“Love this place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Costa mesa
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband have owned a time share here for about 8 years so we visit on a regular basis. We are here as I write this. I like it here for a number of reasons. The property is very relaxing and quiet. The landscaping is beautiful and well maintained. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The best part is the activities for all ages. The Mirage Center has a small movie theater, games room, playground, pools and crafts for the kids and adults. Shuttle service is available to any part of the property free of charge.
Management responds quickly to anything that needs fixing or replacement in the units. I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: A second floor room overlooking the golf course has a great view and is quieter than the first floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Vacaville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family traded our timeshare in Tahoe to stay in PD and had a great time! The facility has lots of pools and a kids park and our villa was right on the 15th hole. We played several rounds of golf on the property and the course was in pretty good condition. The unit was also in pretty good condition and the kitchen had almost everything one would need to be happy. We would love to make the trade again in the future to stay at the Shadow Ridge. PS, the weather in mid January was WONDERFUL! 75-80 all week!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a villa on Hole 16 with agreat view of the course and conviniently close to all activities, barbeque area and the club house. The course is spectacular with challenging golf for all skill levels, fair putting greens and great views of the mountains.

Room Tip: If you like golf, ask for a room in 2600-2800.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

i really liked resort only had a studio apartment little small for a young family felt very crowded in room .we had too little time to appreciate facilties would love to visit again. staff at reception very helpful asked to stay longer on day of check out were very helpful.facilties very family orientated

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed for a week in a studio/hotel type room (I had hoped for a one bedroom w/full kitchen but we were on a time share point exchange and didn't have enough points). Our room was clean and in very good condition; it overlooked the golf course. We were very close to a lovely pool and spa. The bed was very comfortable. Double sinks in the bathroom would have been nice. Extra towels in the unit would have been amazing; when I asked a housekeeping person I saw in the hallway I easily got more though. One day we rented bikes, which there is a $10/hr per person charge for. Not a lot of places to ride unless you don't mind being on the road with cars (some places on the property were very pretty). I wasn't impressed at all with the staff at the recreation area but it was no big deal. We had a drink at Faldo's Bar and the service was FABULOUS! The waiter/bartender was so accommodating and friendly, plus the drink was really good. Next time, we'll manage our timeshare points better and get a one bedroom.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that a studio is like a hotel room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
montvale, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was a wonderful timeshare experience. Everything was perfect. I had read a few negatives so I was a little nervous about it. From the moment we entered the grounds which are beautifully landscaped until we sadly left a week later we were happy with everything. Checking in went smoothly. Before we arrived I received an email asking for my preferences - everyone of them were accommodated. We were staying with friends and they got the lock-off which was a nice size and even had its own kitchen. The rooms were quite large and nicely furnished. We each had balconies which gave us a beautiful view of the mountains, especially at sunrise. THere were at least 2 swimming pools available which were well maintained and not crowded when we were there. My only complaint is that the bathtub is in the bedroom, which we have also have found at other timeshares. i would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Request a third floor in a renovated building that faces the mountains. We were in building 2300.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I own at the other major Marriott Timeshare in Palm Desert, about 2 miles away. There were many things I liked better about this one, where I exchanged, sort of last minute. I think the landscaping here is better managed and planned. Their use of desert plants is abundant, lush and interesting. The lawn areas are also lush. The areas to take walks were prettier and more varied than at DS, and as I was walking each day, that mattered to me.

The villas all seem to overlook a golf course, and the course was in constant use. I was not in the enclaves section, not sure about those.

For me, check in was fine, as was check out.

The villas are a bit smaller than DS I, which I think is a factor of newer buildings. DS II is about the same size. The kitchen was smaller and the layout a bit awkward, lacking a place to put some of your grocery shopping, but what the heck, it's only for a week.

The gas fireplace worked well, and as we had some cool, drizzly days, this was appreciated.

The pool complex was one central large pool area with snack restaurant (burgers, pizzas) and multiple pools. There was a water slide with a life guard. The activity area is adjacent, with a dedicated movie theatre. There was ample programming for kids, making crafts, etc.

There are many lakes and ponds, part of the golf course features, but they are attractive, with native vegetation. There are also water fowl and a great many cottontail bunnies hopping around, which I found charming. I took some nice photographs of the water features and the wild life. The fencing has themed panels representing cottontail rabbits, roadrunner birds, etc. The grounds are very upscale.

A car is essential. The villas are a half mile to a mile from the check in desk, where the small marketplace is, and the fitness center. The marketplaces at all of these time share resorts are really designed to let you get an item or two you need to complete a meal, or to get you by the first night in. Two traffic lights down the road is both an Albertson's and an upscale Bristol Farms. There are restaurants in both centers, as well as back up towards the freeway in the big shopping center where the cinemas are, and all the box stores.

The on site restaurants are mainly operating to golfer's schedules. They do lunch and breakfast during the months the course is busy. On Saturday night, a heavy check in day, they stay open for dinner, or at least one does.

If you have the full two room suite, I think your sound proofing is better than if you have a lock off; I don't think the soundproofing at either DS or SR between the main suite and the lock off exists. It can be very noisy if you get a family with 3 kids stuffed into the one bedroom part.

In the main suite, the soaking tub has a slanted seat that might not be comfortable for people with bad backs.

There were some housekeeping issues, but these were promptly rectified. If you are used to staying in timeshares, you know that someone might have put away an imperfectly cleaned spatula in the drawer. The bed linens are all Marriott standard high quality with duvets, and the beds comfortable. The towels are a mix of nice and older thinner ones. If it matters, it can be changed out for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge? Share your experiences!