I seldom feel the need to write a review because in general most places we stay are pretty nice and the reviews already reflect this, but I think that management at this resort needs to hear from more folks who found the resort to be far from a typical MVC experience. As a Marriott Vacation Club owner, I was very disappointed with our stay. While the unit itself was generally nice and fairly well- appointed, there was room for improvement. One of the pillows on the sofa was so stained that it should have been replaced; it was disgusting. The bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned either and was missing toiletries for the shower. The phone messaging system did not operate properly and it seemed that we got messages but they came late. I wasn't thrilled to see our neighbor leaning over their balcony allowing a full view of our living area and master bedroom due to the design of the building and the angling of the balconies rather than just having them be straight, so privacy wouldn't be an issue.
I agree 100% with what Snowflake reported in an earlier review. The pool areas were filthy with litter from people drinking alcohol and leaving the cups and cans behind. The pools were murky and dirty with hair and bugs and it was pretty much wall to wall people. There was no one patrolling the pool area to ensure that the posted rules were being followed. One day at the pool, there was a giant float with 10-12 adolescent boys with long range squirt guns. They were intentional shooting at other guest including small children and the pool attendant walked by and said nothing. Where were their parents? At the other end of the pool drinking beers that they brought to the pool, (not from the pool bar) and chatting to each other oblivious to their children's obnoxious behavior.
Every other vacation club we've visited makes guests wear wrist bands to ensure that they are actual guests of the resort so that even if 20 people are packed into a unit that is supposed to sleep 8, not all 20 of those people are getting to the pool. The pool gates were never locked and the access gate into the resort was a joke. We stayed at the Newport Coast Villas earlier in the summer and although they do not have a gated entry into the resort, they do keep the pool gates locked and regularly check guest for wrist bands to keep non-legitimate guests from overcrowding the common facilities. I'm pretty sure that Newport has as many or more units and about an equivalent amount of common area and it does get crowded there too during the summer, but the management there does a much better job of patrolling to ensure that the customer experience is up to the Marriott standard.
Perhaps if you are travelling without children and can take advantage of the "quiet pool", then your experience might be different, but if you are a small family with children looking for a relaxing vacation, this is not the place, at least not during the spring or summer when the resort is overrun with large groups of as Snowflake put it, "ghetto" types.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southern California's magnificent mountain ranges serve as the breathtaking backdrop for Marriott's Shadow Ridge. Spacious villas overlook rolling fairways and sparkling lakes weaving throughout the landscape. Beautiful master suites feature a king bed and oversized soaking tub while the spacious living and dining areas, and fully kitchen offer convenience and comfort. Swing by the Faldo Golf Institute by Marriott and try your luck on the championship course. Then relax at Nick Faldo's Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Marriott's Shadow Ridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott`s Shadow Ridge Hotel Palm Desert
- Marriotts Palm Desert
- Marriotts Hotel Shadow Ridge
- Marriott Palm Desert
- Marriott Shadow Ridge
- Marriotts Shadow Ridge