“Vacation Candy - GREAT!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Vacation Candy - GREAT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We booked the Desert Springs Villas through Vacation Candy and had a great experience. The villas and the amenities were wonderful. The customer service with Vacation Candy was great! I would definitely use them again for booking our accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level unit close to a pool. All units face the golf course, so the view will be go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Wife and I have our annual 2 weeks vacation and we come regularly to the BNP Tennis Tourney each year. This year we decided to try the Marriott's Time Share Desert Springs Villas I. We were so interested in the value we considered purchasing time here; even did an Excel Spreadsheet to see what payback would be for ownership over 20 years.

To our horror they booked us in Building G, which was utter garbage and uncharacteristic of the brand name. Lets just say to find your 1.5 year old daughter playing with a half dead cockroach at the beginning of the stay just about RUINED our whole time. I tossed it out and tried to make the best of it. Fast forward 3 days later and many roaches that were caught in glass jars, killed and flushed down the toilet and a wife that insisted we leave the property immediately because she thought they were in our bed (but were not). It was not a good start to our vacation.

Not to mention this bug problem, there were other problems with the room. Very outdated conditions and DIRTY and the worse part of it all there was no cleaning supplies, no vacuum, and the carpeted floors were so dirty I swore up and down my daughter had been running in the street as her feet were black from dirt. Overall I know Motel 5s that have better up-kept appearances and cleanliness. The place was so unsatisfactory that I will NEVER COME BACK AGAIN.

I made Marriott change our rooms and they put us in an "updated/remodeled" version. The room was much nicer than the first and no bugs but in my opinion still sub par. The worse part is the Manager tried to make things right after I told her nothing could be done at this point by offering a $50 food voucher for my family. Are you kidding me, what a joke! Her business acumen was as little as the cockroaches!!! I told her I was insulted by her gesture and showed her all the various pictures on my phone of all the little critters. My time per hour is worth 10 times as much and just to move villas took nearly 3 hours from start to finish. Lets just say I was appalled at Marriott's efforts and will not be coming back. I no longer will be a gold member with this Brand because of how this whole thing was handled.

Thankfully this was the only major hurdle in our vacation but beware of the bugs as even the new villa had one of which I flushed down the sink. Furthermore, the new Villa floor was as dirty as the first. Carpet hides a lot buyer BEWARE!

Room Tip: Make sure to get into the renovated section and above all stay away from the first floor Villas!
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The time spent at this resort was great. We loved the resort and the one bedroom condo that we had suited our family perfectly. The grounds were beautiful and the pools we very much enjoyed during the bout of unseasonably hot weather that we had. We found the bed comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. Our kids enjoyed the kids clubs, although there weren't too many families around when we were there. We rented bikes from the resort one day and they had sizes right for everybody. Staff at "The Shade" were very nice.

We also went over and used the adjoining Marriott pool which was also very nice. It was nice to have the option of using that property (although not on weekends, I understand).

We are not golfers but we enjoyed watching others try as we sipped coffee or drinks on our deck. The course looked beautiful.

Our only complaint would be the wifi - OMG it was so flaky which was quite frustrating. It would drop out all the time. Not quite sure what could be done about that but it was very annoying.

There is a Ralph's grocery store and a drug store just a very short distance away which was good to buy groceries and the like.

Our family enjoyed the Tram, the Living Desert, Joshua Tree National Park, the VillageFest (Thursday evenings), and the Children's Museum while we were there. All were within easy driving of the Resort. You can high tail it on the I-10 (fast drivers!!) or drive through town, which was much slower with a lot of traffic lights.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited in March and are a couple in our 60s looking for relaxation and pools to swim in. Our one bedroom suite was lovely with an outlook on a well-maintained golf course. As we explored the property, we looked for pools for our use. The larger ones had a shape that made lap-swimming impractical plus they were full of children. So, we looked for samller ones. We were delighted to find a pool about a block from our villa labeled, "Quiet, shhh". This was the next best thing to finding a lap pool or better, one labeled adults only. Frankly, some adults in resorts can be obnoxious, so Quiet covered it all.. Each day, we used this pool for several hours. We shared the pool with two mallard ducks resident in the area and roughly 1 to 4 other couples all of whom were quiet, apart from one person who decided to share a mobile phone call with us all.

