“Pro's and Con's to this location” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75 Willow Ridge, Palm Desert, CA 92260   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Burbank, California
“Pro's and Con's to this location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Okay, so this was our first time at this resort. There were definitely some pro's and con's - the main pro was that we LOVED our room, we were in Bldg #5, and although alot of people complained about it being miles away from the pool, it was actually a nice walk and it took at the most 7 minutes to get to the pool. We had a great patio overlooking the golf course, overall a wonderful room and very clean. Pefect size for a family of 4. The pool area - well, yes it was VERY busy, but it is summer, so that was to be expected. The highlight regarding the pool is that it is 24 hours - that is AWESOME. I see that they are putting in another pool, closer to Bldg's 4,5 & 6, so that will be nice and will definitely make things a little quieter - as it could get a little crazy at times. The big con to this location - lack of options for food. I am one of those people that love to pretty much stay in the resort, but the food at this location was terrible, everything tasted pre-made, or heated in a microwave. Even the pizza tasted like it was microwaved, it was "soggy", the sandwiches were not even made with fresh bacon, again, seemed microwaved - just awful food. I hope they add more choices or improve the food considerably as that was seriously lacking. Also, the waiters around the pool were far and few between - when they came around, they were wonderful and very nice...but you didn't see them often enough - seemed like they needed to hire more staff. I do also think that charging for parking is ridiculous, and if you are going to charge ALL spots should be shaded - I don't understand why there would be any spots that are NOT shaded, this is Palm Desert, parking in the shade makes a HUGE differance and if you are paying $15 a day, it would be nice to at least be ensured an shaded spot. Overall, we had a good time and kids LOVED the pool...I definitely see potential for this location to be amazing - but for now, my other location is still my favorite.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jackson2180, Manager at Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I apologize for the food quality and wait service. We will address this with our team. We are looking at ways to increase the variety available in our food outlets. We hope your travels bring you back to the resort.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
El Segundo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just finished a 5 day stay at the Villas. For a family vacation spot, the place was excellent. I stress the work Family. It would be great for several families to come here because all you see and hear are the kids. It you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway, perhaps this is not the location. The entire staff - from front desk to the guys who drive the carts - are all excellent. Very friendly and glad to help you out with directions, dinner spots to go to, driving you around etc. Yes, housekeeping is every several days - but there is a paper on the table that explains that. But you have all you need to keep your condo clean - and the washer/dryer was absolutely the best thing about the room. Came home and just put clothes away - no doing laundry. The Villas are part of Starwood timeshare program, but you are not pushed in any way. The concierge mentioned once that if we were interested we could meet with someone. That was it.
We are already planning on going back. Oh, and I hope you find out the secret about the golf course and the sprinklers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jackson2180, Manager at Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for providing us with your feedback. The staff will appreciate your comments regarding friendliness. We were excited to hear that the villas met your needs. Looking forward to having you back as a guest in the future.

Brentwood, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very disappointed! We're Starwood Preferred Guests - I'd hate to see how they treat non-preferred guests! Here's just some of our experiences:

- Our room, ostensibly upgraded for free at check-in, was directly adjacent to a pool construction zone. The concrete saws and scaffolding work began promptly at 7:30 AM every morning.
- HBO not working in the room. Reported and never fixed, despite promises.
- We got some important mail, which the front desk initially lost...then they opened it. It took the entire day to find where they put it.
- The port-a-potty delivery truck (presumably for the construction zone) parked in the BBQ area - that's gross.
- The pools were very crowded, which we expected, but an "adults-only" time or area would be nice. The decks and pools look like your local waterpark on a Saturday in July.
- No maid service on two of our four days - not sure what happened here.
- The golf course on the grounds wants $45-55 dollars just to rent a set of clubs? Then you still have to pay the greens fees. Are they serious? Well, yes, they are.

All in all, the place has potential. However, as it is now, I wouldn't recommend this place to my friends.

Room Tip: Stay away from buildings 3 - ?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, I apologize for the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns via telephone or email. We do use situations like this as training opportunities with our staff to be sure that we are doing right by our guests. Hoping to connect with you soon.

warren.jerome@westin.com

Culver City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Excellent choice if you don't care about the hotel amenities.
these are apartments.
I actually really liked them a lot .

Very clean . Modern, spaciouse .

Golf carts to move you around .

A little out of the way , but around here everything is spread out.

Will be back.

Next time in the desert.

Room Tip: Tip the front desk agent.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
jackson2180, Manager at Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with us. It was exciting to know that our accommodations met your needs. We appreciate you as a guest and hope you can return soon.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was recently at this hotel for 2 weeks on business.

The rooms are fantastic. They are basically small one bedroom apartments. There is a living room, small full stocked kitchen, separate bathroom and separate bedroom. There are flat screen TVs, a Bose audio system, and even a balcony with table and chairs.

I ate the restaurant once. The food was good and plentiful.

Golf and fitness services are available, but I did not partake.

The pool is large and was not crowded.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I was having trouble with my internet connectivity and it was handled professionally and quickly.

