“A Memorable Short Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
new york
“A Memorable Short Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

I was very impressed with the layout and design of the Palm Desert Residence Inn - the views of the mountains were excellent. Every courtesy and request was honored by the cheerful staff members. I was assigned a suite on the lower level near the main office and the attractive pool/hot tub area because I let them know in advaqnce that I had a knee injury. My room and the entire property were immaculate. The buffet breakfast was well presented and having a complimentary Happy Hour was a nice touch ( the food at the Happy Hour was just average but they offered a nice selection of wines ) - the other guests seemed to enjoy it too. The complimentary Internet/ printing service was also popular. I personally enjoyed greeting the Canine Guests who had breakfast outside with their human traveling companions. This was my first visit to the California desert and I was not familar with the various towns. I drove to Palm Springs to check out their hotels, shops ( not as elegant as in Palm Desert's Passeo area ) and views - I found many of the chain hotels to be situated right on the main streets without any green landscaping and too close to the bare mountains with broken rocks. The mountains are not pretty up close - they are best viewed from a distance when they take on purple and pink hues as seen from this property. My random selection of the Marriott Residence Inn in Palm Desert was like winning the lottery.

• Liked — Attractive large room with kitchen and living room.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Although my two night stay at the RI was business related, I enjoyed my stay so much that I hope to return soon.

The grounds of the hotel were very clean. All lawn areas were well manicured, and everything appeared neat and tidy. On the night I arrived, there must have been a party or reception, as I encountered numerous people outside eating, drinking and engaged in conversation. I feared that I was in for a noisy night, but found my room in building 2 to be very quiet. Not only that, but by the time I left for work the next morning shortly after 8:00 there was not a plate, cup or napkin to be seen anywhere.

I found the staff members to be exceptional. The man at the desk when I checked in on 10/31/2007 was very courteous and friendly, made sure that I knew about the free nightly receptions and really went out of his way to be helpful. What really impressed me was the way he handled phone calls. Often during check in, I find myself waiting for the staff member to complete one or more telephone conversations of varying lengths. At the RI, however, when the staff member received a phone call he would listen briefly, state he was attending to a guest and asked the caller to call back shortly. This definitely made me feel that guests receive priority at the RI.

My room was on the second story of building 2 facing the golf course, and may have been the same room used by someone else who recently left a review of the property. I say this, because the door to my room did not seal properly -- as the other review stated -- and appeared to have been forced at some time, as there were cracks around the door frame. The deadbolt and safety hasp worked as they should, however, and I felt very secure.

The room was very nice, and would have been an ideal place to spend several days. Although the sleeping, living and kitchen areas are all really in the same room, the layout is such that you do feel as if you are staying in a small apartment. The full kitchen -- with tableware, pots, skillets, glasses, etc. -- was a very nice touch. The bed was simply outstanding. I have a bad back and am often dissatisfied with beds in hotels, but the bed at the RI was a joy.

My only negative about the RI has to do with the balcony. I could find no way to turn of the overhead light for the balcony. I slept with the curtains closed, so the light did not disturb my sleep. I would have been nice, however, to sit outside in the evening and not feel like you were in the spotlight. I do stress that this was a very minor issue, and, as my only negative comment about the RI, should not dissuade others from staying at this location. In other words, I recommend the RI at Palm Desert very highly.

• Liked — The overall high quality of my stay
  • Disliked — No real complaints.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
South OC, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

My wife and I needed some sunny downtime with the fall season in swing prior to the cooler OC CA temps looming... so we headed to Residence Inn Palm Desert. Our stay from the get-go exceeded our expectations! This particular RI is unlike the standard three-story RI formula (with first-story flats or second story flats or second/third story loft 2 bedroom units), not that anything is wrong with the standard formula. This property was more like quasi-luxury apartments with terra cotta paint and roofing to match the local desert architecture. RI PD is only a mile or so from I-10 and pretty convenient to all of the Coachella Valley, however with the exception of the adjacent Applebee's (we were NOT impressed!), nothing is within walking distance. Lots of parking, surrounded by a beautiful golf-course on two sides (ask for an upper unit with golf course view, you won't regret it), nice pool with lots of chairs. Check-in was friendly and fast, we were upgraded to a 2-person jacuzzi King Studio (600 sq ft +) and were quite delighted! The studio had a desk/chair as you walk in, full kitchen to the one side with a two-person dining table, a queen sofa sleeper and a chair, with a rotating TV to the bed area. A large covered balcony off of the living area overlooked the golf course, and the bedroom area had a nice closet and dressing area on the way in to the spacious bath with HUGE DEEP 2-person jacuzzi! Very nice touch! Included in the bath was a stand-up shower and two windows, one that opened with a view to the golf course. The breakfast was nice... scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage (not my fave), croissants, bagels, juices, soda machine, cereal, do-it-yourself waffles... basically everything most free-breakfast Marriott's include with the exception of the microwavable breakfast sandwiches (always love those!). Check out again was a breeze, absolutely loved this place and cannot wait to return!

