“Nice - but avarage” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages

Save Saved
You added Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages to your Saves list
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1150 Lighthouse Avenue, Pacific Grove, CA 93950 (Formerly Lighthouse Lodge & Suites)   |
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in Pacific Grove
Los Angeles, California
“Nice - but avarage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I don't have any complaints about this property. We stayed in a suit across the road from the main buildings. The property was clean. The rooms were clean. Breakfast was a very nice inclusion. I liked that each suite had a fridge - we went to Trader Joe's a few minutes up the road and got some snacks. The contact we had with the staff was minimal but everyone was pleasant.

Its not a five star hotel. Its a slightly upgraded Best Western. I had a perfectly lovely time but I could see how some people might have been expecting more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I found this place from a recommendation on The Big Sur Half Marathon website. They offered a 10% discount on a Jr. Suite, but even with the discount it still wasn't that great of a deal, especially after seeing its condition. The carpet, upholstery and furniture were old and dingy but that wasn't the deal breaker.

The night before the race, I went to bed quite early thinking I would get a peaceful night's rest before waking up at 5am. Oh man, was I wrong about that! Right after I began drifting away into slumber, I was harshly woken up by a loud incessant banging and vibrating coming from the plumbing. This lasted for a good hour, I even tried putting in ear plugs to no avail. I called the front desk and they said they would "send someone right over" which they never did. Somehow, turning the faucets in our room on and off seemed to make the racket stop temporarily but as soon as another room would use the faucets in their room, it would start again. By the time it stopped for good, I was already wide awake, full of angst and couldn't fall asleep again for hours, causing me to be in really bad shape for the half marathon in the morning. After the race, I just wanted to take a nice hot shower to soothe my aching muscles but was disappointed again when the water started sputtering out of the shower head, I ended up taking a bath instead. At least the jacuzzi bath was working! Needless to say, I needed a good night's sleep after exerting myself in the race and having had the horrible experience the night before but was woken up once again by the "water jackhammer" coming from the bathroom. I called the front desk again in the morning voicing my opinion that this was unacceptable and demanding some kind of response and/or refund. The woman asked if I had been offered another room (the answer was 'no'), said she couldn't make any "rash decisions" and needed to consult with the manager. The only thing that saved them from getting just 1-star was that the manager did refund me $100 from my bill and the breakfast was somewhat decent. It was the least they could do for putting me through such a disturbing ordeal on such an important weekend. I advised them not to give anyone else that room until they fix the plumbing. Ironically, I just read that someone else had given the same warning about room 313.

p.s. another low was when I found a pill bug crawling through the bathroom. yuck!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear djicon- As with all reviews on TripAdvisor, we appriciate you taking the time to make the review. It is my deepest apology that you stay here at Lighthouse Lodge and Cottages was not a pleasent one. Many of our reviews mention the "jackhammer" sound that can be heard on occasion in a few of our Cottage rooms. This is a porblem with many local hotels in the area, as it is caused by our location in relation to where the water comes (we are at the bottom of the hill), at the PG Water system in general, as it has not been updated. There may also be a coorlation with the time of year as well, as this sound is more prevalent this time of year. We are working with the City of PG to update the water system, and hope that you will return and have a better experience.
SF bay area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My family and I took a last-minute staycation to Monterey this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with this property. I read that it may have been a Best Western which I could totally see. It definitely is an older property with single paned windows and 70s style doors. But, it has been remodeled and was well worth the price for the location.

LOCATION: Right off Asilomar and Lighthouse, it backs into a local cemetary. My family and I did not mind at all, it made for a very quiet stay. We were in the Lodge. The Cottages were across the street and looked even more upgraded. We had no street noise, and there were only a few cars in the parking lot facing the front of the building. We even saw deer in the cemetary! It was literally a 2 minute drive to the beach, free parking in the lot.

ROOM: Large-sized room with 2 double beds, we asked for a free rollaway. The beds and mattresses were new, as was the carpet. There was a new coat of paint on the walls and new toilet and shower. Pretty clean. We were on the ground floor, a little lower than street level which made the room a little dark. But there was adequate lighting to supplement. Also, there was an old wall heater that worked well, blowing hot air into the room, but we didn't need it at night.

