“We loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 hotels in Palm Desert
Kelowna, Canada
“We loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The time spent at this resort was great. We loved the resort and the one bedroom condo that we had suited our family perfectly. The grounds were beautiful and the pools we very much enjoyed during the bout of unseasonably hot weather that we had. We found the bed comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. Our kids enjoyed the kids clubs, although there weren't too many families around when we were there. We rented bikes from the resort one day and they had sizes right for everybody. Staff at "The Shade" were very nice.

We also went over and used the adjoining Marriott pool which was also very nice. It was nice to have the option of using that property (although not on weekends, I understand).

We are not golfers but we enjoyed watching others try as we sipped coffee or drinks on our deck. The course looked beautiful.

Our only complaint would be the wifi - OMG it was so flaky which was quite frustrating. It would drop out all the time. Not quite sure what could be done about that but it was very annoying.

There is a Ralph's grocery store and a drug store just a very short distance away which was good to buy groceries and the like.

Our family enjoyed the Tram, the Living Desert, Joshua Tree National Park, the VillageFest (Thursday evenings), and the Children's Museum while we were there. All were within easy driving of the Resort. You can high tail it on the I-10 (fast drivers!!) or drive through town, which was much slower with a lot of traffic lights.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We visited in March and are a couple in our 60s looking for relaxation and pools to swim in. Our one bedroom suite was lovely with an outlook on a well-maintained golf course. As we explored the property, we looked for pools for our use. The larger ones had a shape that made lap-swimming impractical plus they were full of children. So, we looked for samller ones. We were delighted to find a pool about a block from our villa labeled, "Quiet, shhh". This was the next best thing to finding a lap pool or better, one labeled adults only. Frankly, some adults in resorts can be obnoxious, so Quiet covered it all.. Each day, we used this pool for several hours. We shared the pool with two mallard ducks resident in the area and roughly 1 to 4 other couples all of whom were quiet, apart from one person who decided to share a mobile phone call with us all.

On our last day, two women arrived with 3 small children and a tub of water toys and large drink containers. As they were settling in, I went over to remind them that this was a Quiet Pool and, in my vernacular, that meant no kids. After all, there were at least five other pools that were clearly kid-friendly. Why this one? I was told that their kids were good and that had been there the evening before. In fact, they were very nice children but could not be quiet. Splashing and unmodulated childish voices are not "quiet" (nor should they be). One of the women ran off to find a manager. She came back and announced that kids were allowed in this pool area. She then brought the manager in and pointed me out as the complaining party. The manager told me in a loud voice so all could hear that, while the women were voluntarily leaving with their children, kids were welcome in the Quiet Pool. I felt as if I was being dressed down by this twit. Instead of respecting my desire for quiet, I was made into the kid-hating bad guy. I responded, "Give me a break. Kids in pools cannot and should not be quiet." I added, that we had been their every day and the adults at this pool did not engage in hearable conversations or otherwise make noise and that the kids in the pool spoiled my sense of solace and that I did not appreciate either the children, their rude parents, or his obnoxious response.

Frankly, neither my wife nor I appreciated being treated with such disrespect by this person. Regardless of management policy, the proper response would have been to have invited the women to take their kids to a kid-friendly pool and to explain quietly to me the hotel policy. Policy notwithstanding, don't say "Quiet" when that is not what is meant.

What was a very pleasant stay was marred on our last day to the point where I do not want to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here and are very pleased. We are in villas 1 which are newly renovated . Unit is very nice and roomy. Like the layout better than villas 2 and you get use of the health club at the JW resort. This hotel is in the heart of palm desert which is the nicer area in Palm Springs .

Room Tip: I would ask for an end unit second floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

More hotel room than villa. Layout was odd, nice to have a fridge and a small sink. Cups and spoons were the opposite side from the fridge. Coffee Maker never worked. Room had a jacuzzi but would be overlooked and seemed soulless. The whole room was just missing any thought of how to lay it out. Overall clean and my conference which was in the main Hotel was a 5 minute walk away. For the price I would have expected more facilities- small pool close by but everything else was centered around golf or tennis. Old clientele- if your 50 you feel young. Would stay at the main hotel if your just using a regular room as you have the restaurants, large pools, health club all at your doorstep. Again this review is just for the 'small rooms' which do not overlook the golf course. Still have to say this was much better than the Embassy Suites Palm Desert which we left after just one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are Marriott platinum members, and have stayed at a number of the Marriott Vacation Clubs. This was the single worst Marriott property I have ever been to. The landscaping and pools are very pretty. Our room was absolutely AWFUL. Based on some of the other reviewers who said their rooms had been recently remodeled, I think that perhaps since we were staying using points we were put in the worst villa in the complex. It had obviously not been refurbished in many years. See attached pictures! The bathrooms were filthy and moldy, there were cigarette burns on the drapes, the furnace didn't work (and it was cold when were there), the door lock was broken, the lamp in the shower was broken, housekeeping left the bed runner balled up on the couch, AND left my patio door open and unlocked one night. They informed us that they would only give us clean kitchen towels once every 13 days, unless we wanted to pay an extra $96/day. When asking for help, the staff was rude and unhelpful.

It was the biggest waste of preciously saved points one could possibly imagine. Ruined our whole vacation. In retrospect, I wish we would have left and gone to stay at the Residence Inn down the road, it probably would have been better.

I loved Palm Desert. But I will stay at Hilton next time!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas. There is no excuse for the poor housekeeping service and quality of your villa. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

There are 3 parts to this property - the Marriott Hotel, Villa's I and Villa's II. The Hotel is a 10-15 walk from the Villa's but there is a shuttle bus the makes frequent stops at all times of the day. The restaurants are at the Hotel with Starbucks and other snack areas scattered nearby the Villa's.
We had a one bedroom suite at Villa's I and it did not disappoint. Updated room with huge living space, balcony and full kitchen with laundry; comfortable, firm king bed; quiet area; parking right outside the door; amazing food at nearby Rockwood Grill in the Marriott Hotel. Staff were super friendly and quick to respond to any requests or concerns.
A quick shop in nearby El Paseo is fun but golf was the reason for our visit and Marriott Villa's is very close to countless amazing golf courses (off property is best if you prefer a challenge). Amenities and grocery shopping is very close by to stock up on food and drink.
Would most definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you are inclined, call a week ahead to request specific room needs - the staff are friendly and v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Came here with the family (3 and 5 year old)and enjoyed the pools(3.5 feet in most places) and the kids club activities( ping pong, football, climbing wall) Nice sized rooms with all the supplies provided in the kitchen. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I? Share your experiences!