location:
You really don't need to leave the resort because there is so much to do there. It's beautiful, plenty of shopping, lots of different restaurants to choose from as well. We did go off to a casino one night and I believe it was only a ten or fifteen minute drive but I honestly don't know what else is nearby because we stayed at the resort pretty much the whole time.

Rooms:
We just stayed in the regular king guest room and it was perfect. Super clean, nice decor, spacious, super comfortable bed, amazing bathroom, and all the amenities you'd need.

Overall I definitely have to say this was our favorite hotel/resort we've ever stayed at. Everything got a 10 in my book, nothing fell short of perfect here. It was fun, romantic, and had more than we could have expected. So worth the deal we got on the rate. Great job JW Marriott!!

• Stayed September 2012

1,150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

What a truly fantastic resort property. We were treated very well at all levels and when we had a slight room problem, Brandon the front desk manager, was VERY responsive and attentive. A fantastic place to stay and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get a room looking at the pool!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had to book a last minute room at the JW Marriott because another resort provider overbooked our reservation made three months earlier.

Resort is large and a place you want to be with various activities available to you. It is not a tranquil location or if you want to stay away from people. The facilities are modern and well decorated with all the amenities. Several pools, golf courses, fitness/recreation, and spa. Hotel has a Starbucks and 3 nice restaurants in house and other smaller bars, grill and sushi bars. Other post mentioned a night club, but we heard music from the lobby, but not in our rooms. Fantastic order menu breakfast or buffet breakfast at Rockwood Grill (reservation recommended) we had a slight wait.

The room we stayed in was average in size, but nicely decorated. Bathroom was a nice size with separate bath tub and walk in shower. Attention to details were nice from the cotton swabs in the restroom to the tea and coffee selection in there own box. Bed and pillow settings were comfortable. Flat screen TV provided with your typical channels. Modern phone, desk and chair environment. Internet, self-parking, mini-golf and various activities are part of a $27 resort fee tacked onto your bill.

What made our stay wonderful at this location was the staff. We had issues with the toilet the first night and the staff was expeditious and courteous. They didn't know what was wrong with the toilet and moved us to another room. We were here for a tennis tournament and the town was packed with sold-out hotels. The front desk was able to get us to another room within minutes. By this time it was late and we ordered room service. The server was polite and provided service that was thoughtful with attention to detail, making us feel taken care of. The food was better than average.

The morning walk to breakfast was nice with ponds, fountains, and local birds and ducks. Though there was a line for breakfast, the server apologized for the wait once we were seated and everything moving forward was great.

Again we had interactions with the cleaning crew, house keeping, maintenance to managers and all were courteous and made us feel we had their full attention and they were going to do their best for us. Why not a 5 star recommendation? We were staying on a busy weekend and a last minute booking and our room rate was $200 higher then their average rate. We thought that was a bit excessive, but had no choice under the circumstances.

Room Tip: Choose the room rate specials with breakfast. Well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here in 3/12 and loved it so much that we were really looking forward to a second stay. What a difference a year makes! We checked in at 2 pm and were given a room with nonfunctioning air conditioning. Also, it appeared that the sheets had not been changed from the previous guest (really!). We were asked to wait while another room was prepared for us. Since it was a beautiful day, we decided to spend the time by the pools, but were then told that the pools were unavailable due to a private event! Why spend $300+ a night for a resort when one cannot enjoy the resort amenities? It wasn't an isolated event, either - two days later while enjoying the spa we were told that all the outside tables were reserved for another private event. I wish I'd stayed a regular hotel - at least their pools are never "unavailable!!"

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here as part of a conference. The staff must be schooled in customer relations because every single one was exceptionally polite and cheery. Very nice. The resort is lovely, and the spa excellent. Go to the spa pool if the big one is crowded because it's quiet. We played golf on the palms course, and it's really beautiful. Very hilly, which is a nice challenge. The bar is a comfy, cheery place for an evening cocktail. A nice spot all around.

Room Tip: We were upgraded as we're Marriott platinum members, and the size of the room was great, but we...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay at the JW Marriott Desert Springs. You’ve touched on some of the top highlights of the resort, and we’re thrilled they were extraordinary for you, as well. We put a strong emphasis on customer relations and we’re glad to hear you felt it was exceptional. We look forward to your return visit in the near future!
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

A nice hotel, but really, really big, which has it's drawbacks. While it's been renovated, it still has many older attributes. As many other posters have commented, there is only one elevator for each wing, which means a very long walk each time you leave/go to your room. There's a Starbucks in the lobby, which is a plus.

There's a huge pool area with three pools and two hot tubs. But there are also a lot of guests (1,000 rooms?), so it gets really full on the weekends! It's not really a relaxing spot b/c of kids playing in the pools, music being pumped around, etc.

Hotel rooms are very spacious, but the walk-in shower was really small. I imagine it would be a tight squeeze for most men. Rooms have large balcony's, so try to get one that faces south or west to take advantage of the sun.

Note: there's also a $27/night resort fee for parking/wireless internet/fitness access.We enjoyed playing on the 18-hole putting course, which is also included.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the large balcony's by requesting/booking a room that faces south or west for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a nice hotel on a beautiful site, however it's a large resort and it feels like a Marriott not a JW. If I was JW Marriott, I would reconsider the designation.

This was not our best travel experience and frankly one that should be shared. We checked in after dinner. We were asked if we wanted a king or two queens. We choose the king room.

We had to walk to the other end of the hotel for our room. It was a long walk. My wife reminded me we would be in the gym early the next morning and to stop griping about the walk. She was correct.

It was 10 PM. We arrived in our room, it was a comfortable size with king bed, couch , desk and a nice bathroom in the typical Marriott decor. We up packed, prepared for bed and laid down. When we settled we heard this thumping and music. I called the front desk and was told we were over the night club - room 4210 for all who are interested.

What I did not appreciate was when the young lady in the phone told me that they were almost full and because I wanted a king bed, that was all they had and so that is what I got. She positioned it as thought it was my fault.

I responded with why do you not ask your customers if it will be ok to be over the loud night club. Given a choice between a king over the night club or a queen I would have chosen the Queen room. She asked if she could give me some bonus Marriott points and I said no. The she asked if I wanted to move. It was not a comforting call so I hung up.

Still upset, I called the manager on duty. We renegotiated the rate and I wanted the option to move if I could not sleep. He agreed in full. It took the night manager to resolve my issue.

Fortunately I was exhausted, fell asleep quickly and frankly only remember waking a couple of times as the music volume increased. Frankly I had a pretty good nights sleep.

We woke in the morning, had coffee at Starbucks, worked out in their very nice gym and left.

I prefer smaller hotels for short and business stays. Resort hotels are best to enjoy.

Oh by the way. They charge you a $27 resort fee per day which does not include valet parking. Again, had we not used the gym I would have felt coerced into a fee which didn't apply to my visit.

Room Tip: You are going to need a taxi to get to many rooms at this place. If you don't want to walk a mi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DesertSpringsJW, General Manager at Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. I’m sorry it took several efforts for you to get this issue resolved, as that is not the JW Marriott standard.

I hope that you will visit us again soon so that we can make sure that you have a GREAT experience.

If you have the time and would like to discuss your stay with us directly, please do not hesitate to contact us at 760-862-1586.

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!