AMENITIES: There was a nice little BBQ for early dinner with burgers, hot dogs, basic salad, chips and cookies, perfect for children. May not be enough for adults, but it saved us time and cost of a meal. The breakfast was also good, with home-cooked scrambled eggs, bread, oatmeal and cereal.

ROOM SERVICE: I asked for extra blankets, which came very quickly. I noticed the staff starting to clean the rooms at 8 or 9am.

I would definitely stay here again for the price of $119/nt we paid!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here at Lighthosue Lodge and Cottages in one of our Lodge Double-Double rooms! We hope to see you back soon!
Santa Maria, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

After reading some of the reviews we almost stayed at the Hyatt but my husband was playing in a tournament at Pacific Grove Golf Course on Sunday so we decided to think positive and take a chance. I am so glad we did. We checked in without a problem and found our room to be above our expectation. Very nice.

We actually ended up with two extra children (friends had to travel) and still had plenty of room in the Deluxe Cottage. Two in the sofabed and my son on an inflatable with a sleeping bag. Did have trouble with the T.V. in the living room and they finally had to bring us another T.V. Comped us the better of the two wifi options for our trouble. Maintenance guy was wonderful and personable as he tried to trouble shoot and replace the card on the T.V. I wasn't put out at all because I was so pleased with the room itself.

Kids had never experienced the jetted tub 'treatment' and one by one each had their special 'spa bath'. High end toiletries added to their relaxation. (hint...made bedtime so much easier)

The clubhouse was rented out for the evening but they brought the wine and cheese party out to the ocean deck and lit the firepits. Nice spread which really helped to bridge us over until dinner. Cookies and Hot Chocolate too which we brought to our room for movie time.

The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. Biggest surprise of all was the made to order breakfast! Delicious and served quickly despite the filled room. Have the Eggs Benedict!

Hubby left early in the car but we were able to quite comfortably walk to the golf course while taking pictures of the young deer which populate the cemetary and golf course.

Tip: Buy your tickets for the aquarium at the front desk. They are less expensive and good for 2 days. Also you get to use member entrance and skip the line!!!

All of the staff were pleasant and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Thank you LHLC!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a great option for people traveling with their dog. One half of the property allows dogs while the other half is a no-dog zone so it works for both types of clientel. The location is great because you can walk right down to the scenic trail along the ocean. It is located near the Asilomar grounds, lighthouse and golf course. The side that allows dogs is next to cemetary grounds where deer graze but if you are squeamish this might be an issue.

For this area, the price is fair and staff very friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bay Area, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at the Lighthouse Lodge and Suites twice, months apart. Both times, we splurged on the suite with the jetted tub. When we checked in, the TV didn't work, the jetted tub wouldn't turn on, and the room was generally poorly maintained. The engineer couldn't fix it, so they moved us to another room. (This was after moving my son into his college all day long, and I was so exhausted and didn't look forward to packing up again and moving.) The next room was OK, but you can tell they haven't been maintained all that well.

We decided to give them another chance when my son moved back to college. Can you believe this time the tub didn't work, the lights above the vanity didn't work, and one of the TV's didn't work! Again, we had to move rooms.

Don't bother with this hotel - clearly they don't keep their rooms in working order, and I don't know about you, but after a long day the last thing I look forward to is having to inspect my entire room, only to have to move all over again.

The worst part is that on the second stay, after explaining to the manager what happened the first time and how dismayed I was having to move yet again, he wasn't even apologetic! Not only that - we were not comped or had our bill reduced in any way - not even a free soda.

Poor customer service and poor maintenance are two issues I just cannot accept in a hotel - let alone a relatively expensive one. We won't be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
santa rosa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Have stayed here 4x over past few years. Always enjoyable, with spacious, clean rooms, small fridges & microwaves. The complimentary BBQ & hot breakfast is also great, and offers us the chance to save some funds in a somewhat pricey area. It also backs up to the cemetery which affords peace and quiet in the evenings! Abundant deer viewing and within walking distance to the ocean and lighthouse.

Room Tip: Suggest rooms backing up to the cemetery for quiet.