“Phenominal Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Boulder, Colorado
“Phenominal Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Just back from four days at the resort and had a great stay. Our golf group goes each year and this is our fourth year in a row staying at the JW. Staff is great as is the facility. While parts of the hotel are aging a little, unless you're someone who's very worried over small imperfections, the facility is wonderful.
They've just renovated the pool area, which is nicer now than before. The common areas tend to be the nicest and most updated, while some of the rooms are aging just a little. I get the feeling that they're slowly renovating the whole hotel. Golf there is nice, but with so many amazing courses nearby, a "normal" resort course like these two have a hard time standing out. The sushi bar in the lobby is excellent. The Lakeshore dinner buffet was like an assisted living facility at night with people coming from the area to eat cheap crab legs and prime rib for 29 bucks. I'd avoid that next time and head down the street to Sherman's Deli, one of the best delis on earth.
Overall, great place to stay and play.

Room Tip: pay a little more and get a room overlooking the pool and mountains. parking lot view is not so hot...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Albany, New York, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed here for teh first time at a recent meeting. Although the staff was very friendly and helpful, the overall experience was disappointing. Some of the restaurants in the complex were closed. The rooms were quite noisy from both lobby noise and ongoing renovations (apparently 24 hours a day) with no attempt to move quests away from the renovation. The conference area was fine, but the overall expereince did not match the price.

Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We flew to Palm Springs in July to take advantage of a cheap fly/stay package. Plus, my partner and I both love to golf and we'd read good things about the golf course(s).

The check-in experience was terrific. Our package had somewhat limited choice of rooms, but the clerk gave us good advice on views that were available and that perhaps we wanted to stay on a higher floor because of the nightclub below the wing we'd chosen.

Prices were high, if you're foolish enough to eat and drink on premises (duh, right?) but the staff were always very pleasant and helpful. Room was clean, but leaving small tips for the housekeeping staff earned a towel shaped like a swan! SO worth it--it made me smile.

On weekends, the bachelor/bachelorette crowd descend and its bum tattoos for miles. Get your pool time in early morning if you're there over a weekend. The nice thing was the pool was open late, and it's beautiful to swim under the stars. It cooled at night, but not by a lot.

The golf course...was to die for. But keep in mind, I don't get out to full-size, high-end courses...well, at all. The driving range was all grass with balls piled in a pyramid. I felt like we were on the Tour. Which made me completely nervous and embarrassed the minute other people joined us to warm up.

Course was immaculate, course staff were SUPERB, carts were amazing. The heat was something else--tee off as early as possible if you care about playing well. Beverage cart wasn't too outrageous, but make sure you ask for your beverage in the bottle, as the bottle doesn't fill the iced cup and she didn't offer me both :(

Palm Springs was lovely, but then the desert appeals to me. Incredibly hot all day long. We did the tram (highly recommend--beautiful forest up top) and casinos (blech--depressing when you're an outdoors person) and would like to go back. Also, In 'n' Out Burger--niiiice!

Room Tip: There's a nightclub on one side (when you walk into the lobby, the wing to the right), and it ca...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We just spent five days playing golf in Palm Desert. The JW Marriott was a great place to stay. It is a large resort, full of people and life. Our king deluxe room was nicely appointed, the bed was comfortable and our views of the mountains and the golf course was spectacular.
My wife enjoyed the spa which she described as one of the best she has been to. The pool area is large and very comfortable to spend a day.
What amazed me I'd that for a large resort, it was extremely well organized, the service was spectacular, never had to wait for anything. The lobby is expansive with a suchl bar which is always full of people and fun to spend time after golf or after dinner.
I recommend this property.

Room Tip: The property is very large and is constantly going through renovation, so make sure you ask at check...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
LG, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The resort is beautiful from a distance. Upon closer look the place is just plain dirty. Glass, handrails and floors were usually smudged with hand and foot prints. We had a large spill stain in front of our elevator and it was still there when we departed. First night the bed had stains on the sheets and hair in our sink. Next day the new sheets had a large stain and on the fourth night again stained sheets. We were in a wing that they told us had just been finished being renovated the prior week after a year long project. It appears that the friendly staff lacks training and discipline. This must reflect those at the top. Not the usual experience we have had at a Marriott facility. We were credited 1 nights stay for all of this but it did little to enhance the overall stay.

Danville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

It's rare that I write a review while we're currently staying at a resort (in fact I don't think I ever have) but our service and comfort level at this property has been outstanding. We arrived yesterday afternoon (Jan. 22) and were immediately greeted and assisted by several friendly valet and parking attendants that welcome guests as they arrive. Fortunately, we arrived at the front desk when it wasn't busy, but our checkin, was the smoothest we have ever experienced when registering at a large resort. Same with bags arriving to our room...quick, excellent service and very welcoming. Prior to arrival I had spoken to a guest services representative requesting a quiet room located in one of the remodeld buildings.I'm a light sleeper and it's worth the effort to call ahead. Our room was very comfortable, a nice size space with a king-size bed and all the amenities of high end linen and a beautiful white duvet comforter. When we returned to our room after dinner, a turn down service (we didn't request) had been completed. Don't you love coming into your room and all the wet towels have been removed and your bed has been turned down. Nice touch!
By the way, I need to add that we had a drink at the bar in the afternoon yesterday. Several bartenders interacted with us, again making us feel very welcome. Additionally, we're not big drinkers - ice tea and an Arnold Palmer, so there wasn't a huge tip in the mix, but we were treated very, very well. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant this morning. Food - delicious, buffett looked amazing. My egg was prepared exactly as I had requested. How come restaurants just cannot get that right? My husband had the oatmeal buffett so I was able to sample the fruit and a few pastries he selected. Yum...I really had to use willpower. Another stop at the bar to watch the Patriots and Baltimore play this afternoon and we had the nicest female server. Very friendly. Everyone we've interacted with at this resort has been very accommodating and more then willing to ensure our experience is excellent. I'll followup with another review upon our return home. Thanks JW Marriott staff. You're all top notch.

Room Tip: Call ahead and let a guest service representative know what you like. To be honest, I know that does...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We had a great stay! We brought our daughter who is almost two. She loved the birds, boat ride, and grounds. My husband and I got massages at the spa. They were amazing! We enjoyed every minute!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Marriott's Shadow Ridge
Marriott's Shadow Ridge
#10 of 22 in Palm Desert
4.0 of 5 stars 839 reviews

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!