“No Horse Pee Tea Served Here!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 80 Restaurants in Pacifica
Cuisines: Japanese
Truckee, California, United States
“No Horse Pee Tea Served Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

What a gem! After a cold and tiring afternoon surfing in Pacifica, my husband and I were craving a fresh seafood dinner. We "yelped" the closest sushi place and found Kani-Kosen, a small, by the wayside, Japanese restaurant that had a handful of "best sush" reviews.

We arrived just as the restaurant was opening and knew it was going to be a great meal when the woman who ended up being our server scolded my husband for having a bag of potato chips in his hand when reading the restaurant hours sign.

Keiko, our server, was fantastic and one of the main reasons to visit this restaurant. She was attentive and feisty and called us Sweetheart. When I asked for tea, she said to me, "You know how some tea looks like horse pee, well I don't make that tea. I make you a nice brown rice tea." She proceeded to serve us a hot pot of tea that she said to "Wait" until she returned so it could steep and she could serve in our cups. She presented her tea like a fine wine that had been aging for many years.

The second reason to visit Kani-Kosen is that it is one of the best Japanese restaurants I have been to. The miso soup had large green onions floating in it giving it a crispy texture with every sip. The sushi was fantastic and the rolls and pieces we ordered all tasted as smooth as butter.

Each occupied table received attentive service and appeared to have fantastic dishes. This hidden restaurant is just off the main highway from Pacifica and may fill up fast close to dinner time.

Visit Keiko at Kani Kosen and you are guaranteed to not only savor fresh food but enjoy the banter and true service.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pacifica
“Best sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Kani Kosen is awesome. The sushi is top quality and very fresh. The unagi is amazing. Also the lamb chops are the best I've ever had. Everything is delicious. They make an amazing ginger sauce for the fish. Live this place. Plus Kelly and Keiko are the best.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pacifica
“Best Sashimi I've ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

Sashimi is always fresh, try the Toro or Himachi tuna. Chef Kelly prepares the dish like no other. We eat there twice or more every month. Really the best Japanese food. Pacifica's secret.

San Francisco Bay Area
“Friendly place to get fresh fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Kani-Kosen felt very friendly to me - the waitresses and proprietress went out of their way to treat diners almost like family (they seemed to already know all the patrons there except for me).

It's on the expensive side, but the chirashi and tsukemono (Japanese pickled vegetables) I ordered were both relatively good values.

One of the waitresses asked how come I knew about tsukemono. (I found this amusing.) When she found out I lived on the Peninsula she recommended a Japanese grocery to me.

The pickles were yummy and the fish was quite fresh. I will go again the next time I'm in Pacifica.