Overall, I was very happy at this hotel. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest, thank you for choosing us for your business needs. We were pleased to know that the accommodations were to your liking. The team will appreciate the comments on friendliness and helpfulness. We hope your travels bring you back to Westin Desert Willow Villas in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have been a Starwood owner for about five years, and The Westin Desert Willow Villas is the third Westin villas property at which I have stayed. Only three years old, this property mostly lives up to the Westin standards for quality and service.

I stayed on the third floor of Bldg 2. Bldgs 1&2 are closest to the pools and other amenities (2 min walk), although the other buildings are only a few mins. further. And often the staff will give rides in their golf carts.

The patios in Bldgs 1&2 face north, so you will not be viewing the sunrise or sunset from your room. Looks like Bldgs 4 or 5 are better for that.

There are three pools and two hot tubs in the main clubhouse area, all of which are open 24/7. Being a morning person, I like to sit by the pool early in the morning for some quiet time. I was very surprised to discover that they played loud (I mean, really loud) upbeat rock music and high tempo disco music all the time ... even at 6am!

When I complained to the front desk, I was first told that only an engineer or a manager could change the music, and they wouldn't be at work for a couple of hours. They also made sure to tell me that no one else had ever complained. Seemed odd and very annoying that someone in management would assume guests would enjoy that. Since most people have their own personal electronic devices these days, it hardly seems necessary, either.

Fortunately, just a few minutes later, the front desk clerk (Sonya) came out and found me at the pool, and told me she was able to turn the music off for the early morning hours. I was very happy. She also took my name and said she would make sure it stayed that way for the duration of my stay. Thank you, Sonya, for making what could have been a real "downer" of a visit into a nice, peaceful and relaxing stay ... especially my early morning quiet hours by the pool.

My villas was generally clean and well stocked. I noticed, however, that when I ran a damp towel across the bathroom floor, it turned up black. Same for my white socks when walking on the carpets. Maybe a bit more attention to floor cleaning / maintenance is needed?

The pool areas at this property are not as suited for small children under age 6 as, say, Westin Kierlands in Scottsdale (where we stayed with our grandchildren last year). There is no kiddie wading pool, but there is a nice water slide that seems popular with the school-age children. The three pools are all around 3-4 ft deep. The teenagers I saw during my stay seemed to be enjoying themselves more than the wee ones.

The only shade around the pools is from the umbrellas ... only a few young trees or taller vegetation. There is a covered sitting area off to the side of the upper pool.

Cabanas that are not rented are chained off with a "for rent" sign, so no one can use them. And during my week's stay, I never saw any cabana being used. I don't know the price, but it must be pretty steep; sad that they go to waste, when they could be placed on first-come first-serve for free or a nominal fee, if no one reserves them by a certain hour.

The market/deli on site is not very handy to the pool area. Unless you're waiting for staff to come to your deck chair, you must go a short walk up stairs or handicap ramps to get to it, as well as the Agave bar and grill. I thought the prices were a bit steep ... $12 for a breakfast burrito or burger, $3 for coffee, juice or milk. If you stay for dinner, a 6 oz. New York Steak dinner is $24. I went off site for dinner to places like Red Robin or Outback.

Palm Desert is very spread out, and this Westin property is NOT walking distance to anything, so plan on renting a car (best deal I could find was through Costco Travel). The nearest grocery store is about a 5 min drive, but most of the shopping, restaurants, etc. are along Highway 111, several miles south. Unlike some other Westin villa properties, there is no Westin hotel next door to this villa property.

For solo or couples, I would recommend this property for a return visit. However, we probably would NOT come here with our young grandchildren for a family stay.

Room Tip: Bldgs 1, 2 and 3 all face north. Bldg 4 and the (now under construction) Bldg 7 will have an adjacen...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, thank you providing us with your feedback. We use all guest comments as a tool to improve upon our service delivery. I was happy to hear that we were able to handle the music situation for you. We appreciate you advising us of the carpet concern and we will be sure to address this with our teams. We hope you can return in the near future.

Nottinghamshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This property is wonderful. Our villa was immaculate, with lovely views of the area. All surrounding areas are beautifully maintained and the pools are perfect. All staff, without exception were friendly and helpful. Our villa was a short walk from the main buildings but there was always a friendly staff member offering a lift in a golf cart.
We tried the bar terrace for happy hour. Food and drinks were excellent and at a reasonable price.
Victoria at the front desk, Kelli at the concierge desk, Bernie who kindly provides lifts by golf cart, and the general manager Jim Moran are all exceptionally friendly. Nothing is too much trouble.
This has become our favourite SVO property and we are already looking forward to our next return visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
jackson2180, Manager at Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Great Stay, we were excited to hear about the number of associates who enhanced your experience with us. We will be sure to share this information with them. We appreciate the positive comments on the villa, the pools and surrounding areas as well. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you very much for staying with us.

Warren Jerome

Been to Westin Desert Willow Villas? Share your experiences!