On our last day, two women arrived with 3 small children and a tub of water toys and large drink containers. As they were settling in, I went over to remind them that this was a Quiet Pool and, in my vernacular, that meant no kids. After all, there were at least five other pools that were clearly kid-friendly. Why this one? I was told that their kids were good and that had been there the evening before. In fact, they were very nice children but could not be quiet. Splashing and unmodulated childish voices are not "quiet" (nor should they be). One of the women ran off to find a manager. She came back and announced that kids were allowed in this pool area. She then brought the manager in and pointed me out as the complaining party. The manager told me in a loud voice so all could hear that, while the women were voluntarily leaving with their children, kids were welcome in the Quiet Pool. I felt as if I was being dressed down by this twit. Instead of respecting my desire for quiet, I was made into the kid-hating bad guy. I responded, "Give me a break. Kids in pools cannot and should not be quiet." I added, that we had been their every day and the adults at this pool did not engage in hearable conversations or otherwise make noise and that the kids in the pool spoiled my sense of solace and that I did not appreciate either the children, their rude parents, or his obnoxious response.

Frankly, neither my wife nor I appreciated being treated with such disrespect by this person. Regardless of management policy, the proper response would have been to have invited the women to take their kids to a kid-friendly pool and to explain quietly to me the hotel policy. Policy notwithstanding, don't say "Quiet" when that is not what is meant.

What was a very pleasant stay was marred on our last day to the point where I do not want to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and are very pleased. We are in villas 1 which are newly renovated . Unit is very nice and roomy. Like the layout better than villas 2 and you get use of the health club at the JW resort. This hotel is in the heart of palm desert which is the nicer area in Palm Springs .

Room Tip: I would ask for an end unit second floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

More hotel room than villa. Layout was odd, nice to have a fridge and a small sink. Cups and spoons were the opposite side from the fridge. Coffee Maker never worked. Room had a jacuzzi but would be overlooked and seemed soulless. The whole room was just missing any thought of how to lay it out. Overall clean and my conference which was in the main Hotel was a 5 minute walk away. For the price I would have expected more facilities- small pool close by but everything else was centered around golf or tennis. Old clientele- if your 50 you feel young. Would stay at the main hotel if your just using a regular room as you have the restaurants, large pools, health club all at your doorstep. Again this review is just for the 'small rooms' which do not overlook the golf course. Still have to say this was much better than the Embassy Suites Palm Desert which we left after just one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are Marriott platinum members, and have stayed at a number of the Marriott Vacation Clubs. This was the single worst Marriott property I have ever been to. The landscaping and pools are very pretty. Our room was absolutely AWFUL. Based on some of the other reviewers who said their rooms had been recently remodeled, I think that perhaps since we were staying using points we were put in the worst villa in the complex. It had obviously not been refurbished in many years. See attached pictures! The bathrooms were filthy and moldy, there were cigarette burns on the drapes, the furnace didn't work (and it was cold when were there), the door lock was broken, the lamp in the shower was broken, housekeeping left the bed runner balled up on the couch, AND left my patio door open and unlocked one night. They informed us that they would only give us clean kitchen towels once every 13 days, unless we wanted to pay an extra $96/day. When asking for help, the staff was rude and unhelpful.

It was the biggest waste of preciously saved points one could possibly imagine. Ruined our whole vacation. In retrospect, I wish we would have left and gone to stay at the Residence Inn down the road, it probably would have been better.

I loved Palm Desert. But I will stay at Hilton next time!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas. There is no excuse for the poor housekeeping service and quality of your villa. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I? Share your experiences!