“Positively Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Ottawa, ON
“Positively Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

If you have a family, this is a positively excellent resort - and we have stayed at many timeshare resorts over the years. If you do not have a family, then there are better alternatives for the childless.

The 2 BD unit was spotless and filled with every amenity. The balcony on the master unit was fantastic for breakfasts and lunches. We heard nothing from neighbours, though we were on the top floor.

The pool area is incredible for kids. The family pool is very large and there is a sprinkler area and waterslide. The kiddie pool is very nice. The quiet pool is also very large though I did not use it much.

The recreation center is terrific - there are 2 crafts/day for kids and movies throughout the day. There was even a poker night for adults on Tuesdays.

I am very picky about timeshare resorts and this is my first 5 star review ever.

That said, a childless couple (or heaven forbid, a businessperson) should stay at a neighbouring hotel like the JW Marriott or Renaissance. There are no hotel services that such a traveller would demand. This explains the negative reviews below.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Trip taken July 2-5 2006. Our ages are late 30's, no kids on the trip.

The offer: It came directly from Marriott. $225, 3 nights, villa suite, plus a $50 voucher at the reosrt if you come on any day other than Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. If you arrive on those days it's $100; hey we thought...sounds good why not. It was winter when got the offer and thought this would nice and relaxing. Note that we did not have to partake in any sales presentations, which was the only reason we accepted the offer.

Arrival: Our plane was delayed so we didn't get to the resort until 9ish on Sunday night. The wait was minor, the staff courteous, however, the $100 voucher we were promised was not there. We were told to come back tomorrow. When we came back the next day, after a little waiting and an attempt at a sales pitch (no big deal) I had the voucher in hand.

The Villa: The room had a full kitchen, livingroom area and the bedroom separate. We expected what we were told, a new villa; this it was not. The shower had mold all around the bottom and the floor was dirty enough that walking barefoot left your feet black. The AC in the room had a mind of its own and would get very cold and then hot, not having touched the temp gauge. Having 2 sets of sinks was nice and the kitchen was fully stocked with everything you would need to cook. The bed was so-so. My girlfriend and I don't sleep well and the bed was not comfortable and the pillows were horribly hard and lumpy.

The Grounds: We didn't run ourselves all over the resort. We did use the pool area, I mean it was 115 degrees and we don't golf. The pool area (there are 2 pools next to each other) had a lot of families and the one pool with the water slide was jammed with kids. We didn't realize that this resort was a vacation spot for families and lots of kids; probably would have opted for somewhere else. While we expected some families of course, it was like a 5 to 1 ratio of kids to adults and even at the quieter pool there was no quiet time per-say.

Food: All I can say about this is that the restaurants at the resort have no breakfast. Nothing. You have to either get groceries and bring them back to the room or drive somewhere for breakfast. We did not expect this and ended up renting a car, a $120 I didn't expect to spend. We never did eat at the reosrt seeing as I now had a car and could go to Palm Springs to eat at some good establishments.

Other Stuff: I tried to talk to a manager at the resort to go over some of the issues we experienced and was told it would be a few minutes. This was happening while I waited to get my voucher. After the 10 minutes it took to get the voucher, I went back to the front desk, to the same person I had talked to 10 minutes before, and this time he said it was going to be at least 30 minutes. Obviously I didn't wait and in the end never did get to talk to anyone. While my notes here are mostly negative, we were not going to complain to the management, we just wanted them to be aware of whet their sales people are selling versus what they deliver when you get there.

The resort is probably good for families with kids and/or those who intend on golfing and not really using the villa's much. We wanted a relaxing few days away, that's what we were told it would be, and unfortnately this was not a resort for a couple to go to relax.

I would rate the place (from 1-10) a 4 for couple, but maybe a 7 for families with children.

• Stayed July 2004
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

I was at Shadow Ridge a few weeks ago with my husband and baby. The resort is nice and clean but my room was dirty and the furniture is so outdated. I stayed in the 1400 building...near the pool. The bathroom was my biggest problem....these slimey water bugs kept coming out and i realized it was coming from holes in the corners of the bathroom. I hated using the bathroom...i saw them everytime...it was gross. When I complained, they sent someone to clean up the dead waterbugs but they came back the next day....small ones, long ones, fat ones....omg, it's disgusting. The furniture was so outdated, I was scared that I might get bitten by bed bugs or something. My son was getting bitten my something but we don't know what....but it def didn't happen from outside. Oh yea, there are spiders everywhere...in almost every corner of every rooom. I felt like I went camping instead of going to a resort.
The good thing is that the pool is really fun for kids. Our friends came to visit us with their kids and they were on the slide all day. It's very much for families. Another good thing is the Walmart nearby. We went there for everything and it was so convenient. I don't think I could ever stay at Shadow Ridge again b/c the bugs are too much for me. I sprayed Lysol disinfectant everywhere!...and bought bug spray for the bathroom...not much help.

