“Exceptional place, terrific exercise program” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 25%
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Modesto, Calif.
“Exceptional place, terrific exercise program”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We just had our second of two stays in a at DS1 through a "getaway" with our timeshare exchange. Both were through the first week of September including the Labor Day holiday, in 2010 & 2011. We found the staff to be friendly, pleasant and accommodating.

The one-bedroom unit is a wonderful, large space. Well furnished with exceptional wood finishings on cupboards, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances. We love the step-down living room with two large connecting sofas, where you can view the golfcourse and pond, or watch the large flatscreen TV. The spa tub is roomy for two people, and we bring candles & bubble bath to fully enjoy it.

Unfortunately, on this latest check-in, I initially kept running into invisable sticky spots. That is the only reason I am giving 4 stars enstead of 5. The underside of the refrigerator door handle, a spot on the floor in front of the fridge, splattered mirror, spots of food left on dishes probably after poor dishwashing, and dusty lampbases and shades. I would have called for housekeeping, but each time I was surprised to find another spot. I probably used about 1/8th of the paper towel roll taking care of these minor annoyances. On the good side, our unit (Bldg B, room 9115) was so lovely that I really didn't want to be moved to another unit. And I didn't find any other problems after the first evening. These things would have probably gladly been taken care of if I had called.

We were glad we went to the Monday morning welcome and orientation meeting. There were discounts and drawings for free stuff. Get there early for the drawing. Marriott has introduced a White Tiger yoga and fitness exercise program here and at a few of their other resorts. Being in the off season, we were able to participate for the whole week for $59. each, regularly about $25 per class session. The guy who put this program together definitely knows his stuff. It is very good to help get the kinks out and keep you physically healthy for your vacation, and generally not too extreme. Lots of gentle stretching including concepts of yoga and tai chi, also water fitness exercises. We didn't buy the extra exercise class videos and doodads available for taking home, but wouldn't have minded having them, as this is a program worth continuing as your morning routine. We were across the small street from the clubhouse, and enjoyed using that pool without other occupants between 7 and 9am.

Also new this trip is the Shadow activities building. We especially enjoyed viewing free second-run movies there. They have seating for about 20, and had movies that had come out within the last year. We saw "Soul Surfer", and "True Grit". Skip the chocolate tasting event if you are an adult. Just explanations about the gradations from white chocolate to bitter chocolate, and the tastings are of Ghiradelli chocolate chips. Might be interesting for children.

We attended the timeshare vacation program presentation as we wanted to know what Marriott is doing with their new points program. Our reward was $75 resort credits or two rounds of golf. We split it for one round of golf and $50 toward the spa at the Marriott hotel. It was worth it to us, we learned a lot about their program and they were pleasant at the end when we declined to join, and kept the whole thing to 2 hours, even with our questions and comments.

Room Tip: Studio/ efficiencies in DS1 are mostly parking lot view. The one bedroom units are larger in Desert...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Saginaw, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

These seem to be the largest of any Marriott time share units, and we've stayed in at least 10 different properties. I love the sunken living room and spacious wrap around sofa (large enough for two people to stretch out completely). The other piece of furniture in the living room is a chair with welcome footrest. We like the granite counter top around the edge of the living room that is great for holding all those travel brochures we pick up and want to have handy. The kitchen is large enough for 2 people to work and has all the standard appliances, and again, granite countertops.

The dining area is easy for 6 to use, and 8 could be squeezed in. The master bedroom is quite large and opens out to the balcony that also runs from the living room. The adjoining studio unit has a separate, also large, balcony. Each balcony has lounge chairs and the "master balcony" also has a table and 4 chairs.

We like to get a unit near one of the pools, but there are also units convenient to the tennis courts and hotel, if that is your preference. Villas I and II share the same management, with Villas II being the newer. Villas I have more square feet, but are about 5 years older. There are no elevators, so that may be a disadvantage to some people since the better views are from the upper units.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

This was our 10th consecutive summer of spending a week in one of the two Marriott Timeshare properties in Palm Desert, but it was the most disappointing stay we have experienced. Our family generally obtains 8 - 10 2-bedroom units for a "Family Retreat" each summer. Our daughter was even married at one of these two Marriott Timeshares. We have normally received stellar service from Marriott without having to contact management, not this time.

While my unit was available for check-in when I arrived at 7:00 p.m., several in our party were made to wait several hours after the 4:00 p.m. scheduled check-in to gain access to their units. Apparently, this was due to a severe shortage of housekeeping staff to clean the rooms and make them available.

My personal issue was the manner in which the front desk personnel handled an issue arising from my checkin the previous day. When I went to the front desk to clear up this issue the next morning, I encountered an "attitude problem" with the customer service person. I then requested a "manager" to handle the issue and encountered an "attitude problem" with the manager. Both of these situations were quite surprising to me since I have NEVER encountered a negative attitude with any Marriott personnel in more than 10 years of staying at Marriott properties.

I do believe this may stem from personnel being understaffed, hopefully. If this is true it can easily be remedied. And, I hope it will be remedied before our next stay.