• Liked — Unique For Residence Inn, Jacuzzi Tub, Golf Course View
  • Disliked — No Eateries (Except Applebee's.. Ewwww) Within Walking Distance
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

If you are ever traveling to Palm Desert this is the place to stay. The location is right off the freeway and close to everything but far enough away. The service was top notch. The front desk was friendly and accomemdating. The rooms were clean and extra large. They had free high speed internet in the room. They have a large pool and 3 or so spas. Very well landscaped. Free breakfast was great as well, a lot more food than I expected, eggs, sausague, muffins, cereal, oatmeal,toast, fruit, just about everything. I loved it there and would recomend it to everyone!!!!

• Liked — everything the staff
  • Disliked — all great
  • Stayed August 2007
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

I stayed here two nights ago on a "free night" certificate, having made my reservation through Marriott's central reservation phone number. I checked in at 2 pm (a tad early) and though the front desk person was very friendly he couldn't find my reservation. Thank goodness I had my certificate with me and had written the confirmation # on it. I was given a 2nd-story room in Building 2 overlooking the golf course and mountains. The room was clean and quite large, with a full kitchen (full-size fridge/freezer, 2-burner electric stove, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, table service for 4, real glasses, cooking utensils, pots & pans etc.) but the cabinets and counters are starting to show their age. There's also an eating bar with 2 stools, nice cloth placemats and napkins, a desk area with ethernet hookup (the desk clerk said they would be converting to wireless soon), a living area with a sofa, chair, and coffee table, and a slightly separated sleeping area. They provide a package of microwave popcorn and coffee makings in the napkin holder on the bar, and a little jar of fruit-flavored candies on the coffee table. There was a coat closet by the entry door and a full closet with mirrored sliding doors (and iron/ironing board) in the vanity area (the hairdryer was on the high shelf in the closet, seemed like an odd place for that). The bathroom was smallish but had a curved shower rod, always nice. An exterior balcony with a table and two chairs was off the living area facing the golf course...it was too hot and sunny in the afternoon to enjoy it, but was lovely in the morning. The bed was VERY comfy, with about 5 or 6 pillows of all different kinds (including feather) so you were sure to find one you liked. The TV was pretty archaic - that's not very important to me but it might be to someone else. The air conditioner worked well, but one of the registers blew right toward the bed so I had to raise the temperature before I settled down for the night, to avoid being fast-frozen.

My only real complaint about the room is that the entry door didn't have a good seal and the draperies didn't close all the way, so my room was flooded with light from the outdoor lighting, making it difficult to get to sleep. (I finally stuffed towels along the sides and bottom of the entry door and pulled the balcony door drape around the corner and anchored it with the TV.)

The manager's reception was generous (tuna-noodle casserole, chips and salsa, beer and wine) but the quality was pretty mediocre. The pool was clean but warmer than I thought it would be, not terribly "refreshing" on a hot day in the desert. The 2 jacuzzis were actually HOT - a wonderful rarity! There was a big rack of smallish towels available by the pool.

The breakfast buffet also offered more than I expected, but again, the quality was just OK. They had scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, sausage patties, croissants and hot oatmeal in chafing dishes, but the oatmeal was the only thing that was really hot. There was also a make-your-own waffle iron, two pass-through-type toasters for a variety of bagels and breads, fresh cantaloupe, and lots of muffins, cereals, yogurts, juices, coffee, cocoa, condiments, etc. They provided low-fat and fat-free milk, little cups of real half-and-half, and every type of artificial sweetener (including Splenda).

