Let me start by saying this, our family has been visiting this resort EVERY year since the late 1980's. We go with a huge group of about 25+ people every year. You can call it a family reunion, even though we see each other regularly, but focusing on the resort:
The Location: The resort is set in Palm Desert, CA and is about a quarter of a mile away from a part of the city that has a bunch of stores, dining places, etc. In the summer, Palm Desert reaches to about 105+ degrees fahrenheit and it is very humid, and it's EXTREMELY easy to get sunburned here, so wear sunscreen regularly.
What To Do: There are many things to do here at the resort. During the day and at night, the tennis courts are open, and the lights for the courts close at about 9 PM if I'm right (I don't remember, so check with the resort). There is a volleyball court in the grass field area in the center of the rooms and studio rooms. In the huge figure 8 pool in the center of the resort, there is a waterproof basketball hoop at one point of the pool. A volleyball or basketball are available upon request at the front desk, which is very quiet and cool inside. There's also a building in front of the figure 8 pool that has a cafe on top and a door on the bottom. The door on the bottom leads to men's and women's locker rooms, with saunas in each room, and a gym that you need a key for. The cafe on top is usually only open during the spring when Tennis tournaments are going on (usually April-May). Waiters would serve by the poolside and the resort would be very crowded.
*The Resort is VERY quiet in the summer, and is a place for relaxation with not too many guests.*
Amenities: The rooms at Shadow Mountain are very cheap, but well worth the money. There are studio rooms, 1 or 2 bedroom rooms, and villas, (villas being the biggest). It seems as if they give you more than you ask for, but I'm not complaining! The pools are very clean, and so are the rooms. Beds are high quality and there are TVs in every room. The sauna is free to use, but I don't know about the gym (ask the Resort). Also be careful with kids in the pools, especially the figure 8 pool. The deep end goes to about 12 feet in the big figure 8 pool, and about 8-10 feet in the other pools on the resort.
Places Near: The city is near the resort with about a 10-15 minute drive. There are many stores at the city area and it's always crowded. Stores are located close to the resort as well, as I mentioned before (ask for places of attraction from the front desk if you want), and there's a Boomers for kids with go-kart racing, mini golf, bumper boats, and an arcade about 20-25 minutes from the resort! We always go there for fun, and it's great at nighttime!
Overall: Shadow Mountain has been apart of our family traditions for a while, and we always go back. There have been many memories there, and the times we've had there are unexplainable. By the way, about three nights are the limit for me to stay at this resort. It gets boring for children 12+ years old after a while. Kids younger than that always find something to do, so go with a big group! Trust me, it'll be well worth it. Go to Shadow Mountain for a relaxing, fun, and enjoyable vacation! Have a great and safe trip!
- Also Known As:
- Shadow Mountain Resort And Club Hotel Palm Desert
- Shadow Mountain Resort And Club Hotel
- Shadow Mountain Hotel
- Shadow Mountain Resort Palm Desert
- Shadow Mountain Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Charming resort, breathtaking views, figure-eight swimming pool, home to Desert Tennis Academy lessons & clinics. Located in the heart of Palm Desert, CA the Resort is walking distance to the shops, restaurants and art galleries along the famed El Paseo. Guests have access to cafe & bar, complimentary tennis on 16 tennis courts, tennis pro-shop, pools, jacuzzis, fitness room, massage services, saunas, poolside patio BBQ, volleyball, basketball, bicycle rentals, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Shadow Mountain Resort and Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.