“if you get near it, the aroma will draw you in!” 5 of 5 stars

831-643-2636
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Dessert, Bakeries
“if you get near it, the aroma will draw you in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

here's a cheery little bakery, part french, part local. the line can be long, but the wait is worth it. what an interesting selection. some of the best pasatries i've ever had, but you have to try the farmers bread!

Visited February 2014

Pleasanton, California
“Best Bakery in Several States”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Very popular. Closed Sunday and Monday. Sells out nearly every day so go early. Large parties. Plan to share. My grandson's donut overhung a 9 inch plate. Prices are very low for the product delivered. Plan to take it home to eat as seating is very limited and you share the space with the waiting line.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Monterey, California
“Insanely delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

OMG! Why hadn’t I been here before?!! Everything is so delicious and perfect. The Chocolate Bavarian cream bombolini was amazing and the cream inside was to die for! The mixed berry Danish was the best I have ever had. On top of that, we paid $7.5 for the bombolini, the Danish, and two coffees! Can’t beat that. Everything is fresh because they are made daily and sell out before they even close. So if you hope to choose from a good selection, get there EARLY, just after they open. Also, bring cash! They don't accept credit cards.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
“Where to start!?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We (with wife, daughter and son-in-law) arrived in Pacific Grove late Saturday night for a week's vacation. Sunday was a full day, but I had done my homework, and Pavel's was at the top of my list, so it was off early Monday morning to get pastries for everybody's breakfast. Okay, I hadn't done my homework well enough to have realized that they are closed on Sun & Mon. So, ... back on Tuesday morning. We ended up going there six times in five days.

It's a good thing we weren't there longer, because I'd be as big around as I am tall. No diet food there. Just somebody who really knows how to make pastry the consistency that comes back in dreams. Bear claws - I doubt I'll ever find anything to come close. Apricot and Peach Danish. Similar pastry consistency, perfectly matched with fresh and delicious fruit. Baguettes - It isn't Paris, but equally good in its own right.

One reviewer complained that the sandwiches were light on filling. I can understand that complaint from a large number of Americans - where a quarter-pounder has become a small hamburger patty. For me, if I want a sandwich for its meat, I'll go to a deli. If I go to a bakery like Pavel's for a sandwich, I'm going for the bread.

Pavel's alone will draw us back to Pacific Grove.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto
“Wonderful lemon cake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Although ordering over the phone was a bit of a challenge; the end product was amazing. The best lemon cake I have ever had. Absolute perfection. We were only here to pick up baked goods but it won't let me select desert from below!

• Visited March 2014