“Great property!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
Los Angeles, California
“Great property!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Beautiful property! We stayed at the Marriott Villas I and II over Labor Day weekend and really enjoyed our stay.

If you have a choice between Villas I (one) and Villas II (two), I'd recommend Villas II. It's a newer property and Jasmin court area is very nice. We couldn't book 2 rooms in Villas II, so 2 of us stayed in a 1-bedroom suite in a Jasmine court area of Villas II and the other 2 at a studio in Villas I. 1-bedroom suite was very nice with a great view of golf course, full kitchen, large bathroom and vanity area with a whirlpool tub and a nice dining area where we had breakfast every day. BBQ is available throughout the property, pool was large with tons of towels, nice restrooms, showers, steam room and a gym.

Villas ! studio was smaller, but seemed to be recently updated. WI-FI signal was very weak... our iPad only worked in one area, close to the front door; stronger signal would have been nice. The bathroom had a shower; vanity area outside the bathroom also had a whirlpool tub. Our suite also had a small balcony, which we never used since it was very hot during our stay.
When we booked this studio through the time share exchange website, we didn't realize that the room had two beds. When we got to the hotel and were told the room had 2 full-size beds, we tried to change to another room with a king bed, but were told that all studios in Villas I come with 2 beds. While that was clearly an inconvenience, it was partially our fault for not noticing what kind of room we got; and I have to admit that Marriott staff member did her best to help us out, but because this was a long weekend, no rooms were available through time share exchange service (interval). What was very strange about even attempting to make a change is that while the property is owned and operated by Marriott, they have no access to Interval room inventory and can not help their customers without getting Interval involved.

We also took advantage of Marriott Palm Desert Spa and had a lovely day relaxing by the pool. For $35/day, you get acces to all spa amenities for the entire day. The pool is nice and the views are amazing, you get iced water refilled every 20 or so minutes by very helpful attendants and you even get a water spray to keep yourself cool (it was 113F when we were there). If you book a service with the Spa, all of this is included and you don't have to pay extra $35. We had lunch there as well, and while choices were limited, food was good.

Great stay, we will be back... just maybe not when it's 113F:)

Room Tip: Stay at the Jasmine courts area of Villas II if you have a choice, newer property with great ameniti...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

