“Beautiful place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
New York City, New York
“Beautiful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

A lovely place to spend a vacation. The place is very large and a new section will be opening soon. There are multiple pools with many lounge chairs. The grounds are very clean and well maintained. It is very close to Costco and Walmart which was a plus for stocking the fridge. The villas are similar to any Marriott timeshare. My only negative comment is, we stayed in the 2200 building which is quite a distance from the health club. Yes, I know we should power walk there and get more exercise but that didn't interest me. Perhaps, the new section closer to the 2200 buildings will have a health club.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed a week at the Resort. It was wonderful!! Great rooms, beautiful scenery, incredible flowers and fun! fun! fun! Wonderful pools for the kids, a great slide and very nice life guards. The greatest golf course and on and on! But the most incredible thing was the friendly staff!.....everyone waved! everyone said kind things and all smiled!!! They really seemed to love working there!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Delano, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We exchanged our MN timeshare through Interval for an efficiency unit here at Marriott's Shadow Ridge. Pros: Beautiful, clean property. Really friendly staff - everyone we encountered said "Good Morning" or "Hello". The pools are salt water, nice not having the chlorine smell. Our unit was recently remolded and the bed was really comfortable - king size, nice pillows. We requested to be close to the "quiet pool" and we were just across the road, building 2800. Weather was fabulous, mid 80's and sunny the whole week! (I know that has nothing to do with the resort - just had to say it)
Cons: We didn't like the efficiency. We normally get a 1 BR, but at the time when I exchanged, they only had efficiency available. The lock off between the two units had a 1-2 inch gab at the bottom of the door and their kitchen was right there. The neighbors were early risers (5:15 AM one morning) and we could hear everything they said, plus micro door slamming, plates and cups banging and dishwasher starting. After a couple days I stuffed some towels under the door and that helped a little. Also, there were no barb-b-q utensils. I had to use the ice tongs one night and almost burned my fingers. The ice maker was right outside our door, again very noisy and we were on an end unit, ground floor and there was a service door that led to the parking lot that people used often and it banged loudly when closing.
That was our only complaint. If we could get a 1 BR, different unit, we would come back.

Room Tip: Don't get the efficiency in 2008 at the end of the hall by the ice machine. Very noisy.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I go there at least once a year for kinda weekend getaway or any 3-day weekend without a particular plan.

Shame that I do not play golf, I could've really enjoyed.

It is really really good for family vacation.
So many amenities and pools to hang out, and you can see the Marriott really put good effort to keep the place safe and fun for kids.

Only one minor complaint would be there is not many restaurants within the property or right next to it. I do not want the hassle to drive couple of miles to get some decent food if I am on my vacation. But if you think about it, I am the only person complaining about such thing since all units are fully equipped with kitchen wares lol

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The grounds are very clean and the units are large and very nicely finished. I would give this 5 stars, but there were too many issues that made this weekend getaway more disappointing:

1. We were staying on the 3rd floor 2-bedroom villa, in a handicapped-accessible unit. This was going to work out fine, since my 90-year old dad was with us. However, the elevator broke twice during our weekend. The first time was on Friday morning. We waited at the 3rd floor elevator forever, and it would not come. I helped my dad go down the stairs, then realized they had put an "Out of Order" sign on the elevator on the ground floor, but not on the 2nd, or 3rd floors. So we had no way of knowing the elevator was broken. The elevator was finally repaired the following morning, but then broke again for half the day on Saturday. I had to help my dad go up and down the stairs during these times. Not easy for a 90-year old man. I understand that technical issues like this can happen, and are unpredictable. However, that did not make it easier for my dad. I did find that the staff was very concerned, and very responsive to helping get this resolved as soon as possible.

2. I have an electric vehicle (Tesla). My trip from LA to Rancho Mirage used up over half of my power, and I needed to charge the car over the weekend. There is an outside charging station just in front of our villa, used to charge the resort's service vehicles. But when I asked if I could use it, I was told my security (called Risk Management) that they have had problems with EVs overloading their systems in the past. There was nowhere I could charge in the resort (no outdoor plugs), so I ended up having to leave my car charging overnight in a charging station a few miles away. Sunday morning, the day I left, there was a Tesla charging in front of my villa, in the same area where I was told I could not charge.

