“What a find!!! Soo much more than I expected!” 4 of 5 stars

Beachcomber Inn
1996 Sunset Dr., Pacific Grove, CA 93950   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Pacific Grove B&B and Inns
Orange County, California
“What a find!!! Soo much more than I expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

We were on a roadtrip and were passing through Monterey to see the Aquarium. We decided to ask a local shopkeeper for suggestions on affordable places to stay the night and he suggested Beachcomber Inn. When I called, the front desk was extremely friendly and gave us a great deal at $89 per night. But when we got there, she decided to cut it down to $79 because she said she gave the last couple that price. This place is really a diamond in the rough. Prime location, right at the entrance of Pebble Beach and right next to the water. The famous local favorite, the Fishwife restaurant, is next door to the B&B and we had a fantastic meal there that night. On top of everything, our room had a king size bed, was a good size, and they'd just put in a HUGE flat screen TV. And even ON TOP of all of that, breakfast is complimentary every morning (and includes fresh fruit, eggs, fresh cooked waffles, and a myriad of other selections), you can check out movies for free from the front desk (they have a pretty big selection), and you can rent out bikes for free as well to ride around the area. This place was seriously fantastic for the price. We ended up staying a second night because we loved it so much! If you are in Monterey, DEFINITELY stop by there. Our winter rates were cheap, and I'm sure summer rates are pricier, but it's still a fantastic deal and has sooo much character. Take it from someone who normally prefers more expensive and modern/hip hotels.

• Liked — Great amenities and free services (bike rentals, movies, huge breakfast, wifi), central location (close to Pebble Beach, the water, and Aquarium), very friendly and helfpul staff
  • Disliked — The rooms are a little old and may need a bit of a makeover, but it's seriously nothing to complain about for the value and location.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Valencia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

The room we had was quiet and clean. It had a couple of dings, but you can't beat the beds and the pillows. Room 26 was downstairs right next to the managers room, and they are really nice people to boot. The price is good and you are close to everything.

• Liked — good price
  • Disliked — A bit old
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I really wanted to love this place, and although I liked it in a quirky kind of way, I can't really give it more than three stars.

I booked via their own website (which is a rather odd thing with it's own theme tune - check it out, it's surreal!). I received an automated email from them saying that I'd get a confirmation shortly. After I hadn't heard from them in over a week, I emailed them back and they replied promptly but said they'd no record of the reservation request. They apologised and confirmed the reservation but you would expect the online booking system on their own website to work.

We had a booked a room with a sea view, and although you are only a hundred yards from the sea, the view is mostly obscured by thick bushes, and you can only really see the horizon. However, a boardwalk down to the sea is only a short walk away, close enough for a pre-breakfast stroll.

The building itself is dated and rather in need of some TLC - perhaps a fresh lick of paint. The fixtures in the rooms are very 1970's and looking tired and in need of repair. There were various lights and plug sockets which weren't operational.

On the plus side, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable. They had also included lots of nice little touches like sweets on the bed, and the CD-alarm player included a home-made beachcomber-branded CD of soothing tinkly music which made for a very relaxing wake up.

The hotel has a pool which was billed (on the website and on a flyer in the room) as heated. A sign outside the pool said it was open to 9pm and entry was via your room key. At a little after 8pm, we wandered down in our swimsuits ready for a swim. When we got there we were told they actually closed at 8pm, we needed to get a key from reception to open the gate and the pool wasn't heated as the equipment had broken....last year! To give them credit they did offer to open up for us after 8pm, and turned the sauna on for us which was enjoyable - if a bit bizarre, as it has a window overlooking the road so passing traffic can see you. We often swim in unheated pools but this one was too cold for using as anything but a cold-plunge post-sauna. Bit of a disappointment when a pool was a big selling point for us when booking.

Breakfast was very good and included fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, cake and make-your-own waffles. There was seating in the small reception area but with about six other people taking breakfast at the same time, it was a bit chaotic.

Other nice extras available include a large video library (video players provided in the rooms) although titles were dated.

They also have bikes available to borrow which is a great extra if you are staying for a couple of nights and want to explore.