1,150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have been reading some other reviews of this resort from the same.Labor Day weekend and I have to say that my stay was exceptionally good. We are in our mid-sixties and our son and daughter-in-law---mid-thirties. Yes, there were lots of parties during the weekend but the hotel security and outside police security did not allow anything to get out of hand.On Sat. eve. we even had drinks and ate at the bar.
First of all--we checked in on a Wed. Very quiet. Ms. Stanger was extremely courteous and efficient. (I like to point out exceptional staff). We are Platinum members so we supposedly received an upgraded room.The bed and bathroom were lovely. Rest of room needs refurbrishing, which is being done. However, BEFORE we arrived we chose the best package deal to suit our needs. I called the spa and made appts. and Ruth Hill was also extremely efficient and courteous.I also talked with Toni Ayira who was like a pre-concierge and helped us enormously. We became phone buddies.
Standouts were the breakfast buffet. Please--Hilton La Quinta--come here to see what yours should look like. This buffet does not scrimp. Fabulous, and the service too.
Wonderful spa and treatments. I had a facial with Ms. Cleary and she was just great. Not pushy at all with products. WE all had massages and the reports back were top notch. The spa pool is one reason I love coming to this resort. Yes, the noise from the big pool did carry over during the weekend but what the heck!
Thank you to Carol Ragognetti and Patty Maverick--two concierges who were extremely helpful. We went to Sullivan's Steakhouse on their recommendation and it was fantastic. I will write a separate review.
If you do your homeowrk prior to arriving and figure out what the resort has to offer you should be very happy here. The service of all of the employees that we came in contact with was impeccable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Ashland, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed here for a conference recently and this property is beautiful, with four pools open 6am to midnight. I was able to swim each morning (except the rare day it rained) before attending my all day conference events. The concierge was helpful in finding tasty restaurants, such as Roy's, to eat at with my colleagues and gave me helpful directions to outside events I attended. The hotel also has two restaurants, Lakeview and Mikado, which were good too. There was also former restaurants, Sea Grille and Tuscany's which are used for private parties. My firm hosted clients in one of these facilities while I was there and the service was excellent. The room was comfortable, and had plenty of space for me to get work done. The grounds were nice and had plenty of places to walk after my meetings were over for the day with spectacular views of the nearby San Jacinto mountains, palm trees, and a man made lake with a boat to shuttle you around the facility between 5-9pm weekdays. My only complaint is the WiFi access in the conference area was weak. From talking with the conference staff, it sounds like they are working to resolve this. In the meantime, just walking a little bit outside I was able to get access. Overall, a beautiful facility.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Been to the Phoenix, Tuscon, Orlando and a few other JW's. This is a mammoth place - one side filled w/ timeshares/condos the other side rooms. I'd say its average for a JW Resort and Spa - if you've stayed at one you'll know what to expect. Dramatic atrium w/ open bar, Starbucks off to one side, always some convention or conference going on, expensive drinks/room service. Several pools, just average. Not much going on in terms of "resort" unless you golf. Best used (IMO) as a place to stay while exploring Palm Desert and its surroundings. A few days sitting around the 'resort' and you'll likely find yourself bored, though the kids will always enjoy the pool.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I treated my daughter and a few of her friends to a night at the JW Marriott in Palm Desert this past weekend and received nothing but glowing reviews from her. Having read some of the recent negative reviews about the strict security, I made sure that my daughter was informed about not smoking (ANYTHING!), keeping the music down, etc. She loved the hotel so much she walked around the grounds for about an hour before even checking-in, just enjoying the scenery.
She and her friends spent most of their time out at the different pools, one of which they had all to themselves at one point. In the end, they didn't even go into town and just stayed at the hotel for the entire trip. No complaints at all, and she's already talking about going back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Montevideo, Uruguay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Below is the letter that I sent to Marriott's website, and to their GM's personal email that I was given (that subsequently was sent back for apparently not existing). On top of all of this, I just saw a charge at $250 for two nights of "Smoking Fee". These employees smelled marijuana in the halls near our multi-room suite, combed our place, never found anything , but somehow felt that it was necessary to charge us not only one night of $250 but two nights of $250 extra on top of a night that we weren't allowed to stay at the hotel. Horrible, simply horrible. How does a hotel act like this? Please read the below before you consider staying here:

"
Hello Mr. Ken Shorts,

I recently stayed at the JW Marriott located in Palm Springs. I am outraged at my customer experience.

First off let me say I frequently stay at Marriott. I am very well versed in the standards that Marriott upholds itself to and what is expected when staying in one of your hotels. For this reason I am baffled by my encounter at the JW Marriott.

My friends and I were treated not only disrespectfully but like trash this Labor Day Weekend while staying at your hotel. On our second night’s stay, around 3AM on 9/4/2011, we were visited by 4 of your staff to inform us that we are kicked out of the hotel. When we questioned why, we were told 7 complaints had been received – yet we had never been informed of any disruptions until this moment.

We tried to explain that we only arrived in the hotel about 45 minutes prior so this wasn’t possible, but instead we were treated like trash and tossed out. YES – TOSSED OUT – AFTER WE HAD PAID, AT 3AM IN THE MORNING, AFTER WE MENTIONED THAT MEMBERS OF THE GROUP HAD BEEN DRINKING AND SHOULD NOT DRIVE.

We had to walk to a Motel 6, whom you may want to visit and get some customer service tips from.

I have no issue if we were being disruptive and had to tone it down. I completely understand that. But what I don’t understand is what kind of training you put your staff through??? I work for a big company that is customer-centric and NEVER would I imagine my paying customers to be spoken to or to handled in the manner, which the JW Marriott handled me. One of your employees actually called me an “idiot”. Is this your idea of a mission statement?

I am disgusted and disappointed by your lack of respect and concern for your guests. Yes, remember I was a GUEST.

I demand a justification for this treatment. I hope your brand hasn’t sunk so low that hiring intelligent staff members has fallen off the list.
"

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

The rooms and sutes renovation looks great! The staff is always friendly and attentive. Room service is very good and quick. The Spa is to die for!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!