I still rate this property "very good" because it is better than "average" (the next lower rating).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Camrose, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed here for a week with Interval International. The 2 bedroom unit was about 1600 square feet with 2 balconies overlooking the golf course. How can you beat looking at Palm trees every morning. Excellent service from everyone in the resort. The units & outside areas were spotless. The bedrooms were huge and the bed comfort was second to none.Lots of space in each area & the unit was equipped with everything you needed to make a comfortable stay. This place is luxury at any time of the year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I just stayed at the "villas" for a week, hoping to enjoy a quiet, relaxing stay. Check-in was smooth, but we accidentally went to the main Marriott resort around the corner and they were rude to us. After locating the villas, the front desk slammed a map on the counter and dismissed us. The villas themselves are ugly Orange stucco and there are trash bags in front, maintenance just leaves them there. The inside of our room was clean and spacious and recently updated, but the hot water in our tub didn't work, and many of the light fixtures would not turn on. My grandparents left their credit card on file as a gift for us, but EVERY time we tried charging something to our room it was a huge problem.
The concierge couldn't give us directions to the nearby zoo, and when we called the front desk, no one answered the phone. In fact, no one ever answers the phone at this place. We are dissappointed, and not staying here again. Also, the pools are tiny, overcrowded, and not very clean. Don't come here! Stay at a holiday inn and save some money.

• Stayed August 2011
Canyon Country, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I exchanged a week of my Starwood Princeville Kauai into Interval. This was the only property available for a week that I could book when I called. I was able to book a 1bdrm villa. We stayed in building T (bottom floor,) end of unit. The unit is spacious, and clean. It is a bit outdated ...esp. the tile and the cupboards. I was not thrilled when I awoke to sun in my eyes at daybreak because the sun beat through the wooden blinds on the patio door in the bdrm facing the bed.. The same thing went for the living room. The sun was pouring in because there were no blackout curtains, so there was no sleeping in on this vacation! Bring your sleep mask if you want to sleep in!
Bedding for sofa bed was missing from our villa. It was delivered promptly after I made the call to the help desk. There were a number of activities listed in the daily Resort Activities. They would appeal to children younger than mine. My youngest is 16 yrs old. My youngest daughter was the one that said, "It is nice, but it isn't like the resort we stayed in last year." She was comparing it to the Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage.
I wasn't wild about sharing a foyer/entry area to villas with a stranger because I was not able to get a 2 bedroom villa. I have never stayed in a villa before where there was a door to the villa doors.
At check-in there was no discussion of a mid week tidy, so I called the desk to ask later about these services. Apparently, these services are not offered to "non owner guests". I was expecting at least a replenishment of towels once during our week long visit. Marriot charges $18 for a mid-wk tidy!
The a/c kept it chilly during our July visit, but during the night I was awakened multiple times by the 'TICK, TICK, TICK' of the a/c. Between the sun streaming in at the crack of dawn and the noise the A/C made all night long, I think I will try a Tylenol PM in hopes of getting a good night's sleep my last few nights at the resort.
The whirlpool tub in the villa is HUGE. It filled quickly and the whirlpool jets were lovely. It is a little tough to get in and out of the tub because there are no steps in/out of it. Watch your step! The TV in the bedroom can be viewed from the tub, which was nice. I found it very difficult to wash my hair in the tub because the clean water runs in too close to the edge of the tub. You cannot get your head under the running water!
Everything was adequate, just not exceptional.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fountain Hills, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I am reviewing as a Time Share Owner!
Check in was smooth and accommodating -had called to say arrival time was going to be later than 4 PM. We were told that someone from maintenance would meet us at room to assist us with luggage to second level but no one came and after waiting for awhile did it ourselves.

It's mportant to note that better rooms are the 1- 2 bedrooms, which are equipped with full size refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, laundry facility, spacious living and dining room area, bedrooms and bath are spacous. The efficency Kings are the exact opposite (which is to be expected)-king size bed in small studio size lving area, but microwave, college type refrigerator, some eating utensils, all located underneath sink counter space behnd cabinet doors. The tub/shower dangeroulsly high even for average height female (don't think about it for children-) it required a small stepping stool (that I found necessary to purchase) in order to step in and out of tub safely. Nevertheless our room was exceptionally clean and in good order except for large dark spot on rug.
Another surprise to us-Houekeepng divided into categories
We discovered that houekeepng was divided into categories meaning owners/exchange guest/guest (still a little confused about that) - but owner/exchange guests or guest- suppilied with daily tidy service meaning a phone call to housekeeping to restock existing linens and supplies, take out own trash to dumpsters. Meanwhile full housekeeping of cleaning, bed changed, rug and floor clean, etc came with a fee.

Finally, don't believe the hype about free wireless in the rooms. It is free if and when one is able to connect to the attwifi server (AT&T), which was down more than up and running. After the first 2 days of calling for tech help and listening to the rehearsed rhetoric that a "work order was placed for entire complex" and to try later, I figured out that successful connecton to AT&T's server would only occur for short peiods throughout the day beginning 8:30 am (like clock work almost) up until around 8-9 pm when the connection went down for good. Of course one was free to use the Internt at the clubhouse for a small fee or try for a hotpot.

Meanwhile the location was set in very nice setting of rolling hills, running fountains and golf course for miles, but be prepared in Villas II to walk some distance or drive around on campus in order to get to campus activities, barbecue grills, bars, restaurants, and the 5 pools on the campus. Villas II was far from the main clubhouse and away from the main drive.

Room Tip: better rooms are 1-2 bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I? Share your experiences!