“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
La Jolla
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times and although it could use a little updating, I will stay there again. They have a very good complimentary breakfast and their location is excellent for shopping.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for staying with us when you come and visit the desert. We appreciate all feedback given to us and love when people stay again and again. We hope to see you next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
El Monte, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed here during Stagecoach weekend and really had a great experience! We stayed at a 3rd floor unit and had a partial view of the pool plus a balcony. There were tons of people who were staying there for the event so that was pretty cool!

Pros: The room was surprisingly clean and spacious, FREE breakfast made to order that was DELICIOUS + the cooks were peppy and nice, free wi-fi, it's a shuttle stop for the festival, plenty of parking, and walking distance to tons of restaurants and stores (Albertsons, Panda Express, Del Taco, etc).

Cons: TV didn't work at first but someone came to fix it right away. Girl at the front desk seemed burnt out from dealing with crazy people from two Coachella + Stagecoach weekends. Tried to request late check out but only got an extra 30-45 minutes.

All in all, this place exceeded my expectations! Probably a whole different experience during Coachella weekend though but oh well :)

• Stayed April 2014
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. April is a busy month with so much going on and its wonderful to have so many different people stay with us. We hope to see you again next year.
La Quinta, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I come home to stay where Mom and I lived often. I had friends from Seattle travel down for Coachella Fest and since I can't have my friends stay at my Mom's Desert Home, suggested some local hotels for my friends who have never visited the valley before.

I stopped by and while I was taking a shower, realized I was not in the shower alone. A disgusting huge roach was in there with me. I contacted a man (mgr?) at the front desk who dismissed it as if no big deal and we were told they are not cockroaches they are palmetto bugs. As if that was going to calm our nerves. This is ridiculous. The front desk was rude, and refused to do anything about it. I went home to stay at Mom's overnight, they were booked for two days but...

Let's call my friend "J" woke up with something crawling over him, and saw another cock roach. IN this hotel's BED! These are vermin, disease-carrying filthy creatures and I was embarrassed because I was the one who suggested this dump, and reflected horribly on me!

J captured the 3rd roach in the hotel room w a paper towel and he took it down to the front desk only to be dismissed by that rude man. Wait til you hear what his response was. He had the NERVE to accuse us of smuggling the cockroaches IN the hotel and planting them to get a "discount, or refund". I was furious. WHO would do that and why?? They only offered to switch rooms and give us half off 2nd nite stay. We talked w my Mom about it and because the valley was sold out w Chella Fest, had no other hotel openings.

I visited this man at desk again and I let him know how he WAS going to be reported to Corporate Headquarters because I have traveled all of my life w my Mom, and family. I was in Europe for two weeks and experienced 9 countries Portofino, Spain, OktoberFest in Germany, my Grandmother's Mother Land, South of France, and stayed in a castle so I am not your average budget traveler. He took Mad Attitude on me and he became combative, hostile and ruder to me.

This Best Western Palm Desert manager? He then said he was taking away the offer to stay in another (hopefully clean, uninfested bydisgusting cockroaches) room and no 50% off that night's stay.

The entire ordeal was beyond us! I went home and Mom called Corporate and I spoke with the agent for 20 minutes and she was sympathetic. She called that mgr. and he tried to cover it up but the customer is usually right. I liked the way the nice phone agent handled this and she did honor my request for a refund for the roach hotel refund to my credit card and thanked her.

This is a roach motel. Do NOT bring your families here. DISgusting!!!!

BTW, talked w Mom and she suggested I call the health dept. and report this infested dump. I did!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I assure we take allegations like this very seriously and will be making a thorough report of this to ensure that we are providing the best possible customer experience.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for Coachella festival and the shuttle bus to the grounds left just across the road from the hotel everyday which was very convenient. The rooms were really nice - super spacious and modern with a nice seating area and big balcony. The breakfast is nice... You can choose from a couple of choices on a menu and its made fresh.

Our experience with the staff at the hotel was not a pleasant one. When we checked in I stated my name and the man behind the desk repeated it in a mocking tone and then said "I'm just going to call you by your first name, its easier". Even though I was a little insulted I ignored. He gave us a map of the grounds and tried to draw directions to the room twice, before stating he was tired and sent us on our way. We found the room and it hadn't been cleaned yet after the last guests so we dropped our bags in and went back to the front desk. Instead of apologising when I said the room wasn't ready he said "oh well it should be." Then another member of staff nearby rushed over, apologised for the inconvenience and said he'd get someone straight away. As we had arrived a little early I told them it was okay, we'd go out for some food and be back in an hour or so. Arrived back and STILL room hadn't been cleaned. Rang reception and a woman answered and told me very sharpely that I hadn't told them when I'd be back. Being Irish it really isn't in my nature to cause a fuss... So we planned to go out again to kill some time. She rang back to say the room next door was ready and to come get the key from the desk. This would have been fine but the balcony of this room was facing the internal courtyard and was half shaded from the sun, I wanted our original room... Just a clean one! I didn't think this was a big ask so we went down again and she huffed and sighed and made me out to be the most awkward and inconvient guest. We told her we'd be going out again and would be back in an hour and a half. When we went back to the hotel to get our original key back she said nothing - just slid the key across the desk. So all in all it took over THREE hours from check in to when our room was actually ready. Apart from the nice staff member the first time who was only passing the fron desk I got no apology.

• Stayed April 2014
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I apologize that your room was not ready immediately upon check in. We will be notating this and having our front desk learn from this experience so that it doesn't happen again in the future.
Scranton, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I was in town for the Coachella Music Festival and chose this hotel as it was close to the shuttle service. Don't expect too much luxury, but if you need a comfortable room to rest your head after a long day and start you off for the next, you could do a lot worse than this place. They provide made-to-order breakfasts and close proximity to several grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Again, it may lack a bit of the luxury and polish of its surroundings (and against all the country clubs in that area, what hotel wouldn't?), but it is clean, well staffed, and convenient no matter why you are in the area. I have stayed in "luxury" hotels that were not nearly this comfortable and well-maintained.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay and that you enjoyed the breakfast.
Stanwood, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Palm Desert Resort is an updated hotel where you think it should be outdated but it is not. The rooms are nicely decorated and clean. The best part is the breakfast that is cooked to order for you. If you like eggs and bacon or sausage or pancakes you will really love this. The pool has several chairs and is a good size. Although it was really hot the water was a little too cool for me. It is rated by Best Western as a 3 star hotel, but it probably isn't really a 3 star hotel for the area. All this said, it was such a value that we would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
bestwesternpdmanager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
We are pleased to offer great value to all of our guests. Having the cooked to order breakfast is something we think everyone will enjoy. We are glad to know you had a great time and look forward to seeing you again.
Mammoth Lakes, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was clean and comfortable, and the staff was all very nice and helpful. Being that we stayed during Coachella Weekend, the higher price was to be expected, but the amount of gauging by hotels on the shuttle route these days is outrageous!! It was a great location overall, with a Starbucks and the shuttle stop across the street, and several restaurants and shopping centers nearby. The only real complaint I have about the hotel is that room walls are too thin. We could hear complete conversations of the neighboring guests, and closet doors slamming back and forth. Not ideal in the mornings. Running the A/C fan did help to muffle out the outside noises though. Other than that, the pool area was nice and we enjoyed the balcony for relaxing. We would very likely stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for choosing to stay with us over the music festival weekend. Being so close to the shuttle stop and near restaurants gives our guests lots of options during their stay. We hope you come back again next year.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Palm Desert Resort? Share your experiences!