We paid the full rack rate for the room which was pretty expensive - even with the extras like breakfast and bikes- for a dated motel room, albeit in a popular area.

The location itself is a bit out on a limb, with the Fishwife restaurant being the only proximate dining option - the food here was OK but nothing special.

If you can get a good deal here, and are prepared for an individual place with a bit of character, then I would recommend it. I kinda liked it despite it's flaws.

• Liked — Nice extras
  • Disliked — Dated and needed repairs
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Encinitas, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

I stayed 2 nights at the Beachcomber Inn with my 11 yr old son and we had a delightful time. Please remember this is not a Hotel or Resort; it is a small, very old seaside motel with all the quirks and charms you would expect from an older property. That being said, I rate it above average because I found it to be very clean, convenient and affordable with a friendly and attentive staff. We were in a very small room, #8, under the stairs (my son called it the Harry Potter room), with two twin beds and a small fridge. It had no view but it is my understanding that the rooms upstairs have a fantastic ocean view. Our room was immaculate and the beds were extremely comfortable. I found the property to be surprisingly quiet, except of course when people were standing right outside our room chatting. On a side note, please remember that some people like to sleep past 8am on vacation. A morning chat and chuckle is fine but please do be aware of your proximity to other people's rooms. The breakfast in the lobby is very good and I especially enjoyed visiting with the innkeepers. It is a short and easy walk to the beach; the tidepools and beachcombing are fantastic. The pool's (advertised) heater was broken and way too cold to swim. This was a great disappointment to my son so if this is an issue for you be sure to check its status before you book. Fishwife restaurant on site was a treat and very convenient. The food was just ok but the service was exceptionally good despite how busy they were. I would recommend it if you're staying at the motel but make reservations or put your name in early. Since this was just a casual trip with my little boy, I found the Beachcomber to be a fantastic alternative to the higher priced hotels and resorts in Carmel and Monterey during high season. I look forward to staying here again. By the way, I got a great rate by calling the Beachcomber directly and speaking to Arlene!

• Liked — The innkeepers and the great tidepools at the beach
  • Disliked — Swimming pool not heated
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

Very friendly host, the room was clean and spacious. We took the offer of using free bikes and the breakfast includes waffles! Would definitely stay there again. Good value for an expensive area and very close to Monterey attractions.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
So. Cali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

My husband and I have been traveling to the area for years we have family there that we have always stayed with in Carmel, well this time we decided to stay at a hotel and let the kids stay with the grandparents, we had always wanted to stay at the Beachcomber and we were not sorry.
Yes the hotel is old and not at all modern but it is as clean a place as you can find, they washed our bedspread!! I saw the maid walk out of our room with a crumpled spread and go back in with a folded fresh one! the plumbing is old but works wonderfully, no tub fill up when you shower and there was plenty of hot water. The staff could not have been friendlier either, we enjoyed listening to the ocean and the frogs at night, and just had a great time, we actually can't wait to stay there again, you could pay more and get fancier but I just don't know why you would bother, CLEAN, friendly, no bugs, and comfortable.

• Liked — The cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at
  • Disliked — The parking lot is terrible, make sure you back in.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vacaville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

This place was perfect for our last minute getaway. I booked it directly over the phone and the woman I spoke to gave me a discount over the phone. We got the room below low season midweek price according to the rates on the flyer we got there so I recommend calling them directly to book since you might be able to get a better rate. The location is excellent. The things we enjoyed most were the friendly staff, the proximity to the beach, the Fishwife restaurant, free bikes you can borrow, and the breakfast that was included. You can make your own waffles! Our room was kind of funky looking inside (it was on the second floor and had a sliding glass door that wouldn't open and there was a lot of space in one part of the room that felt like there was some furniture missing or something) but it was clean and the linens were good quality and clean. The bed was also very comfortable. Probably one of the nicest hotel beds I've ever slept in. There was a little road noise early in the morning, but I thought it was pretty quiet overall. We really enjoyed our stay and will more than likely return.

Stayed March 2007

Been to Beachcomber Inn? Share your experiences!