“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
San Diego, CA
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a timeshare complex -- full disclosure: we are owners at Shadow Ridge. This was our fourth stay at Shadow Ridge, and each time we've found the units to be spotlessly clean, very comfortable (lots of pillow choices), and very well equipped. The most recent visit was for four days during the Indian Wells tennis tournament, when occupancy is very high. Because we changed our plans fairly late, we had to change rooms after the third night, and the staff was very accommodating and helpful. They stored our luggage for us while we attended the tennis matches and checking back in was very quick and simple. The hotel also provides guests with discounts to restaurants, maps, etc. It's a typical Marriott (which is a pretty high standard).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Hood River, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Lovely, spacious villas - nice pool areas - beautiful scenery. If you don't need to be walking distance from restaurants/shops/etc., this is a great resort. The pools get very crowded & you need to snag a lounge early in the day or you'll be out of luck. Good pool temp (some Palm Springs pools are too warm or too cold). Well kept grounds. This was our second visit & we will definitely return.

Room Tip: try to get in the 1000's in the Villas. Have not stayed in the Enclaves, but they have a new poo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
st charles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Yet another spring break spent getting up early and getting chairs at the pool. This Marriott is a huge property with lots of condos and unfortunately Marriott likes to have people buy into their timeshare but builds very few pools to accommodate the amount of people staying there. The 3rd day by 9:50am 99% of the chairs were taken with towels and only 20% of the people were down there. They must have had numerous complaints because the next day the security guard was removing the towels after 30 min. The condos are nice. The living room furniture is uncomfortable. We asked for a golf course and mountain view and were place in the condo facing the highway. The view was beautiful but the traffic on the highway is very noisy. Palm Desert is beautiful but unless you golf there is nothing else to do. The weather was perfect, mid 80's but again Marriott takes your money for their timeshare and then builds 3 pools to accommodate masses of people. Very disappointed with Marriott.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the first buildings by the highway. Very very noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mammoth Lakes, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

For starters I have nothing against Marriott, their name is still trusted to me. But...I recently stayed at the Marriott Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert and the final verdict is very disappointing.

I will be brief. Upon check in 3/12/13 around midnight, the front desk gentleman was very nice and friendly. He asked in a polite way if it was okay if we stayed in a handi-capable room, no problem, we can live with a walk in shower. He was nice, as was the decor of the lobby. I had high hopes, but that is as good as it got.

I asked for a room right on the golf course which I was told this room was. It wasn't, there was a pond and trees obscuring our view. The room itself was clean but I get the feeling it was wedged into the corner, rather small. I told my wife I would request a different room in the morning.

The next morning we had a tee time at a local course. We wanted to have a good breakfast then play a round. I turned on the shower and the water came out cold and stayed cold for 8-10 minutes. I had it pegged on HOT for several minutes before it turned room temperature. After a cool shower I called and requested a different room. I was told that maintenance would come out and look at the water problem. As for the room change request I was told that someone would get back to me. So we waited...and waited for a return call. Got impatient and called again and I was told again that someone would get back to me. So we waited...and waited. With the tee time looming we had to leave. Got to the course too late to eat and warm up so we teed off a bit tee'd off.

When we returned to the room, the bed was made but the pillows were left on the floor! Come on! There was no shampoo or soap either and the shower was still cold. So I called the front desk to complain about the pillows, the soap, the shower and to request a different room. I was told that maintenance would look at the cold water and someone would get back to me about the room change, so we waited...and waited. Finally left for dinner.

When we came back someone from housekeeping left us soap. Seems they grabbed an enormous handful of toiletries and put them in a garbage bag and left it on the bathroom sink. No conditioner. I would expect a garbage bag of soap from Motel 6, not Marriott. Normally wouldn't be a big deal but since my stay had been so under par, I just added that to my pile of disappointment.

Next day after a cool shower we did our best to stay away from the property. Too bad because the pools looked fun and there was plenty of things to do there...like golf. But we were too disenchanted.

Next morning, we took a cool shower and checked out, I voiced my gripes to the manager. On the way out the concierge offered us a return visit for around half price for a promotion but I was not interested.

To sum up: If someone had just gotten back to us ONCE about a different room, this whole review would not have been written. Or at least as long. But no one ever got back to us with either a yes or no. I spoke to 3 different people about a room change! I could have stayed at several other places that got better reviews and costs less, but I put my faith in the Marriott name and left very disappointed. Swing and a miss.

Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I/we were invited guests to join the owners of this 2-bedroom condo timeshare week.
We were given the master bedroom during our stay.

Some timeshare owners have the second bedroom, as part of the stay experience and this review will include/describe the 2 bedroom set up with 2nd floor end unit including balcony. The balcony boasts a barbeque and outdoor seating, which in our unit faced the golf course ponds. Ducks and rabbits abound and so the feeling of being outside away from the city, does set in a little..

It really is hard to say anything negative about this stay. The condos have most everything one could need to stay a week. Bring your own food (although there is/are plenty of restaurant choices) and modest amount of clothes (suites have a washer and dryer inside), and you are set. The kitchens are pretty well stocked with cooking utensils etc.. As well, sleep quality is/was excellent. I always recomment bringing one's own pillows but the pillows here were quite nice and not too hard!

Each condo has a main room and kitchen with separate entries to the guest rooms. As well, 2-room suites have separate outside entries, making for convenient coming/going. The main suite has a washer/dryer which is always a nice touch. ...makes it possible to bring less clothes.
Each room has its own television with a reasonable selection of cable programming.
The extra bedroom has its own microwave, coffeemaker, clothes iron, again making for a convenient stay.

The master bedroom bath doubles as the units main "restroom". As well, there is a separate bath that is part of the master bedroom. The bath has sufficient room for 2 (average sized individuals) and this was a nice feature.

The property/grounds offer daily events from movie/theater offerings to swimming, tennis, coffee mug painting, message and more. Each day offers different things to do both for adults and younger crowd(s).

The property is just a short drive to "El Paseo", the Rodeo Drive of the Desert. Bring your checkbook because most everything is expensive relatively speaking.

The weather during this time of year, Fall/Winter is hard to beat. The day and evening temperatures were modest and very enjoyable. Rain is unlikely but it never hurts to be prepared if you visit the desert resorts.

Room Tip: Choose an downstairs room for convenience. Stay by the pool if you like activity, and further away...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Spent 5 nights at the resort in a hotel-suite like room with a partial kitchen, which is mainly a fridge and microwave. We stayed in blg 2700 near the quiet pool and overlooking the golf course, 3rd floor. Really comfortable, had a great experience, would go back again. I would recommend this area for couples who want to get away and be somewhat removed from the families with young children. Wifi was fast and free. Resort is very close to the Indian Wells tennis tournament and El Paseo Drive, great shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room near the quiet pool
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After staying here the first time, my kids keep asking when we will go back. We are now planning our third trip - and the kids like it better than Hawaii. The property is great for the whole family. The water slide is a huge hit with the kids - as is the kids club house. The grown ups like the choice of multiple pools, and the poolside snack bar (plus adult beverages). The gym is outstading too. We don't use the spa services, but they seem nice.

The rooms are very nice - newly renovated, spacious, nice granite, excellent showers and tubs, comfortable beds, etc. It's great to have a kitchen so you can have famility breakfast and snacks in the room.

The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The check-in process is really time consuming and cumbesome, but one you're past that, it's all good.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge? Share your experiences!