I didn't care for the featherweight styrofoam plates/coffee cups and plastic utensils/wine cups at the manager's reception and breakfast, though. I would have taken everything back to my room and used the real plates, silverware, glasses, coffee mugs and napkins, but they didn't provide trays.

The main issue I had with the hotel as a whole was trash management. The used towels that were laying around the pool area when it closed at 10 pm were still there at 10 am the next morning. There was a filthy Q-tip on the stairs up to my room that was there when I arrived and still there when I left. (Yuck - but I wasn't going to touch it!) At 4:30 pm there were huge bags of trash sitting right by the guest parking area. At the manager's reception the tables weren't cleared very often, and at breakfast, the big bowl next to the little half-and-half cups, where the cups, sugar packets and coffee stirrers could be disposed of, was overflowing.

Overall , though, it's a very nice place, especially considering the size of the room and the amenities available, and I would stay here again.

• Liked — Spacious room, good amenities
  • Disliked — Poor trash management/quality of meal service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Annapolis, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

Check-in was painless and efficient. Room, really a suite with kitchenette and small living area, was very nice. Opened up onto a little patio out back. There were some partiers near us, but they quieted down by midnight. Evening happy hour with heavy hors d'oeuvres, beer on tap, and wine, was almost ruined my appetite for dinner. If I could get a week off in the winter, I might try to come here and bring my wife.

Stayed April 2007
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2007

My wife and I and one friend stayed in a two bedroom suite during the first week in April. Our stay began well when the front desk person was nice enough to move our room from one facing the pool to one facing the golf course and mountains. The suite was clean and included a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, tv's in each bedroom and the common area (living room).

The grounds were clean and well kept. There was a small but adequate fitness room with 24 hour access, a decent size pool with plenty of lounge chairs, 2 tennis courts and a basketball court.

This hotel allows pets, which for some will be great and others a huge deterrent. It was fine with us even though we decided to leave our pooch with family. And there are plenty of areas to take your dog to do its thing, but for God's sake please clean up after your pet. :)

A nice buffet breakfast was included with several options ranging from eggs and waffles to fruit and cereal. It gets a little crazy in there with a lot of people getting their food in a pretty small area so I recommend going early.

Now, for the issues. First, the tv's in our suite were problematic. The first thing we noticed was that they don't have a DVD player in the room. Not a problem, except you can't even check them out from the front desk. The amenity listing included "videos", which I assumed at the very least we could rent or check out a DVD player for our room. We were told that some people bring their DVD player from home and then buy an adapter from Radio Shack to connect it to the TV. Oh well. So much for all the movies we brought.

They do offer pay per view, but for some reason it did not work in any of our 3 rooms. We had to make 3 calls before someone finally came to our room. And when they did they were not able to fix the problem. We were told he would return, but never did. After 2 or 3 more follow up calls we decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore, especially when we found out they charged $13 per movie, and some of the movies listed we had brought with us from our Netflix account.

A nice perk is the free high speed (though not wireless) internet access. Many hotels charge extra for this, but not this one. The problem? In our two bedroom suite there was only one access port and it was in one of the bedrooms. You would think that if they had an access port anywhere it would be in the common area but this was not the case. So if you are unlucky enough to claim the one bedroom without a port you will have to wait until your suite-mates make their room available. An odd and seemingly avoidable inconvenience. But hardly a show stopper.

The suite had air conditioning, but there was only one thermostat and it was in the common area. If you don't share the same temperature preference as your suite-mates your bedroom may either be too cold or too warm while you sleep. It would be nice if each room had it's own thermostat.

Overall, a nice place, but given the steep price ($300 night) I expected a little more. It was spring break so the prices I'm sure were inflated, and they certainly are competitive with other hotels in the area. Seems to be a great place for kids, but not having a DVD player in the room is a major drawback in my opinion. As a soon to be parent I would think this amenity would be a huge improvement. I'm sure the hotel makes good money off those pay per view movies, but having the DVD player would sure make it more appealing. I'd recommend it with the above caveats, but next time I think we'll look for a different place. If for no other reason than to see if our expectations were perhaps too high for a hotel of this caliber (and price).

• Liked — Free breakfast, internet access, allows pets
  • Disliked — No DVD player, internet access from only one room, poor service from engineering staff.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Palm Desert? Share your experiences!