“Business trip in the desert” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$100 Nightly Credit
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Business trip in the desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I recently visited this hotel for a sales conference that I attended and was there for 4 nights. I normally do not like staying in large chain hotels as they normally lack personality but this hotel was pretty good. Excellent general areas and rooms were large enough and in decent shape and better than I read on previous reviews.

Staff were also helpful and attentive. Starbucks onsite also which was useful to get you through a few days of work. Overall a decent hotel and if reasonably priced, worth a stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

After a week at the Marriot Ko Olina resort in Hawaii I was thrilled that there was another similar resort in CA, but I was very mistaken. The service was okay but the moment my wife and I walked into the room a ROACH scurried away (which I have a pic of if you are interested in that sort of thing) and I had to find it and kill it especially if I was going to have any type of good weekend with my bud adverse wife. We called the front desk and they treated us like crap and sent a maintenance guy up to kill it. We weren't looking for a room upgrade just a different room and they weren't willing to provide that. This was a terrible and disgusting experience and we won't be staying there again. Also, my wife found another dead roach in the bathroom. Gross!!!!

Room Tip: stay at another hotel instead or try homeaway.com.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The staff at this place are great. Erin at the front desk that checked me in made my day. Also from the moment I drove in it seemed that all the staff are ready to meet your needs right away. They have a few different restaurants on property so if you dont want to drive you dont have to leave for food, and they are reasonably priced. I was lucky enough to play golf at their course as well, very well maintained. My wife and I decided it was best to just relax and use their spa as well. she got a massage. Their lobby has a bar and you can get some appetizers and snacks which are great. the only draw back was they do not have draft beer at the location at all. Also their rooms come with a baloncy which we loved sitting outside and looking at the montains. The room is well decorated, and the pillows made me not want to get up in the morning for check out. The only thing they need to improve on their rooms are but probably impossible because of design is the toilets are small and awkard, and the shower heads need to be replaced badly.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights due to my business trip. We encountered very friendly staff and great service throughout the facility. The facility was in very good shape for older property. T
We ate at the rock wood grill one night and really enjoyed it. I had a ribeye steak that was one of the better ones that I have eaten.
The choices for breakfast were $25 Buffett or $12-15 continental. I opted for the $3 oatmeal from Starbucks. The $7 beers and $11 house wines got to be a bit expensive. There is a supermarket across the street from the property. Hint, hint

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

3.5 star.

When I looked for a weekend escape, this hotel attracted me with it's lake and boat ride. THe resort entrance was very nice with tall palm trees and beautiful flowers. But the hotel looked old. After I checked-in and took a look of the lobby with its indoor boat docks (this was the stunning part), I thought I picked the right hotel.

We were given a bigger than usual room with a large sun deck facing the entrance with nice amenties. But the room and the building are old. The turn-down service came around 9:30 which is later than usual.

There were several big swim pools and Jacuzzi. Since we didn't play golf, the swim pool was the place to go because there wasn't anything else we could do.

We took boat ride in a very small lake (a pond?) at night. That added some thrill. The lake side fire pits in Rockwood Grill restaurant were very nice. We had dessert there. They were very good.

Because it was hot and the building was old, the AC was fully turned on and shook the floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the pool. The view is better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here recently (or should I say didn't stay here recently). Upon arrival, was amazed by the truly fabulous lobby. A really marvelous creation. The fun ended there. We then went up to our room, which you could tell me hadn't been updated since before the hotel was built! Our room was in dire need of renovation -- it was quite bleak and didn't even have sliding glass doors (in Palm Springs!!). When we went to the front desk (after trying to reach them by telephone for 20 minutes), we were told that all of the rooms were basically the same.

This was simply below my standards, and even though we had pre-paid for the room through Priceline, we checked out and looked for a different hotel. We were thrilled to be out of there. And as we were leaving our pre-paid room, the front desk clerk, who was perfectly pleasant, asked if we wanted to pay for the hotel resort fee with the credit card we had used upon check-in. We were there for approximately 1/2 hour and were leaving yet they still wanted to charge us a resort fee! We moved to a much more pleasant hotel nearby and it was worth eating the cost of this hotel not to stay there. Don't be fooled by the glamour of the lobby -- the rooms basically stink.

Room Tip: Select a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is an excellent hotel complex. One could stay on the grounds and have just about everything one needs to have an enjoyable experience. Great rooms, restaurants, night club,spa,excersize room, great pool area, shopping mall, 2 golf courses and of course great winter weather.

Room Tip: Nothing really - unless you would like to look down on the pool area.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!