Solana Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

This was truly a dissapointing stay. First off, the customer service at this "hotel" is awful. As a Marriott Gold Elite member, I expect a certain level of customer service. This was nowhere near that. The guest rooms for hotel guests (not timeshare owners) are unbelievably small with the most uncomfortable pull out couches imaginable. The hotel staff is lazy and the maids obviously only do what they have to (There was trash in the stairwell and hallways for 3 days that was never removed)!. The manager, Phillip, was also very unhelpful. Might not be his fault, though. They put this guy in charge of the hotel, and then give him NO authority to do anything. It was always, "I''m sorry, only the 1-800 number can do that. I dont' have the authority". (What is the purpose of having a manager who has no authority?)

Also, this is a FAMILY resort. There are no spots for adults outside of the golf course (Which was nice). There are 4 pool areas. 1 baby wading pool, 1 kids pool with a slide, 1 large pool and a pool that looked like a lap pool. Didn't matter where you went, though, there were screaming children EVERYWHERE! No designated spots for adults to lounge and relax, it was all children, all the time. Reminded me of a Disney resort.

I think that as a family, who owned a timeshare of a larger unit, it would probably be a good place to go. Lots of stuff to do for the kids and a million other children around to play with. For adults or young professionals, however, it was NOT the place to be. We eventually checked into The Viceroy where we could enjoy a nice mojito without having a kid drenching us with cannonballs. Also, at Shadow Ridge, there is NOTHING TO DO. No room service, no spa, no lounge. NOTHING.

I'm going to try and download the pictures from my camera phone showing the trash - so I can include them with this review.

Lesson learned: If you want to stay at a Marriott in the desert, STAY AT THE JW !!! You will not be dissapointed. Professional staff, beautiful rooms, great experience.

California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel about a year ago. Based on a prior experience we decided to stay at this hotel once again.
I usually always carry all my makeup and hair products with me anywhere I go. You know women… For the first time I didn't bring any shampoo, hair condition or body lotion with me. Hotel usually always provides them. I thought I use the hotel’s stuff. We were only planning to spend a weekend there anyway.
Up on arrival to the hotel room I noticed that bathroom floors were dirty. It had dirty shoes prints all over the tile floor. One shampoo bottle was already opened and been used. Also there was not any hair conditioner or body lotion in the bathroom.
I called the housekeeping to fix the bathroom and bring some bathroom supplies. Lady who answered the phone was rude. She was surprised when I told her that the bathroom was dirty. 20 min later a housekeeper came by with the vacuum in her hand asking if I was going to vacuum the floors… ????
Later the bathroom was cleaned. But still we didn’t get any body lotion or hair conditioner. I asked the housekeeper if I could have some but she said that she only had a shampoo and soap. I wished I brought my own stuff with me.
Also there was not any regular coffee in the room. There was only one bag of decaf coffee in the kitchen.
On the second day of our stay we didn't get any soap or shampoo refills. They just provided us with one small shampoo bottle for two people for two days.
Is hotel very tight on bathroom supplies??? It seems like housekeeping people were stilling the supplies or hotel didn’t have enough. When we stayed at Shadow Ridge last year the hotel provided us with coffee and 2 bottles of shampoos, lotions, soaps and hair conditioners every day of our stay.
Also our room on second night was full of mosquitoes. I assume that the cleaning people left the door opened while they were cleaning the room.
That was the first time I have ever experienced that kind of service.

• Stayed May 2006
Claremon,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

I have just went to the Marriot Activity Zone Experince aka MAZE this is great for kids and adults! Kids can be there for hours and will still be begging to stay longer. The kids can make cars (takes a few hours) , bird houses, connecting beads, and the arcade. When its time to rest ,the kids and adults can go into a brand new movie theater and watch many new and old movies.There is also an Adult MAZE where adults can watch movies that the kids dont need to see and play poker. I give the MAZE a 5 out of 5 stars.

brea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

I'm picky...This place was great. Rooms very clean and loved the patio where we could have our mimosas and watch the scenery. And their infiniti pools and jacuzzi's are fantastic. The best part was the jacuzzi tub in our room ...Big enough for 2...:)

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge? Share your experiences!