3. We had a time-share presentation that was supposed to give us an incentive (Marriott points or a cash card). After the presentation, when we went to the front desk, but we were told that they had no incentive for us, that our package did not include any incentive. I had to find the original letter, and return the following day, to get the incentive.

Overall, it is a very nice resort, with great amenities, and very friendly staff. The resort is very family friendly. But on this trip, we had a few issues that made it less enjoyable. I would still return here again, and recommend it to others. I just think we just had a few issues that occurred together and made it less enjoyable that the last time we were here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Shadow Ridge, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing your family’s experience with us! Our team is happy to hear everyone had a great time on their first stay at Marriott’s Shadow Ridge. However, we are disappointed to hear there were a few concerns that took away from our overall experience. This is not typical of our resort and your feedback will be addressed accordingly. We would welcome the chance to speak with you further about your stay and invite you to contact our customer care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384 at your convenience. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit with us in Palm Desert!
Salt Lake City, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Shadow Ridge is a huge development located on the edge of Palm Desert. That said, it's not that far to the main area or even the other several communities that flow into each other there. We reserved our unit using destination points and my husband said, "We won't be in the room that much, why don't we just book the studio and save our points?" Since we hadn't been to the area before, and I figured we'd be doing a lot of sight seeing, I agreed and we booked the studio. If we go there again, I would definitely book the one bedroom. For a whole week, the studio was not that "comfortable". You couldn't spread out and relax like you would if you had the extra room and the kitchens would be very different. This one was really lacking. The studios do not have dishwashers and the number of dishes provided was minimal. We had 2 large plates, 2 small plates, 2 bowls, 2 large forks, 2 small forks, 2 spoons, 2 dinner knives, 2 steak knives, a cork screw and a hand operated can opener. No large knives, no scissors, no large bowls and no pitcher - I bought some frozen orange juice and had to mix it up in the ice bucket. They did have several different types of glassware - 2 of each kind. We were given a room on the top floor of building 2000. On the map it looks like it's a long way from the pools, but it's not that far, and if you want you can drive down and park on the street right by the pools, so it's not that big of a deal. Also we had a nice view of the golf course. In the area by building 1500, there are 2 pools. One has a slide and some other features definitely aimed for children, so that one will obviously be a bit noisier than the pool a short distance away, across from building 1400. One thing I did learn is that although that second pool will be quieter that the first pool, it is NOT called the quiet pool. The "quiet pool" is way up by building 2900. Both the main pools have lots of lounge chairs and lots of shaded areas. We didn't go up to see the quiet pool. The best buildings, I would think, would be those not on Monterey Ave. They seem off on their own and far from the main pool area. The resort has several food options, we didn't try any of them so I can't comment on those. There is a casual food/bar between the 2 main pools with seating and it seemed quite busy. While not "in" the city of Palm Desert, it's very close to several restaurants, a Walmart, and a Costco. We thought it was a nice place to stay. We were there in January and they were having a "heat wave" so the temperature in the afternoon was often in the high 70's or low 80's. There were however, large temperature "swings". It was cold in the morning, and about 4pm it started to get cool again. I didn't bring enough warm clothing and had to purchase a sweatshirt at the "Street Fair" on Saturday - which I wore a lot of the time. When it was warm in the middle of the day, there was no wind, so I'm not sure how pleasant it would be in the summer months there. We're not sure if we'll go back to Palm Desert or not. We've seen the "sights", on the other hand it sure beats the cold snowy January weather we have in Salt Lake City that time of year, so we just might.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We just completed our 6th stay at this wonderful resort and as usual, were completely satisfied. We are avid golfers, and the course at Shadow Ridge never gets boring. This stay, the course which is always in perfect condition, was even more perfect! The staff at both the clubhouse and the resort are always friendly and go out of their way to make your stay the most pleasant it can be. Kudos to all at Marriott's Shadow Ridge!

Room Tip: We love the 1000 building with it's view of the 18th green and closeness to the clubhouse.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge? Share your experiences!