“Not kid friendly” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Massachusetts
“Not kid friendly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel at least five times with our kids and this time will be our last. Other family members joining us brought their kids. Aside from the pool area, Pala is a very limited experience for children. Although there is more than one jacuzzi, kids are not allowed.

We do not expect a casino of this caliber to cater to children, and we do value the chance for any adults (including ourselves) to enjoy a peaceful retreat without the disturbance of poorly behaving children. However, during our stay we were constantly treated in a condescending manner even though the children were well behaved. Staff members are everywhere to scold them if they appear to be in certain areas, even areas not marked as adults only. I do not expect children to be allowed in the casino itself, however in the process of going to the food court you must walk through the casino. We were asked to "leave" the casino with our kids when merely walking through to get food. Our kids were asked not to play on the large grassy lawn between the hotel and pool. There is no landscaping there, just grass and pathways, and the kids were not disturbing anyone or crossing the pathways. I arrived at the spa one morning a few minutes before it opened to book an appointment for my wife. My 5-year old daughter was standing next to me quietly holding my hand. A staff member unlocked the door, not to assist me, but to tell me I had to leave because kids are not allowed on the premises! She then informed me I would have to come back a few minutes later when the spa opened (I didn't mind waiting there). I could not understand being treated this way as an adult, in control of my child, ready to spend serious money for spa treatments (which I did not).

Lastly, the restaurants are very good, but after several meals bringing the kids to dine in, we just wanted to order take out and feed them outside on the patio. My wife called the Italian restaurant to inquire about ordering pizza. She was told we could order them to go. Twenty minutes later she walked down to read the menu and place our order but then was informed they would not serve us to go--that we had to dine in because they were too busy. This is the kind of thing that bothered us the whole time: an inconsistent and unwelcome stay for our our kids.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Trabuco Canyon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We decided to getaway at the spur of the moment to somewhere close by. A nice adult weekend (kids had other plans). I was a little leary of going to Pala after reading a few of the reviews but I'm glad we went. Such a great time! Nice casino and restaurants. I highly recommend The Oak Room. I had the Chilean Sea Bass. Delicious! Melts in your mouth. Our waiter, George, was very attentive, ask for him you won't be disappointed. We didn't go with intentions of winning alot of money. ! I'm assuming that's why some of the reviews were bad...sore losers. John, one of the pit bosses, was very informative about a few of the card games we had never played...Thanks! We will go back! If you go to the spa for a treatment ask for Crystal . I had a facial with her and it was one of the best ones I've ever had. I would not recommend this place for kids. This is a casino for pete sake...smoke, alcohol and all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonsall, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

My family and friends thoroughly enjoyed ourselves here as we got a cabana out by the pool, ordered lots of food, relaxed and watched some football. Had a birthday cake for my oldest son....great time had by all!!

• Stayed November 2012
SAN DIEGO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed 3 nights Oct 14,15 &16 for my birthday ,arranged by my love. She booked a petite suite but on arrival we were upgraded to a Luxury Suite on the tenth floor with a wonderful mountain view. The resort is about 6 miles off I 5 and arises unexpectedly in the middle of nowhere. The isolation and our room provided a quiet and tranquil setting. The casino always had live entertainment.
We started each morning with a trip to the jacuzzi and pool-got a little sun. Over the three days , we had NY steak and eggs at Pala cafe; cleaned up, gambled a bit and lunched at Noodles; watched a little TV and attended wonderful happy hour at Amigos-great steak tacos. We made our donations and got a lot of fun play on many of the loose slot machines. All in all, this is a terrific staycation for us San Diegans 45 minutes away; they even offer some interesting entertainment like Don Rickles and Debbie Reynolds on Feb 16th 2013. Please check out our photos..Pala is swellah ">))

Room Tip: try happy hour at Amigos...4-6pm...steak tacos
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have stayed at the Pala Resort many times. A great place for a weekend getaway or a midweek stay. Make sure to stop by Amigos for their street tacos, happy hour is from 4 to 8 everyday. They have a large pool, great place to rent a cabana and spend the day relaxing. Outside concerts are also a must, very fun.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the superior suite is very nice.
Descanso, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

It was well worth the 60 mile trip It takes me to get here. Although I have only been here three times I have been comped generously each time. I have also been getting real free play coupons in the mail. The staff and pit bosses actually go out of their way to make you have a pleasant experience,unlike a nameless casino in Alpine.
They have gourmet restaurants here the Kobe steak was excellent at the steak house,and their Italien restaurant was first rate. Many table games,one complaint some of the blackjack tables are 6-5 ,please avoid these ripoff games.

Fremont, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I'm only reviewing the hotel. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Nice decor, and I loved the bathroom. Huge! Separate shower and tub. Free parking. Just hate the smoke smell when you enter the place but what can ya do?? They don't allow coolers or any alcohol in the rooms so be smart and pack the drinks in your luggage.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Pala Casino Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!