“Beautiful Resort, Nice Restaurants, Kind of Far Away from Palm Springs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa

Save up to 20% thru 5/3!
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beautiful Resort, Nice Restaurants, Kind of Far Away from Palm Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here and the resort is beautiful with gorgeous mountain views surrounding it. The standard rooms were pretty normal in size and nothing particularly spectacular other than the view itself from the balcony.

The dining options were surprisingly good. The first night we had sushi in the bar as an appetizer and it was pretty amazing. We ate twice at the Rockwood Grill and that too was very good. We loved the fact that they use local farmers for their ingredients be it meat or produce. I will say this, the prices are more on the expensive side, but this is a resort and you tell me any resort that they prices are not higher than outside the property. The food quality was excellent and therefore in my opinion worth the dollars.

We had business to attend to in Palm Springs throughout our stay and that was a little cumbersome being out in Palm Desert. There did not seem to be too much around unless you find strip mall appealing. We tend to prefer the unique dining choices within Palm Springs and that was a little bit of a haul. It is probably why we ended up eating on the resort.

The design of the hotel is awkward. The resort itself is quite large so our room was way on one end of the property. It was a long walk to get to dining or to go to the parking garage. One tip: ask for a more centralized room closer to the main elevators.

There is a resort fee. Yes, I realize hotels and resorts have figured out that mandating this charge is one additional way to earn revenue. It does cover a lot of things including internet and parking. One tip: ask for a discount on the price. We only had to pay $18 per day. Parking by iteself was $15 a night. The normal price for the resort fee is substantially higher.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been reading some of the negative reviews of this hotel and have to wonder whether the reviews stayed at a different hotel. I found the staff to be very helpful. We stayed in room 8130 on the front side. It was very quiet at night. Yes the hotel is older but the amenities are nice. The furnishings are up to date. Everything worked fine. Because it was December, there weren't that many people around the pool but it was still very nice. The grounds are beautiful. I was there for a conference. Some of the conference rooms had very poor acoustics. The meals at the conference were ok, not great but that's pretty normal for conference food. Bottom line - no complaints.

Wädenswil, Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I spent 8 nights in the hotel for a seminar. Although the hotel has come into the years which you can see from the outside, the inside is renovated nicely. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. My room had a big terrace directly over the water, so I could feed the swan, ducks and geese in the morning while I had breakfast out there.I especially loved the big fridge, so I could store and keep my food fresh. I was buying fresh organic veggies, fruits and more at Ralph's, just across the street. I stayed in room #1023 which is on ground level. I had a great view on the artificial pond and the golf course. To get from the lobby to the room you first need to go to level four, then walk over to the wing with the low numbers and go down again with the elevator. This can become quite annoying if you stay there for holiday. When participating in a seminar the room has the benefit that you can go more or less direct from the room to the conference area. So the location of the room did not really bother me. The food that was offered during the seminar breaks was good but could be a little bit richer or at least more variety. Prices were moderate. All personell were extremely friendly and helpful and always tried to do their best.

SeaTac, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel. Upon check in my husband and i were offered a double sized bed when we had requested a king. Finally we were given the king.
We started day 1 by telling the front desk we had no hot water. We ended day 3 by telling them on 4 separate occasions our water was cool at best and still no hot water. Everyone acted like this was news to them (as if we had never made a career out of trying to get hot water). Very frustrating and disappointing.
The elevator called out the wrong floor at each stop causing people to get off at the wrong floor and have to re-call the elevator after realizing the error. This caused many delays and we were already battling being on time for events as we were in the furthest room from the lobby!!!

There were flies in our room and a cricket in our bed.

Our room attendant Anita was fabulous. However; she was unable to give us hot water.
We will not be back

Room Tip: Choose a room with hot water. Ask at front desk. Do not stay in room 7252!!!
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel is very big. They have almost 900 rooms plus the resort villas. Hotel is surrounded by a beautiful golf field, which seemed to be popular. I don't play golf, so cannot evaluate the field.
The garden and pool area is very beautiful. There is lots of birds in the area.
Staff - friendly, partly mechanical, following the concept. Mainly very nice. Restaurants ok, maybe a bit expensive. Dinner for two 110$, including main courses, one dessert & drinks. Breakfast ok, continental $18, Marriot breakfast 25$. Rooms vary a little, but are okay. Cleaning ok. View to mountains is spectacular. Yes. Would return.

Room Tip: Some rooms might be quite far from the front desk. You can also have either morning or evening sun t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Just finishing my 7 night stay here, sharing a room with a friend attending a large, popular conference. Especially by day, the resort was practically deserted since most guests were participating in the conference, so I felt like I had the place to myself.

We asked for a quiet room and were given a nice room overlooking a lagoon populated with black and white swans, ducks, and geese, all very amusing to watch throughout the day from the balcony. The room was in great condition, with a nice size bathroom with granite finishes. The housekeeping staff were extraordinary. No complaints whatsoever with the room.

The restaurants and the gift/sundries shop were pretty expensive. I enjoyed the Fisherman's Landing restaurant, but I think the Rockwood Grill needs to train their staff a little better in customer service. The good news, for those of you willing to drive across the street, there is a large and very well stocked grocery store where you can pick up a fresh salad bar and hot foods, which is what I did a lot here. They also have a well priced selection of wine and liquor.

In summary, I recommend this hotel for individuals or families looking for an upscale desert resort. The staff are all SO nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Recent three night stay covered room, golf and dinners all were excellent and above expectations. Since our last stay they have remodelled all facilities, rooms are excellent modern, comfortable and very well appointed.
Staff was great from front desk, golf shop and restaurants could not have been nicer.

Be sure to ask for a view room the desert mountains at night are amazing.

Stayed December 2012

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!